Is it time to look at a new captain?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

John Terry has had a setback in his injury today and ruled out of the club World Cup. Given his lack of matches this season through suspension and injury etc and the fact he only has next season left before his contract is up, is it time we looked at his replacements?

Don't get me wrong, I think terry embodies CFC! He is a leader of men and despite off field contrevsies, a good role model at the club. However, his absence has been noticeable, no-one has stepped up to the plate and I seriously don't agree with goalkeepers as captains. If we take te arm band off him, players will still look up to him due to his reputation and his loyalty to the club.

For me part of the transition hangs on the balance of who will be the next captain. I am sceptical under the current regime as to whether jt will be handed an extension next season. I would very much like to see it but I say the same about cole and lampard. So maybe the time has come to name a successor.

The obvious candidate for me is David luiz. He signed a 5 year deal at the club so we know we view him as a long term player. He has his mistakes but so have all our defensive players this season. What he does have is character and I heard Gary Neville say the same thing last night. He appeals to the fans the same way drogba did, he plays with passion, he loves the club and he has the ability to make things happen. Now my opinion is obviously going to be met with mixed reviews but is this something we need to strongly consider going forwards?

For me Mata is a good candidate. Clearly a very respected player, intelligent, sensible and not likely to cause any trouble. Whether or not he yet has the leadership qualities i dont know but id mark him as future potential captain material (if we can hang onto him).

John Terry should remain club captain up until he plays his last second for Chelsea though.

For me Mata is a good candidate. Clearly a very respected player, intelligent, sensible and not likely to cause any trouble. Whether or not he yet has the leadership qualities i dont know but id mark him as future potential captain material (if we can hang onto him).

John Terry should remain club captain up until he plays his last second for Chelsea though.

I wouldn't be adverse to keeping terry on but at this moment in time I feel that instead of giving Cech the band because he is a senior player, we should be marking someone out and giving the players someone to look up to once terry is gone

Luiz couldn't captain a dinghy.

Cahill for me, seems a natural replacement for JT somehow. Tall like JT, known for scoring from corners with his head like JT. He IS JT, just with a different face.

Edited by Blueblur

Guest RFC_CFC

I'm not sold on Luiz being captain at the minute.

He has so much to learn disipline wise and to be captain you really need to have that in abundance.

Maybe in the future but he for me does not tick enough of the boxes.

While Terry is at Chelsea he will be captain, whether he wears the armband or not. Without him we are half the team.

Cahill? I might upset a few people here. I like him. He's obviously a danger at set-pieces. He has a good attitude. He was part of that glorious night in Munich. As a defender however .. He's not fit to lick Terry's boots and he never will be. We could do far better and I think we will, sooner rather than later. At the top level, I just don't think he's good enough.

I thought against Bayern Cahill put in one of the best CB performances I can remember

Disagree. On second viewing our defence wasn't half as good as it looked to me on first viewing, from behind my couch, Ashley Cole excepted of course (he was excellent). Luiz and Cahill had just come back from injuries but both (along with Bossy) were caught out a few times, and Bayern missed their fair share of chances. Gomez did Cahill like a kipper a couple of times in the box but couldn't finish. However I will say that Cahill made one great saving clearance in the second-half, where he threw himself at the ball. It was certainly not one of the great CB performances. His performance against Barca at the Bridge in the semi was far better, where he played alongside the immaculate Terry. The bottom line is defenders such as Terry and Cole are world-class, and that's the difference.

Guest RFC_CFC

We all see it differently at times.

I think he is a fantastic centre back who when Terry is missing is out best centre back by some distance.

We all see it differently at times.

I think he is a fantastic centre back who when Terry is missing is out best centre back by some distance.

I'm not trying to dig Cahill out or anything I just don't think he's a good enough defender to be our captain, as I don't think he's assured of a place in the side. To illustrate what I'm trying to say regarding Gomez in the CL final, Van Persie did it to him twice in the recent league clash against Utd. Exactly the same thing. A sharp bit of movement and Cahill was undone by it, for Van Persie's first and also for the moment he set up Young leading to the first red card. Sure, you might see JT get undone by that sort of thing, but very, very rarely, because against the likes of Van Persie (i.e. the very best) Terry is up to the task, whereas Cahill is not quite at that level, and for that reason, at a club like Chelsea, not good enough to be captain. In fact, I would go further, I would say, in comparison with Terry, Cahill is light years behind, defensively.

Edit: Against the very best, you get undone once and it's curtains. Titles are won and lost by small margins. Thankfully for us Gomez isn't at the level of Van Persie.

Edited by Davey Baby

Tricky one..

Logically it has to be someone who is going to be a first team choice (barring injury/resting), and be capable of vocally leading the team on the pitch, especially when things aren't going well.

The problem is we don't appear to have anyone that fits into BOTH categories?

My heart says Luiz, my head says Cahill, but neither seem to merge the two for me personally. 

I'm not sure about Mata, as he really doesn't appear to have a dominant enough personality, he's just too 'nice'

Gary Cahill or Juan Mata, has to be one of those two.

David Luiz wouldn't be a bad call either, he's a bit eccentric but still.

All three of those are liked across the EPL, Juan Mata especially (any fan of United/City/Arsenal/Spurs who says they hate Juan Mata is f**king lying); they never get into trouble off the pitch, put in masses of effort on the pitch, and are all influential players (Mata especially).

I'm not trying to dig Cahill out or anything I just don't think he's a good enough defender to be our captain, as I don't think he's assured of a

place in the side. To illustrate what I'm trying to say regarding Gomez in the CL final, Van Persie did it to him twice in the recent league clash against Utd. Exactly the same thing. A sharp bit of movement and Cahill was undone by it, for Van Persie's first and also for the moment he set up Young leading to the first red card. Sure, you might see JT get undone by that sort of thing, but very, very rarely, because against the likes of Van Persie (i.e. the very best) Terry is up to the task, whereas Cahill is not quite at that level, and for that reason, at a club like Chelsea, not good enough to be captain. In fact, I would go further, I would say, in comparison with Terry, Cahill is light years behind, defensively.

Edit: Against the very best, you get undone once and it's curtains. Titles are won and lost by small margins. Thankfully for us Gomez isn't at the level of Van Persie.

Considering cahill was not fully fit I thought he was out standing. He signed from Bolton and within a few months he was playing in a cl final not fully fit and dealt with it really well. I think your being a little harsh on him.

Considering cahill was not fully fit I thought he was out standing. He signed from Bolton and within a few months he was playing in a cl final not fully fit and dealt with it really well. I think your being a little harsh on him.

Not to stir a hornets nest but what strikes me with Cahill is he isn't a guaranteed starter for his country. I like Cahill he has been a good signing but he isn't a complete defender. He regularly makes mistakes...more so than luiz but I don't think he gets picked on by the media in the same way luiz does

Luiz couldn't captain a dinghy.

The united home league game, look at who bustled the team back to play like we knew they could after a horror start. Then tell me that guy couldn't captain a dinghy.

Theres only one Captain while Jon Terry is at this Club. But when he is absent, along with Frank Lampard who is the other obvious choice we should have a stand in ready. For me there are two choices, Cahill and Luiz.

Cahils the obvious choice, he's like terry version two, not quite as good as the original but there's still nothing wrong with his game. The game against west ham, where Cahill got a kick to the head reminded me so much of Terry, willing to put his head on anything and his body on the line. Remember Terry got a kick to the head as well, albeit a more serious one. A captaincy role may just help him mature even more, let him begin to step into the big shoes of what is undoubtedly our best youth product in a very long time. He's strong, English and a real presence on the field. Like I said, Terry V2.

Luiz is the other choice, the rash, crazy Brazilian may not be everyone's choice simply because of his 'character' but as with Cahill it may be the one thing he needs to mature and become a real leader on the field. He has undoubted quality but he's not a mature Cb, those rash decisions are the one point of his game that's stopping him becoming one of the big boys. Would an armband help him as a player? Only time could tell but it is an option and both players will probably be around another 5 years or so.

Theres no other real option for me, cole and Ivan are a little to old to take it on now, surely we should be looking to the future as regards captaincy, especially as John is still having an active role on the field. It would be a simple no to any of the attacking three, there all too small and 'nice' to be a dominant leader which with some of our players is exactly what we need.

Mikel is another choice, he's going to be around for a while longer and may just well break the record for appearances for us. He's a big lad as well, but with the constant moaning towards ref's is that really what we need?

Luiz or Cahill get my vote. But while Terry and Lampard are fit theres only one captain, and one vice captain.