Strengthening the Defence

Nathaniel_Jones

There has been recent talk about Mourinho strengthening the defence and in my opinion CB and LB need to be looked at closely. 

RB:

We have the right-back option filled nicely with Azpilicueta playing well this season, with Ivanovic and Wallace as back up incase.

CB:

At CB I think we need a new young talent. JT is becoming more injury prone and past his best, Cahill and Ivanovic have been solid but if Azpilicueta gets injured we are low on choices. In my opinion David Luiz needs to be given a chance and i'm sure Mourinho will get the best out of him. Yet if he is use more as a CDM then we will need a new face. LB:

Maybe bringing in a young back-up player such as Luke Shaw or Fabio Coentrao would be a good idea as even though Bertrand is good, he's not going to be world-class.

Main Position to think about :

Possible CB'S :

• I have been really impressed by Varane whenever he has played for Madrid and I think he'll be a perfect addition to the squad.
  • Dede has also been superb this season and possibly the best CB in Brazil at the moment, and pretty cheap.
  • Mangala has also been really good this year, yet he could be very costly.

Who would you like to see bought into defence or do you think it is good as it is?

There has been recent talk about Mourinho strengthening the defence and in my opinion CB and LB need to be looked at closely. 

RB:

We have the right-back option filled nicely with Azpilicueta playing well this season, with Ivanovic and Wallace as back up incase.

CB:

At CB I think we need a new young talent. JT is becoming more injury prone and past his best, Cahill and Ivanovic have been solid but if Azpilicueta gets injured we are low on choices. In my opinion David Luiz needs to be given a chance and i'm sure Mourinho will get the best out of him. Yet if he is use more as a CDM then we will need a new face. LB:

Maybe bringing in a young back-up player such as Luke Shaw or Fabio Coentrao would be a good idea as even though Bertrand is good, he's not going to be world-class.

Main Position to think about :

Possible CB'S :

• I have been really impressed by Varane whenever he has played for Madrid and I think he'll be a perfect addition to the squad.
  • Dede has also been superb this season and possibly the best CB in Brazil at the moment, and pretty cheap.
  • Mangala has also been really good this year, yet he could be very costly.

Who would you like to see bought into defence or do you think it is good as it is?

Dede has only just moved to Cruzeiro so i doubt he would join.

Varane would be my choice but Madrid would want a lot of money for him and rightly so.

Mangala i haven't seen enough off so cannot comment.

Makes me wonder if we have considered Kalas, Bruma (Off to PSV Apperently), Or maybe buy back Rajkovic (We have a clause i believe) if he can get a work permit

I fully agree with buying a new CB though, We definetly need cover at least. (I don't overly rate Cahill). Not many top class CB's available though

Varane would be my choice but Madrid would want a lot of money for him and rightly so.

Makes me wonder if we have considered Kalas, Bruma (Off to PSV Apperently), Or maybe buy back Rajkovic (We have a clause i believe) if he can get a work permit

I fully agree with buying a new CB though, We definetly need cover at least. (I don't overly rate Cahill). Not many top class CB's available though

Pretty much this.

rajkovic is an idiot. good riddance i say

I heard we're keeping Omeruo this season?

Varane is a pipe dream I can't see us getting him, Mangala is a possibility but we'd have to move quickly.

I don't think a LB is important this year with Ash and Bertrand, however if United are sniffing around Shaw we might have to move now to get him, but send him back out on loan.

Why get rid of Luiz? He has improved dramatically since he first signed, his reputation has increased 10 fold, we aren't a selling team so I don't see how selling one of our better players would help us at all, however I do think we should invest in a CB who has the potential to become one of the best, I think sending the young players like Chalobah,

Kalas, Ake and Bruma on loan to BPL clubs to gain some much needed experience.

Why get rid of Luiz? He has improved dramatically since he first signed, his reputation has increased 10 fold, we aren't a selling team so I don't see how selling one of our better players would help us at all, however I do think we should invest in a CB who has the potential to become one of the best, I think sending the young players like Chalobah,

Kalas, Ake and Bruma on loan to BPL clubs to gain some much needed experience.

I am really flummoxed about why people even mention Bruma. A bit like the Romeu fascination. There is no evidence that either are going to be good enough for us. If anything, we know that Bruma is quite ordinary after he couldn't even hold down a semi-regular spot in Hamburg. Please don't base these statements on 2-3 year old hype.

On the other hand, Luiz is awesome! We shouldn't let him go.

Archived