Did we make a mistake in not signing Neymar?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

A very talented forward who could have been pinnacle in helping us achieve big things in the coming seasons and previous couple seasons. Should we have pulled out all the stops to have gained his services? 

I would say no. 

There's no doubting the boy is talented but I would question if he would do well in the Premier League and I don't think he would be a good fit at Chelsea. 

Despite our revolving door on managers our sides are always built on the collective efforts of the team and not individuals and Neymar is very much an individual. 

He's basically a bit of a ball hog and doesn't release the ball early enough or at all on many occasions.

He had a decent but not exceptional first season at Barca and it's no coincidence that his form wasn't as good in a team where he has a player (Messi) who is better than him and the focus is on them.

If we had bought Neymar we wouldn't have ended up with Hazard and I'm more than happy with Hazard and think he is a better fit for us in terms of playing style and mentality.  

I wouldnt say it was a mistake because we tried and he turned up down. We didnt pull the plug so not a mistake.

From what i read it, Neymar was our number 1 target and when he turned us down we moved on to Torres. So looking back was that a mistake? Oh hell YES!

Bearing in mind we met his release clause at 27m, I think it was a shame we didn't sign him at the time as his ability and price tag have improved significantly.

I don't think it was a mistake missing out on him, at the price barca ended up laying though, buy he is a fantastic talent.

I don't think anyone could say with any certainty his game would struggle in England, smaller players gave succeeded, more physical players have failed. He has time on his side so I'm sure he will adapt to European football, Ronaldinho didn't set the world alight at psg, but went on to win ballon d'or, I think neymar is capable of doing the same.

Would I take him over hazard though? No chance!

Guest RFC_CFC

Who knows.

Sometimes players who set the world alight in other countries don't work like Shevchenko and co.

I'd say he has had a pretty decent debut season in Spain and obviously is doing very well in the world cup.

I think he is talented enough that he'd be a good player for us if he had signed but as Uno said we didn't make a mistake as we bid for him and he turned us down....not much more we could have done.

I think its very hard to stand out as an attacker or striker in Barca because of Messi. You look at the strikers they have had but they havent looked as good playing for them because Messi hogs all the space.

I think talent wise Hazard and Neymar are about even but for me Hazard doesnt turn up enough at the moment. Having a good couple of weeks and then a quiet couple of weeks isnt good enough. He needs to be turning up 9 times out of 10.

I wouldnt say it was a mistake because we tried and he turned up down. We didnt pull the plug so not a mistake.

From what i read it, Neymar was our number 1 target and when he turned us down we moved on to Torres. So looking back was that a mistake? Oh hell YES!

Pretty much this,

From the sounds of it we pulled out all the stops to get him and just couldn't pull it of. We didn't overlook him, so you can't say we made a mistake. Whether or not the method of acquisition was rubbish is another conversation but they f**king recruited pele to try and get him to say.

On ability we have missed out. He is a fantastic talent. Need's focusing but amazing player and would succeed in any league and will do in Spain as well. I wanted him for some time but as a central striker, not this winger free role bull he's occupying for brazil. 

Any way, win some you loose some

Guest RFC_CFC

I don't know if you can class being Brazil's all time 6th highest goalscorer at 22 as being overrated.

Think people need to remember last season was his first outside Brazil, he didn't too badly at all for Barca considering he was only 21. Look at Eden in his first year for us...his second was much improved and this will be the same with Neymar IMO.

As you say his international goal record is outstanding and he's got a crazy amount of caps for his age.

Guest RFC_CFC

We will see if it was a mistake, it's too early to tell. I'm glad we didn't pay 150M for him as it's been reported Barca did.

It was only £27 million at the time we were bidding for him.

Exactly. It's like asking a girl to marry you, she turns you down, and then a year later you think "was it a mistake not to marry her"?

We wanted Neymar and were close to signing him, but in the end he said no. Can't blame the club for trying, but the likes of Real and Barca will always be more prestigious destinations for players from South America and quite a few European countries.

I fully expect Hazard to eventually move on to one of the La Liga giants in a few years (hopefully, not for a while). 

Guest RFC_CFC

I fully expect Hazard to eventually move on to one of the La Liga giants in a few years (hopefully, not for a while).

Me too.

Dreading that day but it's likely to happen...Just look at Ronaldo.

Guest RFC_CFC

If we would have bought him we would never have signed Hazard, and I wouldn't swap Hazard for anyone

Messi?