Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

• 2 weeks later...
Hazard: "Every week I repeat the same on PSG. It’s a big team, but an inferior league" 

Hazard: "I don't want to return to France, because I've won everything there - league title, cup, best player, best young player" 

Hazard: "I don't want to say PSG is a step backwards, but It would be returning to something I already know."

Hazard: "Jose Mourinho and I get along well. I've lots of respect for him. He gives me a lot of confidence" 

Hazard (1/2): "The image I had of Mourinho, before he came, is still the same I have now - he's a big manager, who's won everything.."

Hazard (2/2): "...who shares his experience and is close to his players. Mourinho defends us all the time."

Hazard: "Every week I repeat the same on PSG. It’s a big team, but an inferior league"

Hazard: "I don't want to return to France, because I've won everything there - league title, cup, best player, best young player"

Hazard: "I don't want to say PSG is a step backwards, but It would be returning to something I already know."

Hazard: "Jose Mourinho and I get along well. I've lots of respect for him. He gives me a lot of confidence"

Hazard (1/2): "The image I had of Mourinho, before he came, is still the same I have now - he's a big manager, who's won everything.."

Hazard (2/2): "...who shares his experience and is close to his players. Mourinho defends us all the time."

he never said that, did he?

His output in terms of goals is way below average. At this rate I dun't think he'll even come close to Bale or Neymar let alone challenging for Ballon'd Or with Ronaldo.

I really expected alot from him this season in terms of goals he has scored only 2 in 13 apps including 1 penalty.

Although I agree his overall performance has improved a lot since last season but from his personal point of view it's below average in terms of output.

His output in terms of goals is way below average. At this rate I dun't think he'll even come close to Bale or Neymar let alone challenging for Ballon'd Or with Ronaldo.

I really expected alot from him this season in terms of goals he has scored only 2 in 13 apps including 1 penalty.

Although I agree his overall performance has improved a lot since last season but from his personal point of view it's below average in terms of output.

You can't judge Premier League players by La Liga standards, even the greatest players in the league's history haven't come close to putting up the numbers that some of the current La Liga crop of players are managing mainly because the gulf in ability isn't as big and overral the Premier League is more competitive.

You can't judge Premier League players by La Liga standards, even the greatest players in the league's history haven't come close to putting up the numbers that some of the current La Liga crop of players are managing mainly because the gulf in ability isn't as big and overral the Premier League is more competitive.

Exactly, Barca and RM score between 3 - 6 goals every week FFS (barring the two games between them, and maybe Athletico) it's a goal fest for Ronaldo and Messi.

No premier league player (Don't forget Eden isn't even an attacker like they are !!)can ever get near their goal tally.

The Ballon shouldn't be based purely on goals anyway, especially in such a 'loaded' situation.

As for his input being 'below average' i'm sorry but that's utter tosh !!

He has been excellent in most games this season for us, and i bet if you put the 'overall game' of say Ronaldo next to him there wont be a lot of difference.

I really don't get the continuous 'picking' at hazard on here, we should thank our lucky stars, and give thanks to every god going that he plays for us.

What the f**k do people expect, he's been given a job WITHIN in a TEAM unlike the other two always mentioned who's team plays around THEIR needs, and in the grand scheme of things he does his job every bit as well as they do, we're top of a very difficult league, and he's playing a major part in that, despite having the sh*te kicked out of him every week. 

And breathe......

Gosh.. I'm not criticizing him or his performance... You can clearly see I have mentioned that his overall performance has improved from last season.

He says he wants to win Ballon D' Or and wants to reach the goal scoring heights of Ronaldo and Messi. For it he needs to score a lot more than he is doing currently.

Remember it's HIS words not mine.

The EPL and La Liga are virtually identical in terms of average goals per game so I don't think what you've claimed is strictly true.

Man City, Liverpool and even Chelsea have handed out thrashings on a regular basis. We've also seen Suarez, Bale and now Costa score at a rate that suggests high totals are possible. I don't think we can just write this off to a petty circumstance by saying Hazard is limited by what league he plays in. There are plenty of opportunities for Hazard to pad his tally, he just doesn't take them.

That's not necessarily a criticism. Jose's interview was extremely revealing in thia regard. Hazard just isn't the kind of person out for glory and like Hazard's father suggests, it's his mindset that "limits" him.

Perfect example would be the penalty he won against Arsenal. We all know he could pull off that run against any team at any time, but he limits hinself. Right now, he's a perfect team player, but I think Jose will develop a ruthlessness to him that will manifest itself in more goals- we just need to be patient.

I think Hazard is ahead of Neymar personally.

But Hazard has been known from since he at Lillie to usually kick off by January time in the 2nd half of the season. It has been that case for the past two seasons for us anyhow, he seems to get better later on as the season progresses. I think he has got plenty more to show us later on so I'm pretty excited, he was fantastic last season, very good the season before that, what will he be this season? I would say so far judging from the start of last season he has been better this season.

Looking at it very optimistically of course, but regardless I have no doubts that Hazard is going to impress again.

The EPL and La Liga are virtually identical in terms of average goals per game so I don't think what you've claimed is strictly true

But I would venture that Barca and Real are getting the lion's share of the average goals, just look at Real's scored already this season they're averaging about four goals a game.

No player has ever maintained a better than one in two ratio in the Premier League and I maintain that it is because overall it is a more competitive league.

Hazard probably is more than capable of scoring more but to think he can match the figures being put up in Spain is, I think, wishful thinking.

I think Hazard is ahead of Neymar personally.

But Hazard has been known from since he at Lillie to usually kick off by January time in the 2nd half of the season. It has been that case for the past two seasons for us anyhow, he seems to get better later on as the season progresses. I think he has got plenty more to show us later on so I'm pretty excited, he was fantastic last season, very good the season before that, what will he be this season? I would say so far judging from the start of last season he has been better this season.

Looking at it very optimistically of course, but regardless I have no doubts that Hazard is going to impress again.

I wouldn't say that. He scored his last PL non-penalty goal on the 08-Feb-14 last season and had his last assist on the 01-Mar-14. Then nothing but 2 penalty goals.

To be honest, he was only productive in October-February last season. 4 months.

I think he needs to play more central if we demand more goals from him. Usually he's running from the wide position from the left, by the time he get past 2 defenders, the angle of shooting would be closed by the defenders in the middle. Let me play in the middle, you get the scenario like the penalty against Arsenal. It won't work every time, but the odds will be a lot higher. Having said that, I have no complain about his performance so far, Costa has been scoring, so we don't really miss his goals that much.

But I would venture that Barca and Real are getting the lion's share of the average goals, just look at Real's scored already this season they're averaging about four goals a game.

No player has ever maintained a better than one in two ratio in the Premier League and I maintain that it is because overall it is a more competitive league.

Hazard probably is more than capable of scoring more but to think he can match the figures being put up in Spain is, I think, wishful thinking.

I agree that Barcelona and Real dominate the goalscoring charts, but we had a similar pattern in the EPL. Two dominant attacking forces (City, Liverpool) who accounted for around 20% of the total goals scored. The two leagues are not as dissimilar as people argue, yes there are differences but the evidence is every season that they seem to cancel out. Madrid have had a wonderful start to the season but it's only 8 games old, hardly enough time to develop a reliable prediction of how many goals they will score. By way of counter-example, we smacked 6 away from home against a top-6 team- is that a measure of the EPL's 'competitiveness'? No, it was an anomaly, and when we look at long-term averages the two leagues remain pretty much the same.

The second thing, and I imagine we both agree on this, is that Ronaldo and Messi are terrible yardsticks in that they combine once-in-a-generation talent with the luxury of having teams geared to their whims. I think a fairer comparison is with Suarez or Bale.

I'm with icecoolguy in that I think it's a combination of Hazard's attitude but also the fact the team actually uses him pretty poorly. I posted on here earlier about how little time Hazard has on the ball compared to his counterparts but how incredibly efficient he is with it. He certainly has the ability to match Suarez or Bale for their output but I guess there are things he and the team need to work on.

I wouldn't say that. He scored his last PL non-penalty goal on the 08-Feb-14 last season and had his last assist on the 01-Mar-14. Then nothing but 2 penalty goals.

To be honest, he was only productive in October-February last season. 4 months.

If you look at the stats sure, but on the performances he seems to really come alive later in the season.

If you look at the stats sure, but on the performances he seems to really come alive later in the season.

Well, we needed him to be productive later in the season and he wasn't. Oscar got a lot of stick for not being consistent last season, but Hazard wasn't that consistent in the second half of the season either.

Well, we needed him to be productive later in the season and he wasn't. Oscar got a lot of stick for not being consistent last season, but Hazard wasn't that consistent in the second half of the season either.

He wasn't? Do you not remember the Fulham game and such? We had to rely on Hazard for just about anything.

When we went to first place late January or early Feb we really struggled  staying up there and got some dodgy wins, like the Everton 1-0 win and no creativity was coming from anywhere except from Hazard. Willian and Oscar kind of dipped at the same time and we pretty much had Hazard to rely on for the rest of the season but unfortunately for him he had to come off on the PSG game and when he came back he had little impact but it was coming to the end of the season anyway.

He wasn't? Do you not remember the Fulham game and such? We had to rely on Hazard for just about anything.

When we went to first place late January or early Feb we really struggled  staying up there and got some dodgy wins, like the Everton 1-0 win and no creativity was coming from anywhere except from Hazard. Willian and Oscar kind of dipped at the same time and we pretty much had Hazard to rely on for the rest of the season but unfortunately for him he had to come off on the PSG game and when he came back he had little impact but it was coming to the end of the season anyway.

The Fullham game was pretty much his last truly productive game. It was on the 1st of March. After that he didn't have any non-penalty goals or assists in the PL. So in the second half of the season he was productive in January-February and had a dip in form after that. That's why I can't say he got better later in the season. He was sub-par in the beginning of the season, then got better and was fantastic in October-February, and then pretty average in March-May with occasional good games. 

Edited by Ward