Spyin' Kop - Chelsea v Liverpool

StevenLFC

Hi guys, I am a writer at www.Redandwhitekop.com, an independent LFC website, we run a feature before each game called the Spyin' Kop. If possible could you answer these questions in as much detail as possible? Thanks in advance.

Chelsea Football Club, Champions of Europe. It was a long time coming! After so many close calls, how does it feel to finally have won the Champions League?

As I write this Chelsea are second in the league, just one point behind Manchester United, second in their Champions League group and in the quarter finals of the League cup, you must be happy about the season so far?

We now know that Di Matteo has set his team up to play attacking football, but before the season started where you at all worried that he'd play the defensive brand of football that he implemented during the late stages of last seasons's Champions League?

Fernando Torres Chelsea's Number Nine - it still feels strange writing that! He initially struggled when he joined Chelsea, possibly due to feeling pressure from Didier Drogba. Now Drogba has gone, has Torres stepped up to being Chelsea's main attacking threat?

Have any of your players stood out individually this season?

Any players who you have been disappointed with?

Liverpool had to deal with the whole 'Luis Suarez racism affair' last year, and the club were criticised for how they handled the situation. How do you feel Chelsea have dealt with the John Terry saga, and can you understand why Liverpool fans are claiming double standards by the FA as Terry only received a four game ban and Suarez was banned for eight games?

I'd like to ask you about Liverpool if I may. Our new manager is Brendan Rodgers. What did you feel about the appointment when it happened, and how do you think he's done so far?

Our record at Stamford Bridge in recent years is very good, we've won on our last three visits scoring five goals and only conceding one. Are you worried that we could make it four in a row?

Do any of our players worry you ahead of the game?

What side do you think Chelsea will put out on Sunday?

Finally, care to make a prediction?

Hi guys, I am a writer at www.Redandwhitekop.com, an independent LFC website, we run a feature before each game called the Spyin' Kop. If possible could you answer these questions in as much detail as possible? Thanks in advance.

Chelsea Football Club, Champions of Europe. It was a long time coming! After so many close calls, how does it feel to finally have won the Champions League?

Fantastic. After nearly 10 years of CL dominance, we finally win it. Maybe in not the most spectacular way, but still we showed the world our club principles. Never give up even if the world and odds are against you.

As I write this Chelsea are second in the league, just one point behind Manchester United, second in their Champions League group and in the quarter finals of the League cup, you must be happy about the season so far?

A good start to the season. I'm not expecting us to win the league or retain the CL but getting 2nd/3rd and a FA Cup/League Up + CL World Cup would be a good season in my eyes.

We now know that Di Matteo has set his team up to play attacking football, but before the season started where you at all worried that he'd play the defensive brand of football that he implemented during the late stages of last seasons's Champions League?

No. I think he did the right thing in playing like that. I don't think we had the players to play attacking football and with many of them getting on, it's very difficult to go about a new philosophy. Now we have the right players, I think he's done a fantastic job in getting us to play like this. He deserves a lot of credit.

Fernando Torres Chelsea's Number Nine - it still feels strange writing that! He initially struggled when he joined Chelsea, possibly due to feeling pressure from Didier Drogba. Now Drogba has gone, has Torres stepped up to being Chelsea's main attacking threat?

Yes and no. He has improved yes, but he just isn't the same player. Even in his last season at Liverpool he wasn't doing well (August to January). I think this was mainly due to his injury. Sometimes when a player gets injured they're never the same. He lost that yard of pace and had to alter his game. He's like a 9 1/2 now. Scoring and creating chances in balance. I get frustrated when he doesn't shoot or runs into cul de sacs and misses 1 on 1 chances but he's trying. His work rate is tremendous.

Juan Mata has been extraordinary. Dare I say a very likely Player of the Year 2012/2013?

Luiz has been poor occasionally. As well as Ivanovic.

Liverpool had to deal with the whole 'Luis Suarez racism affair' last year, and the club were criticised for how they handled the situation. How do you feel Chelsea have dealt with the John Terry saga, and can you understand why Liverpool fans are claiming double standards by the FA as Terry only received a four game ban and Suarez was banned for eight games?

The fact that JT was cleared by a court of law suggests the reason why he was only given a four match ban. I feel the Suarez incident was ridiculous anyhow. Calling someone negro is hardly racist.

I'd like to ask you about Liverpool if I may. Our new manager is Brendan Rodgers. What did you feel about the appointment when it happened, and how do you think he's done so far?

Meh. I liked him a lot better at Swansea. Maybe he needs time. Liverpool are doing shocking at the moment but I'll retain my judgement until the end of the season.

Our record at Stamford Bridge in recent years is very good, we've won on our last three visits scoring five goals and only conceding one. Are you worried that we could make it four in a row?

Of course. I hate losing to Liverpool and I'm not shy in saying I dislike them with a passion. I feel Liverpool are weaker than in previous seasons, so I'm confident we can get a win.

Suarez

Cech - Ivanovic, Terry, Cahill, Cole - Ramires, Mikel - Hazard, Oscar, Mata - Torres -

3 - 1 Chelsea.

Chelsea Football Club, Champions of Europe. It was a long time coming! After so many close calls, how does it feel to finally have won the Champions League? Fantastic.

Not with the signings we made, but i'm surprised at how quickly they have all clicked and the quick transformation.

No, can we have our money back please (he was clearly crocked before we bought him)?

Mata, Hazard & Oscar. Cech is back to his best as well.

Torres.

I think the difference was the FA found Suarez guilty of persistent abuse. I don't think either clubs dealt with it very well, but with the media witch hunt on both players it's hard to really know what to believe

I thought it was a risk, but the fact he's given the better younger players a chance is something to be positive about. I think the "Being Liverpool series hasn't done him any favours, I would cringe if I were a Liverpool fan watching that.

It's usually a tough game & we have a hard one on wed but I would be disappointed if we didn't take the points.

Suarez mainly. Sterling, Susso look good prospects.

Cech, Ivan, Luiz, JT, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Oscar, Mata, Hazard, Torres

A score draw, I imagine your best players will be rested on thur & that could be telling.

Chelsea Football Club, Champions of Europe. It was a long time coming! After so many close calls, how does it feel to finally have won the Champions League? Fantastic, doing it on penalties was just the way it had to be after Moscow. Definitely my proudest moment as a Chelsea fan.

As I write this Chelsea are second in the league, just one point behind Manchester United, second in their Champions League group and in the quarter finals of the League cup, you must be happy about the season so far? It's been good, I do wish we'd have made more of an effort in the Super Cup. The Man Utd game was a massive low point as we were genuinely robbed.

We now know that Di Matteo has set his team up to play attacking football, but before the season started where you at all worried that he'd play the defensive brand of football that he implemented during the late stages of last seasons's Champions League? I wasn't worried at all, I knew we'd sign different kinds of players, the team we had last season suited the more defensive style especially after AVBs attack no defence team.

Fernando Torres Chelsea's Number Nine - it still feels strange writing that! He initially struggled when he joined Chelsea, possibly due to feeling pressure from Didier Drogba. Now Drogba has gone, has Torres stepped up to being Chelsea's main attacking threat? Nope, not the same player he used to be unfortunately but he's started this season ok, just need some consistency from the lad.

Have any of your players stood out individually this season? Mata has been the best player in the league, Hazard has been good and even when he hasn't hes showed in a pass or two why he's so good. Oscar has been impressive too seems to have adapted very quickly to the physicality of the EPL. Also want to give mention to Mikel has stepped up this season.

Any players who you have been disappointed with? Torres for obvious reasons, lack if commitment at times. Luiz in patches as I thought he'd matured.

Liverpool had to deal with the whole 'Luis Suarez racism affair' last year, and the club were criticised for how they handled the situation. How do you feel Chelsea have dealt with the John Terry saga, and can you understand why Liverpool fans are claiming double standards by the FA as Terry only received a four game ban and Suarez was banned for eight games? Well Suarez was done for multiple occasions whether we agree or not rules are rules. Personally on JT I don't get how a court of law finds you not guilty yet the FA does. Absolute joke!

I'd like to ask you about Liverpool if I may. Our new manager is Brendan Rodgers. What did you feel about the appointment when it happened, and how do you think he's done so far? Good appointment, he needs time to get in his own players he didn't exactly inherit a squad that was suited to his style. I actually think you'll give him time.

Our record at Stamford Bridge in recent years is very good, we've won on our last three visits scoring five goals and only conceding one. Are you worried that we could make it four in a row? I am a little but I feel we will be too strong but you just don't know

Do any of our players worry you ahead of the game? Suarez very dangerous, also the height of Agger n Skrtel

What side do you think Chelsea will put out on Sunday? Cech, A Cole, Terry, Luiz, Ivan, Mikel, Ramires, Oscar, Hazard, Mata & Torres

Finally, care to make a prediction? 2-1 us, Suarez for you, Hazard and Torres for us

Estatic, we had to jump over pits of fire/snakes/spikes/red cards but we got it done - finally.

I've been happy with the way we started but the recent unfair loss to United stung, and stung sharply.

Ambramovich has been after a Chelsea team akin to Barcelona and the players he has brought in reflects this well. Di Matteo is the man for the job but this team is still gelling. We have what is arguably the best midfield in the league but our problem lies with our strikers.

He's had some glimmers of brilliance (Arsenal, Newcastle, Tottenham etc) but overall he has yet to meet the standard left by Drogba. Drogba continues to haunt Torres even when he's several continents away... I have faith in Torres but I think that a good 90% of the posters here have run out of paitence.

The triumviate of Oscar/Hazard/Mata strikes absolute terror into defenders. Hazard and Oscar have been phenomenal signings and they have clicked well with Juan Mata, who at the moment is easily our best player. Whatever goals our "Three Amigos" let slip Torres is there try pickup.

Mikel was getting some flak at the start of the season but the main scapegoat at the moment is Torres, hands down. We even have a thread called "Groundhog's Day" which is essentially 20+ pages of Torres bashing.

Chelsea have done all that they can about the John Terry saga. Terry was cleared of his allegations in a crown court only for the FA to consider themselves above the law and find him guilty anyway. The actions of the FA have enraged Chelsea fans and the recent issue surrounding Mikel being racially abused by that w**ker Clattenberg and the FA's reluctance to pursue their own as much as they did John Terry has only enraged us further. Suarez doesn't do himself any favours in the media much like Terry but the difference is Terry is English and Suarez isn't... sorry but I think it's really that simple.

I feel for Rodgers, he's been asked to build the Acropolis with a combination of Play-Do and LEGO... Liverpool need to spend and spend big in the January window or I fear for a relegation battle. If the owners want Rodgers to do a good job they need to fully back him.

At the moment I cannot see a frankly mediocre Liverpool side standing a shadow of a chance against a new and energized Chelsea. By this time Lampard will be fully back, we'd have John Terry back, Juan Mata/Eden Hazard/Oscar will all be starting... I fear for you. :sad:

Suarez is in good form, he scored a cracker against Newcastle the other day! Gerrard has been known to give us a handful as well.

Cech/Ivanovic/Cole/Terry/Cahill/Lampard/Mikel/Hazard/Oscar/Mata/Torres

I can't see us keeping a clean sheet but I certainly cannot see us losing, 4-1 to Chelsea.

Definitely. I wasn't really expecting us to be title contenders (maybe a little more so after we signed Hazard) and we've bombed in the League Cup in recent years so it's good to go on a decent run and sack off Man Utd in the way that we did. We're looking a little shaky in the Champions League however and getting out of the group is paramount; anything other than three points in midweek and we're in serious sh*t.

Not really. I remember Di Matteo as a particularly offensive-minded coach at West Brom and I was impressed at his adaptability in our Champions League victory. I don't necessarily mind defensive football (especially when we're as good at it as we were under Mourinho and Hiddink), but the team was pretty forward-thinking under Ancelotti, a trend which was continued irresponsibly by AVB, and I didn't see why Di Matteo would move away from that (apart from a temporary deviation to win the Champions League), especially when we have seen what he was capable of at West Brom.

Not really, although he is good in the buildup and has started working a lot harder than at the beginning of his career here. There are tiny and occasional moments of greatness but in terms of dangerous runs and one-on-ones and personally being able to intimidate an opposition defence he's still way off. If he had even half of Sturridge's ability to get on the end of chances who knows what he could achieve.

Juan Mata, such vision on the ball, passing ability and influence in attack. I don't know that anyone in the league has played better than he has this season.

David Luiz, while still generally good, has been making a lot more silly mistakes than he did last season. It seemed like it might be something he was beginning to phase out of his game, but all the lapses in concentration and silly losses of possession are coming back to haunt us.

Yes, although with the results of the actual court trial it may have been a little harder to tag Terry with a ban than Suarez. The FA already had to bend over backwards and break their own rules in order to get him anything at all.

I was curious although didn't have great expectations of him. He did alright here, and did well carrying on Martinez's work at Swansea, but I don't feel like the cap fits here. Results-wise Liverpool seem just as inconsistent as in the last few seasons and I don't expect that to change any time soon. In light of that, I don't know that he'll necessarily end up with a fate any different to that of his immediate predecessors...

Yes, the words 'smash' and 'grab' come to mind. Frankly we do still owe you a battering (although our last meaningful meeting was a decisive blue victory - the FA Cup Final), and I hope we can get our league form back on track.

Suarez, his pace and ability to operate between the lines is gonna be a pain in the arse. Might have to put him in my fantasy football team just to jinx him for the weekend. Also Brad Jones, if we can equate a run of playing poorly to constipation, then Jones has one almighty performance brewing. Quite often those tend to be against us, plus it would be just Torres' luck, right?

This seems to be our first XI this season, I assume no one will be rested:

(4-2-3-1) Cech; Ivanovic - Luiz - Terry - Cole; Mikel - Ramires; Mata - Oscar - Hazard; Torres

1-1 , we'll probably clog up each other's midfield play so it'll be a battle of who can score more goals out of Glen Johnson and Ivanovic.

It never really sank in properly. "We're European Champions", can say it but still can't comprehend it really.

It's been going quite well so far, though there are still plenty of things that need improving. Still a long way to go though, so no point getting too excited yet.

Not really. Last year was very different, we had a worse squad and in those Barca and Bayern games we were in trouble with injuries and suspensions, so he did what he needed to to win, and it worked. This year we've splashed out on more creative players, so we were always going to approach the game very differently.

No, not really. He's shown glimpses of quality, but nowhere near enough. Most of the fans have finally come around to the realisation now that if we're going to challenge for the league, he's not going to be good enough to lead our line. I expect a new striker to come in January and Torres to be gone by this time next year.

Cech's continued his fine form. Cahill has been much better than Luiz but seems RDM prefers the hairy one. Hazard has light up the place with some amazing bits if play and Oscar is showing great potential. But the obvious answer is Mata. The little Juan has been out of this world.

Luiz. He has moments of quality but for a CB he is a massive liability. Ivanovic has also been poor at RB mostly this season. ANd Torres obviously.

If Suarez had gone to court and been aquited, I doubt they would have given him 8 games. Terry was proven innocent by the court of law, but the trial by media had long since been concluded, and they had already stripped him of the England captaincy, so they couldn't appear to be wrong, a 4-game ban was their way of proving themselves "right".

He was okay when he was managing our youth team and did well at Swansea, but since going to Liverpool it's become apparent he is a bit of a David Brent character. Lots of buzz words and phrases he comes out with, very little meaning behind any of it. Also what kind of tosser has a massive picture of himself on his wall?

You will make it four, I have no doubt we're going to lose.

Suarez is in good form, and Sterling could cause Cole/Ivanovic lots of problems. Other than that, not really.

Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Torres

3-2 Liverpool

Im surprised by the expectation for rodgers to fail, he has the team playing a good brand of football, albeit rather inconsistently and without the clinical edge right now, but surely this is something that is obvious is going to take time to build up? We're not in any danger of relegation so i dont think there's any reason to not give rodgers the time required and many other liverpool fans feel the same, it gets a bit boring constantly changing managers and expecting a quick fix, I agree that he can throw about buzz words a lot but that doesn't take away the fact that he knows football, he really knows what he's talking about and the tactics he's going for. Probably the best thing about him is that he isn't afraid to change up tactics when needed, something past managers have stubbornly refused to do,

It was an amazing feeling, as you say so many close calls and so much heartbreak. To win it in the dramatic, nerve wracking way that we did in a season with so many low points made it a really special moment.

Really couldn't have asked for much more as far as the league has gone this season. Being so far off the pace last year I wasn't really full of optimism this season as far as a title challenge went but we are looking great. Got robbed by the ref vs Man U and conceded an unfortunate late goal to Swansea but things are looking very promising.

​Not at all. RDM has shown throughout his managerial career prior to Chelsea, at both MK Dons and West Brom that he is a very offensive minded manager and that was to such an extent at West Brom that it cost him his job. Last season he came into a team in crises and did what he had to do with the players that he had at his disposal. Now that he has a few more players to suit his style in we can see him really make a mark on the playing style of the squad.

He has had his moments and his goal tally is respectable this season but he still doesn't look great and certainly a shadow of the player that he was at Liverpool. Saying that he will have the backing of Stamford Bridge for as long as he remains our number 9.

Juan Mata is a very special player and after such a spectacular debut season in England there were a few worries that he would have second season syndrome but there has been no chance of that. He is the heartbeat of our team and we are far better with him than without him. Shoutout to Eden Hazard, settled very quickly into English football and certainly seems to be justifying the hype

Not going to point out any individuals but our defence has been a tad shaky this season and it is something that we will need to sort out if we are to keep up our title challenge

The circumstances were different between the two. I understand the whole negrito thing and being lost in translation may have made things quite harsh on Suarez but he was charged with using racist language towards another player whilst JT was just charged with using racist language.

Also the fact that JT had been cleared in a court of law means that the FA had to change their rules to get a ruling against JT. I felt Liverpool handled the situation horrendously and made the situation a lot worse, we have handled things far more tactfully.

I have a lot of time for Rodgers, really respect what he did with Swansea and he was a coach at Chelsea prior to that. After AVB's sacking he was one of the names I threw around as a potential replacement although I did think it was a bit early for him to take over at a big club.

He has Liverpool playing some great football just really lacking that end product but that could well be down to your quite unbelievable lack of goalscorers in the team. Something that i'm sure will be rectified come January. I watched that being liverpool show and as cheesy as it was it shows that Brendan is a really classy guy.

Your record against Chelsea home and away has been fantastic in recent seasons unfortunately, really don't see anything but a Chelsea win this time around but then again I said that last season as well so who knows.

Suarez, he is a class apart from the rest of your squad and someone that could cause our defence nightmares.

Our standard 11 these days I would expect:

-----------------------Cech

--Ivan-----------JT--------Cahill-------Cole

--------------Mikel-------Ramires

--Mata---------------Oscar-----------Hazard

--------------------Torres

I will go for 3-1 Chelsea

I feel rather privileged to have seen the lads lift the FA cup, Premier League and Champions League in my time of supporting Chelsea. Each first time brought an amazing feeling, the Champions league brought relief, joy, amazement and vindication after so many tries and screwing ourselves, the opposition screwing us or the ref screwing us we finally landed, what had been termed by others, the "holy grail"

Happy enough so far, but concerned that now we have entered November, our rather controversial loss to United followed by losing 2 late points at Swansea our usual winter slump could hit us again. Our Champions League campaign so far has not been good enough, the dropping of 2 points at home to Juve from 2-0 up as much as the defeat in Donetsk.

Not really from when I saw we had signed Hazard and Oscar. These sort of players, combined with losing the Drog, meant winning with such a style would prove rather hard.

No in my opinion. He does ok, but a player of his ability should do far more than ok. I doubt he would be more than the second striker if we had another good alternative to him, but Danny is just too raw it seems in the eyes of RDM.

A few, the obvious one is Juan Mata. Hazard, Oscar, Ramires, Mikel, Cahill and Cech all deserve mentions for doing very well so far in their respective roles.

Torres, Ivanovic and Cole would be right up there. They are far better than they are showing so far.

Both situations were stupid and indicative of the climate we now live in. Racism is the buzz word that is thrown about very easily to make trouble. I can see why Liverpool fans were upset, and I know why we were upset as well.

He plays the game in a good way and, if given time and money he could make Liverpool a challenger for major honours again. So far it has not been so great, but is not easy changing a side without the funds United or a wealthy owner can bring in. I do not think he will be given the backing by the Liverpool owners needs, or from the Kop over time either. From what I hear a lot of your fans want Benitez back and I would not be surprised to hear his name ring around Anfield again soon, if it has not started already.

Not worried, my childhood best friend is a big Kopitie so the dislike/hatred that has developed for some Liverpool/Chelsea fans never hit me. Not that I like losing to you guys in any form, but we watched many games we did not get directly too and never had any trouble between us. You could make it four in a row, but facing United and Arsenal leaves me far more concerned my week ahead would be awful if we lost than it does facing Liverpool; especially at this stage of the season.

Again not worry, but I respect the game-changing abilities of Saurez, Gerrard and Sahin. Dan Agger is also a very well rounded defender and Renia a top class keeper on his day.

If all are fit: Cech, Brana, Luiz, JT, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Torres.

2-2

Edited by axman2526

It felt fantastic at the time (although my head didn’t the next day) and still feels fabulous now. My only caveat is that I have a problem with the tag ‘Champions of Europe’ when you win it in a season when you are so far off the pace in your domestic league which we were (as were Liverpool when they won it). It seems odd to claim you are champions of a continent when you are nowhere near the best team in your own league.

I am delighted with how things have gone so far. Bit of a mini blip recently with a couple of CL results (the Man Utd league result doesn’t bother me as that was a freak game) and the Swansea draw but we are more competitive than I expected us to be at this stage of the season.

We now know that Di Matteo has set his team up to play attacking football, but before the season started where you at all worried that he'd play the defensive brand of football that he implemented during the late stages of last season’s' Champions League?

Before we made the signings we did I half expected a similar approach however once the transfer policy became apparent it was clear that we would be adopting a different style as the players we were bringing in were not capable of playing such a game regularly. It isn’t just the style of players but also the age profile which gave me confidence that things were changing. The football in the late stages on the CL were born out of necessity due to the low ebb of confidence and the fact we really only had two players capable of the unexpected.

Not in the slightest. Torres is nowhere near the threat Drogba was. Even when he was at his best at Liverpool he was never the complete player Drogs was and so there is no chance he has stepped up now that he is a pale shadow of the player he once was. He is struggling as much now as he did when he first joined us and no longer has the fall back ‘excuse’ of being played as a backup. It is a sad demise for a player who was once such a threat but I feel his days as a key player for a top drawer side are over.

Mata is the obvious one. Head and shoulders our best player so far (and benefited greatly from the short rest he got) and along with RVP the best attacking player in the Premiership so far this season. Hazard had a breathtaking start to his time as a Chelsea player and has maybe dropped a little but it would be unreasonable to expect him to maintain that start. Oscar has shown that he is clearly a top drawer player and as he gets more experience and becomes more consistent he is going to be top drawer.

Both our full backs (Ivan and Cole) have not played at the level they have set in previous years and Luiz is always going to be a player that will be great one second then do something daft the next.

I actually think Chelsea dealt with it fine. They stood by their captain whilst the court proceedings were ongoing and this is appropriate. Once he was found not guilty I think the FA intervention was ridiculous as they are ill equipped to pass a conflicting judgment to one reached by a court of law. That they changed the charge was simply to allow themselves to get round their own policy and procedures. Personally I don’t think it is double standards as the FA were the only body taking disciplinary action against Suarez and the offences were deemed to be different. I would have considered it double standards if Suarez had also faced a legal charge and been acquitted. Terry’s defence, whilst maybe not believed by all, was a defence that could not be proved to be incorrect whereas Suarez admitted to use of racist language in an aggressive manner. I do have some sympathy with the defence that it is not considered racist in his own culture however the law of the land is the one you live in rather than the one you have left behind. Denying you have called someone a racist term (and using that term in the denial) is not racist behaviour in the eyes of the law and anyone being sensible can surely see that. I repeat that I accept that not everybody will believe that defence however the bottom line is that nobody could prove otherwise.

I didn’t really think much about it to be honest. So far I think he has done about as well as he could given that his hands are tied due to the amount of money thrown at average players over the past few years. He has had the strength of character to bring in youth players who he feel can do a better job than the big money signings and credit to him for that. I think letting Carroll go was a mistake, not because I think he is a great player but because it has left you very limited in terms of options – one injury to Suarez and you are in a world of trouble. It will be interesting to see how well Rodgers does once he has had two or three transfer windows to further strengthen the squad however this will require patience on the part of the owners.

Always. You definitely raise your game against the likes of us and United which is actually indicative of a poor mentality within the squad because you then tend to follow it up with lacklustre performances against clubs like West Brom.

Suarez is the obvious one. Keeping him quiet is essential. If we can do that and play anywhere near our best we should have too much for you. Give him too much space and play like we did against Swansea then we are asking for trouble.

Cech, Cole, Terry, Cahill, Ivan, Mikel, Ramires, Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Torres although I would personally rather start with Sturridge and I suspect Luiz might play instead of Cahill

2-1 to us

Chelsea Football Club, Champions of Europe. It was a long time coming! After so many close calls, how does it feel to finally have won the Champions League? It wasn't that long coming. Bar one season in 99/00, we've only been playing in the CL regularly since 2003/04....so we won it within 9 years. That aside....it feels good obviously.

As I write this Chelsea are second in the league, just one point behind Manchester United, second in their Champions League group and in the quarter finals of the League cup, you must be happy about the season so far? Yup....although we look vunerable at times. I welcome the return on Terry to the defence for the organisation he brings.

We now know that Di Matteo has set his team up to play attacking football, but before the season started where you at all worried that he'd play the defensive brand of football that he implemented during the late stages of last seasons's Champions League? It depends who we're playing.....if we played Barca tomorrow, I'd be more than happy for us to play pragmatically again. No point playing expansively and getting spanked. I certainly wouldn't want us approaching that game in the same way as we would against Norwich at home. I don't think there was ever any danger of Chelsea playing against the majority of Premiership teams as we did against Barca or Bayern. Only an idiot would think that. We did what we had to do to win.

Fernando Torres Chelsea's Number Nine - it still feels strange writing that! He initially struggled when he joined Chelsea, possibly due to feeling pressure from Didier Drogba. Now Drogba has gone, has Torres stepped up to being Chelsea's main attacking threat? Nope. I know others disagree, but for me he is still the weak link. He has a few fleeting moments where it looks like his form may return.....but overall, he disappoints me.

Have any of your players stood out individually this season? Mata has been the best player this season.

Any players who you have been disappointed with? Can't complain too much. As I said, Torres frustrates me, but he has had some good games this season too. And although I like him, Luiz's lack of discipline is cause for concern.

Liverpool had to deal with the whole 'Luis Suarez racism affair' last year, and the club were criticised for how they handled the situation. How do you feel Chelsea have dealt with the John Terry saga, and can you understand why Liverpool fans are claiming double standards by the FA as Terry only received a four game ban and Suarez was banned for eight games? I think the club's line was that he was found innocent in a court of law. And yeah of course I can see why Liverpool fans claimed double standards....there never seems to be any consistency with any of their punishments. To ban Suarez for 8 and Terry for 4 (and Ferdinand not at all) doesn't really make sense. That said, Terry could feel aggrieved with being fined a load more....which again doesn't make sense.

I'd like to ask you about Liverpool if I may. Our new manager is Brendan Rodgers. What did you feel about the appointment when it happened, and how do you think he's done so far? He obviously has potential given the job he did at Swansea but I think taking over Liverpool now would be a hard job for anyone. If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd have preferred Dalglish to stay. The documentary of Liverpool was a bit cringe inducing regarding Rodgers. His platitudes and face patting were cheesier than a tramp's bell end.

Our record at Stamford Bridge in recent years is very good, we've won on our last three visits scoring five goals and only conceding one. Are you worried that we could make it four in a row? Not really worried. Of course you could and if you do, you do. One of those three games was Dalglish's first game which gave Liverpool an added boost and the other two were against Chelsea managed by AVB. The likes of WBA, QPR and Villa managed to beat us with that div in charge. These things go in cycles anyway.....Liverpool didn't win at Stamford Bridge between 1989 and 2003 (before Chelsea were formed in many Liverpool supporter's eyes...clearly supporters with bad memories) but that meant nothing when they did actually win there.

Do any of our players worry you ahead of the game? Suarez. I don't think Liverpool are a one-man team as some suggest, but he is certainly the one player who can create something out of nothing....as he proved against Newcastle.

What side do you think Chelsea will put out on Sunday? Pretty much the same that has been playing recently bar Terry's return. Probably at the expense of Cahill.

Finally, care to make a prediction? Nope. It's futile.

Edited by BernardLambourde

It's a beautiful thing. In an alternate universe where the pitch isn't quite as slick in Moscow and Ranieri doesn't lose his mind in Monaco and Ovrebo is never born and Liverpool aren't awarded a goal they never scored, we could easily have two, three, four or five European titles by now. The victory in München was special for a number of reasons - for it being our first, for it having come after such an arduous season where things looked so bleak a few months prior, for it to have come with a Chelsea legend at the helm, for the way it ended with Drogba's header and the climactic shootout, etc. The best part is that the victory offers a release from any of the heartbreak of the past. Those things still happened, it's still unfortunate, but they don't bother me any more. We're champions, what if scenarios are beneath us.

Of course. The result in the league against Man U rankles me because there's no way they deserved more than a point from that game, but it's important to look at the bigger picture. We're playing exciting football, we've got a veritable bounty of young talent that's only going to improve, we've got a strong group of youth players both playing as U-21's and on loan and I believe we have the right man in charge. As long as we finish in the top 3 and give a good account in Europe, I'll be satisfied with this season. Of course, the potential for more is there and that's definitely exciting.

No, he did what he had to do to win. Last year he only had Juan Mata as a maestro who could pull the strings and he had tired out from overuse in the latter stages of the year. Now he has a rested Mata who's taken his game to a new level along with two of the brightest young talents in the world in Hazard and Oscar. There's genuine quality and depth of wide players for the first time since Duff and Robben. There's no way that Robbie could afford to take this team and play defensive football, it simply wouldn't make sense. Everybody knows Roman wants exciting football and he surely wasn't investing so much money in the aforementioned players to sit back and 1-0 everybody. Furthermore, when Robbie managed West Brom, they played exciting football and were one of the most attacking sides in the league. They couldn't defend, of course, but it shows that Robbie will adapt his tactics to the team he has, the mark of a quality manager.

I think a much bigger reason that he initially struggled when joining Chelsea is that you lot had run him into the ground, he no longer had the legs he once did and his confidence was shot. He's recovered some of his pace since then, but it's clear that he isn't as explosive as he once was. His confidence seems to have increased by some measure, but he still has baffling moments where he seems reluctant to shoot. All things considered, he's played at an acceptable level for us this year, but he isn't our main attacking threat. His goals against Newcastle and Arsenal were brilliant and classic Torres, but he's been ineffective in other games. I want more from him, but I don't think he's been a liability.

Mata's been brilliant. He was great last year, but he's playing on an entirely different level. His level of influence is unmatched in this side. Brilliant from the run of play, brilliant from set pieces, just a little magician out there who's cementing himself as one of the best attacking players in the entire world. At only 24, it's scary to think we might not have seen the best from him yet. Hazard's stood out for his dribbling and the danger he poses, but he's still getting accustomed to the Premiership and has had some quiet matches. It's clear that he's at his best when paired with Mata - the two of them combine brilliantly. Oscar has also stood out for the maturity and well rounded nature of his game. He may well turn out to be the best of the three, which is high praise considering we're talking about Mata and Hazard. I've also been consistently impressed with Mikel, who plays a crucial role that's overlooked by many, including some Chelsea supporters.

Ivanovic. He was arguably the best right back in the Premiership last year, but has been dire to begin this. The only positive from his performance so far is that he's found the net a number of times, but I'd prefer that he cease allowing opposing wingers to blow past him on a regular basis. I'm not as down on Luiz as many, but I'm disappointed to see that he's relapsed into being mistake prone this year after it seemed he had sorted much of that out. Cole hasn't performed up to par either, but he started last year slowly and finished strong, so I'm more apt to give him the benefit of the doubt. I probably could have simplified that to say "our defense", although it wouldn't have been fair on Terry or Cahill.

No, I can't. The FA explained quite clearly their rationale for giving Suarez a harsher punishment than Terry and it made sense (probably the only thing they've said that's made sense). He was found to have repeatedly abused Evra whereas Terry was found to have only abused Ferdinand once. This is all outlined in their judgments which can be found online. If Liverpool fans want to criticize the FA for making a dog and pony show out of the Suarez incident, that's a different story, but I don't think they have any basis to cry double standards with regard to Terry. Beyond that, Terry was acquitted in a proper court and that should've been the end of it. The whole thing still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, particularly the parade of closet racists and hypocrites who all clamored for their fifteen minutes of fame to assassinate Terry's character, decry the sad state of modern football and widen the racial divide that sadly does exist in our society. We're all worse off as a result. With regard to the manner in which Chelsea handled the situation, I believe the right thing was done. Terry is our captain and deserves to retain the armband. The club stood by him when it might have been politically convenient to throw him under the bus. His acquittal in court completely justifies the club's position in my opinion.

Don't particularly like him, I felt that Roberto Martinez would have been a better hire. I don't think he's done well so far, obviously, but it's not entirely his fault. The team doesn't have much talent in key positions where it's needed. It wouldn't be fair to properly evaluate him until he's been given a chance to actually spend a reasonable amount of money. There's no reason Dalglish should have been allowed to piss away so much money on awful players whilst Rodgers is forced to scrape together loose change to bring in the players he needs.

No.

Pacy wingers have given us a lot of trouble so far this year, so I'd expect that Sterling will be a handful. Suarez is also a concern, both for his ability to create danger and his tendency to flop to the ground like he's been shot.

Assuming everybody's fit: Cech, Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole, Mikel, Ramires, Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Torres.

4-2 Chelsea.

It felt amazing, and when it went to Penalties, especially after the whole debacle that happened against the Mancs. I also thought, that after we were mad at Drogba for getting sent off for slapping Vidic (should've punched the fu**er) he became an instant hero for his header and his winning penalty. Still got a long way to go to get to your tally.

Yes of course I am. To be honest, I though that Di Matteo had basically pulled the club together and we rode our way into the final, certainly we got some breaks, but we also showed great commitment. So, I thought at first the year contract he was offered was obligatory, but then the club has supported him with some great players and we are exciting...although I wouldn't mind some of the defence we were known for come back into the game.

Sorry, but I have kind of answered this in the last post. But I think RDM played with what we had last season, and then in the off season was obviously supported with some great young players, and is playing a brand of football more in his vision.

This is the deal, LFC got a STUPID amount of money for him, and if it weren't for that, I don't think we'd have such high hopes for him. Obviously he is a great striker, but I fear it's at the point that we really could be saying he "was" a great striker. To be honest, I wanted him from Atletico when you lot got him; now, I think he may be a bit of a Sheva Mk II

Mata is continuing his form of last season, I think he is a gem. Then I think Ramires is a great little engine in the middle and has put Lampard (rightfully at his age) on the bench. However, I can' get away from being awed by Oscar and Hazard

Ivan, although he's been popping up with goals, hasn't been quite where he was. Luiz a little because I thought he had lost the silly mistakes that led to the Neville comment of "Play Station" player. Oh, and Torres.

I think there are some similarities, but then because of the fact that there was a criminal trial, which Terry was cleared of, before it got to the FA, I think the FA couldn't punish Terry as much as they wanted. Either way, the press got more sh*t to sling at us and further vilify Terry. You want to talk double standards, look at how Ryan "I shag my brother's missus" Giggs gets away Scot Free, while Terry was vilified for supposedly shagging his ex team mate's ex girlfriend.

I think that Brendan is a great manager, I just hope that for your sake FSG stick by him and give him the players he need. Obviously he has a knack for bringing through young talent. Due to his time at Chelsea, I was, in a way, hoping that he may come back one day. But we have an ex player in charge, and you have a great manager Best of luck, just not against us, please :)

Yes of course I am worried, always am when we play you guys. I also want to put it here that I don't consider Liverpool as "hated" as a load of people seem to do. I think a lot of it is more recent, and really was perpetuated by Sky during the Rafa v Jose years. We've had some great matches in the CL recently, and it's always guaranteed excitement. But I prefer to hate Tottenham, and I'm sure you'd all be happy just hating the Mancs.

​Suarez. he is to Liverpool this season what RVP was to Arsenal last. The player every opponent loves to hate. But, unlike Joey barton or Robbie Savage, most wouldn't mind having a player like Suarez in their team.

Cech

Ivan Terry Luiz Cole

Mikel Ramires

Mata Oscar Hazard

Torres

No, I never bet on Chelsea, and I never make predictions.

Thanks

Thank you StephenLFC - nice work and see it's appreciated on your forum. There's no need to motivate Liverpool for a Chelsea match I guess!

As to the match itself, I find it hard to call. Chelsea are in the early stages of a generational change, as indeed are Liverpool. This one is usually good though, so I'm looking forward to some fine entertainment on Sunday.