Filipe Luis - Yes or No?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

^ No & he isn't even close to being the best LB. Alaba, Alba, Lahm (on the left are better) and I would even throw in Marcelo. Atletico Madrid's defence only look that solid because they sit in deep and are well organised, UEFA who rate him as the best LB also have Ivanovic as the best RB.

BTW, there is already a Luis thread.

Not for me ... he's a good player but too old, little or no re-sale value and too much money ... a short sighted quick fix ... in a few years time I suspect we will be looking for a longer term replacement ... FFP is being overlooked for this transfer and we have to be very careful because we definitely have other positions still to fill.

Yes, I don't care about resale value at all, if he comes, gives us a good 2-3 seasons and wins trophies with us then he will have been worth it. We're Chelsea FC not Arsenal we don't sign youngsters to sell on after a few years when they've developed into good players. We sign players who can produce and win trophies now.

But no to another thread when there's already one

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

^ No & he isn't even close to being the best LB. Alaba, Alba, Lahm (on the left are better) and I would even throw in Marcelo. Atletico Madrid's defence only look that solid because they sit in deep and are well organised, UEFA who rate him as the best LB also have Ivanovic as the best RB.

Given that I don't rate Marcelo and Lahm isn't a natural left back... that's what, two or three that are better than him? And that's not close to being the best left back?

Edited by Teritus

LOL? Alaba and Alba are not better than him. Lahm is no LB.

And by your logic, Cahill and Azpi, Terry are not good defenders just because they play for the team who parks the bus..

I like him and he is one of the top LB around right now. However i would prefer someone younger like Rodriguez and i would of preferred Shaw although his price was too high.

Shaw wouod not have suited Mourinho's style of play, I think some people don't think about stuff like this other than simply he's a fast attacking left back. He's not the best defensively and the fact he gets touted as the next Gareth Bale is just stupid. Why because he's an average defender who can attack and started off at Southampton just like Bale?

Shaw wouod not have suited Mourinho's style of play, I think some people don't think about stuff like this other than simply he's a fast attacking left back. He's not the best defensively and the fact he gets touted as the next Gareth Bale is just stupid. Why because he's an average defender who can attack and started off at Southampton just like Bale?

How can you say an 18 yr old wouldn't suit mourinho's style of play? At that age I'm sure he could have easily adapted to how Mourinho would have asked him to play.

Has shaw even developed a set style yet?

How can you say an 18 yr old wouldn't suit mourinho's style of play? At that age I'm sure he could have easily adapted to how Mourinho would have asked him to play.

Has shaw even developed a set style yet?

I'm talking the style of player he is, Mourinho likes his fullbacks to defend and Shaw is clearly an attacking fullback, he obviously needs to mature defensively but would he get time to do that in our team? I don't think he would.

This is why I can't believe some are questioning Mourinho wanting to sign Luis. He clearly wants experience in that spot in order for us to win trophies, stick an 18 year old kid there and I think you could be asking for trouble.

I'm talking the style of player he is, Mourinho likes his fullbacks to defend and Shaw is clearly an attacking fullback, he obviously needs to mature defensively but would he get time to do that in our team? I don't think he would.

This is why I can't believe some are questioning Mourinho wanting to sign Luis. He clearly wants experience in that spot in order for us to win trophies, stick an 18 year old kid there and I think you could be asking for trouble.

Mourinho has had the likes of Marcelo and coentrao, none of which are which are better defending, than they are going forward.

For an 18 yr old, I don't think shaw is bad defensively, I don't think there are many quality defensive at that age in general, as most players develop tactically in their 20's.

I think you are doing Mourinho a disservice if you believe he couldn't have moulded shaw into exactly the type of full back he wanted.

He isn't a chelsea player because the club didn't think he was worth the money, or the Mourinho, emanalo, etc, as a collective, don't rate him as highly as fans and the media. I think his style of play would never have come into question.

Mourinho has had the likes of Marcelo and coentrao, none of which are which are better defending, than they are going forward.

For an 18 yr old, I don't think shaw is bad defensively, I don't think there are many quality defensive at that age in general, as most players develop tactically in their 20's.

I think you are doing Mourinho a disservice if you believe he couldn't have moulded shaw into exactly the type of full back he wanted.

He isn't a chelsea player because the club didn't think he was worth the money, or the Mourinho, emanalo, etc, as a collective, don't rate him as highly as fans and the media. I think his style of play would never have come into question.

Agree to disagree, maybe he could have but he can't afford to waste that much money on a young player right now when he needs the finished article.

Personally I think Shaw has been vastly overrated by too many Chelsea fans simply because he was a Chelsea fan.

There are two kinds of people in this world (fullbacks in this case)... Overrated kids who might not become world class, and players in twilight of career who will not be any better. Others seem to be unavailable.

Luis is probably not the best fullback in the world, but is certainly the best available, so my 'vote' is YES.