Do we still need another striker?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We've been quite busy in the window regarding strikers with the signing of Diego Costa and return of King Didier as well as the release of Samuel Eto'o and sales of Ba and Lukaku.

I hope it's not just me, but I still think that we need another striker. Usually I wouldn't say this because I love a chance for the younger lads such as Bamford to get a run in the first team but can we rely on a young player like that? Diego Costa is an incredible player but if he gets a long-term injury then we have problems; Torres? Drogba? Useless. Dids could probably give the defenders a difficult day but is he still the lethal prolific goalscorer he once was? I'm not sure. I still think that Drogba has got something in his locker (despite that poor performance at Bremen) but can he play week-in-week-out? I don't think I need to explain Torres, do I?  :tease:

So if we were to sign another striker, who would you target and why?

I don't get how you call Drogba an ''old wreck''. A bit disrespectful to a true Chelsea legend.

im sick of this "youre so harsh" and "show some respect" sh*te on here. Drogba is a legend, nothing will change that. But, as it stands, he is a shadow of his former self. He is older, he looks knackered and has done for some time, and has been brought in to replace a 21 year old prospect who scored more PL goals last season than torres and ba combined (perhaps even more than all three of our strikers last season combined.. cant be f**ked looking up the stats).

Comparatively speaking, I find it hard to imagine even the most ardent of Chelsea fans disagreeing that drogba is old, and f**ked. None of my mates disagree.. boys who have been going to the bridge for up to 40 years. The only time this "thou shalt not speak unfavourably of drogba" pish appears is on here. Its bollocks.

drogba legend. But as a player in 2014, he's f**king bang average.

im sick of this "youre so harsh" and "show some respect" sh*te on here. Drogba is a legend, nothing will change that. But, as it stands, he is a shadow of his former self. He is older, he looks knackered and has done for some time, and has been brought in to replace a 21 year old prospect who scored more PL goals last season than torres and ba combined (perhaps even more than all three of our strikers last season combined.. cant be f**ked looking up the stats).

Comparatively speaking, I find it hard to imagine even the most ardent of Chelsea fans disagreeing that drogba is old, and f**ked. None of my mates disagree.. boys who have been going to the bridge for up to 40 years. The only time this "thou shalt not speak unfavourably of drogba" pish appears is on here. Its bollocks.

drogba legend. But as a player in 2014, he's f**king bang average.

I don't think you will find anyone on here who thinks Drogba is his old self. We're not blind. 

But does that justify calling him an old wreck? Or saying he is old and f**ked?

I believe it's time that we talk about our players with some respect. The things I occasioanlly read about our (former)players sickens me. And not just our players actually, it would be nice if everyone in this world would treat eachother with some more respect. 

I don't think you will find anyone on here who thinks Drogba is his old self. We're not blind.

But does that justify calling him an old wreck? Or saying he is old and f**ked?

I believe it's time that we talk about our players with some respect. The things I occasioanlly read about our (former)players sickens me. And not just our players actually, it would be nice if everyone in this world would treat eachother with some more respect.

show some respect in case I hurt his feelings? Or for your benefit? The only respect I need to show, or quite frankly care about, is supporting the players on the pitch from my seat in the shed end row 3 every other weekend.

I just dont understand this easily offended mentality on here where individuals are vilified for expressing their opinions on a player.

As far as I'm concerned, supporters who will long out last ANY player at the club who pay for their season tickets and go week in, week out, home and away, at HUGE expense, are more than entitled to say if they think a player is sh*te.

Sorry mate, im not having it. Drogba is old and is a sh*t alternative to the player we just shipped out for 28m and havent adequately replaced.

Is there any chance we can wait until he plays for us before deciding he's old, f**ked and bang average.

I wouldn't use those words but he wasn't near his best in his last season for us. I doubt much has changed two seasons later. Unfortunately both Drogba and Torres are nowhere near starting quality for a title-chasing club.

It's a slight worry but also there are no realistic solutions in the current market.

Edited by venom2011

Out for 2 weeks.

Okay. The thing is, we're regurgitating the same sh*t over and over, it's peeing me off. If José and the board don't think we need another striker, and they're happy with what we've got, then if we don't win the league or CL, it's their fault.

Guest RFC_CFC

Yip Drogba will be out of fitness now and at his age injuries are more regular so really we are going with Torres and Costa.

So that's one true above average striker...

I'm sorry but we have not sorted our stiking situation at all...we have merely papered over the cracks and are still as bare as we were last season.

Okay. The thing is, we're regurgitating the same sh*t over and over, it's peeing me off. If José and the board don't think we need another striker, and they're happy with what we've got, then if we don't win the league or CL, it's their fault.

I agree with this, but I do believe that if it goes tits up then Mourinho will get the bullet. Especially if Lukaku goes and has a stormer. Being the manager of the club unfortunately extends beyond picking the team and coordinating training. Managerial decisions have to be made and Mourinho could very well have put his foot down like United did with Rooney and demanded that he stay. Who knows how it could have turned out.

Speculation of course but the striking situation could very well be the downfall of mourinho at the club. Obviously not what I want, but we dont exactly have form for granting managers time to shape the squad. In an ideal world this "project" would be on-going for a number of years - that said, for the money we have spent and the names we have brought in, we should not be struggling to break teams down and we sure as sh*t shouldnt be sharing this common concern about a potential lack of goals from our strikers. its not f**king on.

Failing to win a trophy this season (and not the COC), driven by a lack of goals and a continuation of last season where we failed to break down stubborn defences, and I'm absolutely convinced that Mourinho gets sacked come May.

Edited by CFC_RFC_TID!

If mourinho gets sacked, there aren't many other managers of that calibre out there. Carlo ancellotti would have been ideal, but it won't happen.

Surely, before thw board decides to rid mourinho, they must have a large say in players that go or stay, so they have to take responsibility for their decisions, also.

I wouldn't agree with getting shot of José again. I just feel that he isn't thinking of the repercussions of signings we are not making.

If the fans are concerned about the striker situation; the media have mentioned it countless times too, then how can the people at the top not be concerned? Nothing makes sense any more tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I think we can still do well next season, even with just costa and drogba. The midfield is stronger and more creative now, but I think without another top striker we won't be challenging in all competitions.

Edited by enigma

if we go out of the domestic cup competitions early (every chance of this happening as we will likely be playing trolles up front), then the pressure is MASSIVELY on for mourinho to deliver. I'm just absolutely f**king perplexed as to why any further signings were dismissed out of hand so early in the window. It seems so f**king short sighted.

We are also still lumbered with the likes of Marin, while mourinho moans about having too many foreign players and no space in the squad. Make the decision and get rid. He's obviously not up to it, how hard can it be to find a club to take him even if its just for a year on another loan?

The goalkeeping situation has potential to simmer over as well, courtois hasnt been assigned a squad number yet. Our number 10 looks utterly fried and has done for about 9 months, and we still have to put up with torres, to the extent whereby he is being played on the f**king wing with the manager coming out saying that they are working on new formations to have both costa and torres play together.

What the f**k is going on?

Pantomime fc.

if we go out of the domestic cup competitions early (every chance of this happening as we will likely be playing trolles up front), then the pressure is MASSIVELY on for mourinho to deliver. I'm just absolutely f**king perplexed as to why any further signings were dismissed out of hand so early in the window. It seems so f**king short sighted.

We are also still lumbered with the likes of Marin, while mourinho moans about having too many foreign players and no space in the squad. Make the decision and get rid. He's obviously not up to it, how hard can it be to find a club to take him even if its just for a year on another loan?

The goalkeeping situation has potential to simmer over as well, courtois hasnt been assigned a squad number yet. Our number 10 looks utterly fried and has done for about 9 months, and we still have to put up with torres, to the extent whereby he is being played on the f**king wing with the manager coming out saying that they are working on new formations to have both costa and torres play together.

What the f**k is going on?

Pantomime fc.

Marin has just been confirmed to be going out on loan to Fiorentina.