New Phone Advice / Opinions

Zola

I am due an upgrade at the end of July and I am unsure of what to go with next.

I have a Samsung S2. I have had it almost 18 months. Its been a super phone for a little over a year. With updates over time its become progressively slower (still very usable, but I am impatient). Now that its on JellyBean it is becoming annoyingly slow and I have to say I am looking forward to getting an upgrade.

I was on the iPhone before, and to be honest I can have few complaints about it, other than the price and a few features that were better at the time on Samsung. I was happy to move.

Now I am not sure what to do.

I'll not be going near the Nokia / Sony phones as I don't like them.

The HTC One looks interesting. The S4 looks good. The iPhone is always a decent shout.

The cons of Samsung is all the loaded app crap that comes with it, I don't want to have to 'root' my phone to make it fast and they way I want it.

There is an attraction for the iPhone as it just works, but the small screen annoys me.

Any thoughts /opinions on any new phones?

:)

Guy at work who wheels and deals in phones says the Samsung S4 is OK-ish, but isn't any useful improvement over the S3, which he says is still one of the best, for what it's worth.  He's getting me an unlocked S3 and we think the price will be well under 200. (Is that good?  My current phone came through Tesco rewards vouchers and ended up costing me £9.50)

Guy at work who wheels and deals in phones says the Samsung S4 is OK-ish, but isn't any useful improvement over the S3, which he says is still one of the best, for what it's worth.  He's getting me an unlocked S3 and we think the price will be well under 200. (Is that good?  My current phone came through Tesco rewards vouchers and ended up costing me £9.50)

I've got the S3 and have had all the Galaxy phones but not yet the S4, theres loads the S3 does that I don't use so I doubt I need the S4, I think they're pretty good and the big screens good if you like to see what you're looking at :smile:

I sold an S3 about a month ago to envirophone for £220 so it must be worth £200 if you want one.

Samsung are leaving iPhones behind now.  The iPhone 5 is going to have pull out all the stops if it wants to keep up. Most people I know who use iPhones are only sticking with it now because of iTunes.

Samsung are leaving iPhones behind now.  The iPhone 5 is going to have pull out all the stops if it wants to keep up. Most people I know who use iPhones are only sticking with it now because of iTunes.

Agreed. The only reason I stuck with mine for so long was because of Imessage.

The HTC One looks interesting. The S4 looks good. The iPhone is always a decent shout.

The cons of Samsung is all the loaded app crap that comes with it, I don't want to have to 'root' my phone to make it fast and they way I want it.

It may be the other end, but there will be a pure android edition from Google for both the S4 and the HTC One.

I have a Nexus 4, the first thing I did was to root it and install CyanogenMod :)

If I were to get an Android phone, it would be the Nexus 4 or the Samsung S4.

The Samsung's hardware specs are pretty much second-to-none. However, I like the Nexus 4 because it's straight from Google. From what I've been told (have mates that own both), the Nexus 4 has a lot less bloatware than the Samsung. I've read rumours that a new Google Nexus phone is to debut in the fall based upon Motorola hardware.

I'm still content with my iPhone 4S. I'm waiting to see what Apple has in store for the iPhone 6 next year (assuming the 5S is what comes out this fall).

If I were to get an Android phone, it would be the Nexus 4 or the Samsung S4.

The Samsung's hardware specs are pretty much second-to-none. However, I like the Nexus 4 because it's straight from Google. From what I've been told (have mates that own both), the Nexus 4 has a lot less bloatware than the Samsung. I've read rumours that a new Google Nexus phone is to debut in the fall based upon Motorola hardware.

I'm still content with my iPhone 4S. I'm waiting to see what Apple has in store for the iPhone 6 next year (assuming the 5S is what comes out this fall).

Nexus phones run pure, stock Android so basically have no bloatware. Unless you consider the standard Google apps bloatware but that would defeat the purpose of getting an Android phone :)

Google has acquired Motorola Mobility so once the already developed models run out all Motorola phones will be kind of Nexus phones.

Nexus phones run pure, stock Android so basically have no bloatware. Unless you consider the standard Google apps bloatware but that would defeat the purpose of getting an Android phone :)

Google has acquired Motorola Mobility so once the already developed models run out all Motorola phones will be kind of Nexus phones.

Yeah, Samsung touchwiz is a bit sh*t but easily got rid of thankfully.

When you run a root - does the interface and everything change? How do you know what is the best one to use etc?

Rooting the phone just gives you full privileges and access to your device.

I assume you mean installing a custom ROM. Yes, the look and feel can change considerably depending on how much customisation that ROM has. I use CyanogenMod which has very few cosmetic changes it mostly aims to introduce new features way ahead of the official releases. There is no best ROM. You should try some and use the one that suits you most.

I would strongly advise though to first understand the process, how you can undo it and how to do full backups ;) Titanium Backup Pro can also be very useful, for me it was worth every cent. The xda-developers forum is full of guides and a great source of information.

I've got a tablet (some cheap Chinese knock-off) that started not working very well about 6 months after the bloke I bought it from was kicked off of Ebay.  A bloke a work says that if I "root" it and take a shedload of stuff off, it will be fine again.  Is there anywhere I can get decent instructions on how to do this without making it into more of a paperweight than it already is?  Once I can get into the OS, I'm happy enough, it's just the whole process and sources and stuff

Cheers

Kev

Depends what OS it is mate, if its just android (Jelly bean, or Ice cream sandwich or whatever) then as long as you have USB connection it should be pretty straight forward. Give us the details and I`ll see what I can find.

Cheers mate - it's just Android 2.3 and has a USb port.  I'm quite happy to mess around with it because, at the moment it's less use than a Fat Waiter at a football cloob. The battery goes from full charge to dead in about 20 minutes, mostly because it thinks it's a phone so is constantly polling for a mobile signal and running cell standby.

This seems as good an idea as any, but with the news that by 2014 roaming charges will be banned within the EU because it's seen as a restriction of movement, does this mean we can get a contract from any country in the EU and pay the same price?

So theoretically, if say German (poor choice, as things are expensive there) phone contracts are significantly cheaper, we could just sign up for one and use it anywhere within the EU for no extra fee? Or would a local address usually be required? Either way, it'll work with pay as you go.

Archived