IMDB top 250

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I take ratings on things like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes with a pinch of salt tbh.

What is good for someone else might be rubbish for you and vice versa.

It's a pretty good measure for whether something is good or bad though. 

The issue with IMDB is that you'll get things like La Haine on the list which has only 91,000 votes but then films such as Godfather or Dark Knight which have closer to 1.5m votes on it. 

I think they only count the votes of particular members of the site but there is a slight snobbery towards certain films which are highly ranked due to certain people voting on them. 

It's a pretty good measure for whether something is good or bad though. 

The issue with IMDB is that you'll get things like La Haine on the list which has only 91,000 votes but then films such as Godfather or Dark Knight which have closer to 1.5m votes on it. 

I think they only count the votes of particular members of the site but there is a slight snobbery towards certain films which are highly ranked due to certain people voting on them. 

I don't like their rating system, but if you ask me, La Haine is a better movie than Dark Knight. Dark Knight is the only movie in the trilogy that (just about) deserves a place in the top 250, though. Maybe...

Edited by Maksimov

I don't like their rating system, but if you ask me, La Haine is a better movie than Dark Knight. Dark Knight is the only movie in the trilogy that (just about) deserves a place in the top 250, though. Maybe...

Obviously like anything in life the idea of what is "good" is always subjective. 

I just thinks it's a flawed system when something that receives 1/10 of the number of votes as most other films on the list can be ranked so highly. 

I liked La Haine but wasn't blown away by it... Doesn't help that I had to study it though I suppose. 

Piss poor 49 of 250.

I agree with the number 1 film but they made an error with Beauty and the Beast, they put it in the 200-and-something range rather than the 2nd spot. Easy typo to make, I best contact them to bring their obvious error to their attention.

Obviously like anything in life the idea of what is "good" is always subjective. 

I just thinks it's a flawed system when something that receives 1/10 of the number of votes as most other films on the list can be ranked so highly. 

I liked La Haine but wasn't blown away by it... Doesn't help that I had to study it though I suppose. 

I'm not familiar with their ranking system, but is it a x/10 type of system? Maybe La Haine benefits from being ranked by fewer people, but those few people who have seen it have given it a high ranking. The movies with more votes get a bigger percentage of lower rankings. Maybe that's it... Or do they really pick and choose whose ranking matters?

As for studying a movie, I remember back in school when we started doing our analysis for the movie analysis course, we were warned not to pick a movie that we liked because we'd end up hating it. I picked Rashomon, because at the time I'd not seen it. I liked it the first time I saw it, but... :happy001:

Piss poor 49 of 250.

I agree with the number 1 film but they made an error with Beauty and the Beast, they put it in the 200-and-something range rather than the 2nd spot. Easy typo to make, I best contact them to bring their obvious error to their attention.

post-12894-0-54615400-1439381256_thumb.jpg

I agree with the number 1 film.

It's a good movie, but I wouldn't say it's the all time greatest. It probably should've won the Oscar that year instead of Forrest Gump, though. Then again, Four Weddings and a Funeral was probably the only nominee that year that would have deserved to win it less than Forrest Gump... :happy001:

So..I have seen 143 of these films - that is because I am very very old!!!!!

I can't fathom how they decide what order to put them in!  But I hated Forrest Gump, so I reckon I'm not your average viewer!

So..I have seen 143 of these films - that is because I am very very old!!!!!

I can't fathom how they decide what order to put them in! But I hated Forrest Gump, so I reckon I'm not your average viewer!

Also 143 Moi - 57% - we must have domething in common..... maybe age ;)

I also aren't kean on Forrest Gump, especially because it beat Pulp Fiction at the Oscars!

Most of my favourites are in there somewhere, although I personally prefer The Green Mile over The Shswshank Redemption - both great movies though.

The real old ones aren't there. Never got Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin. Much more a Laurel and Hardy type.

My other glaring omissions are the Marvel/DC super hero ones. I can't be arsed with them. After the Christopher Reeve era, I lost interest.

It's good that the list spans the history of cinema though, as the industry is often measured by financial income, which isn't weighted for inflation.

• 1 month later...

I personally prefer The Green Mile over The Shswshank Redemption - both great movies though.

I prefer Shawshank. No Tom Hanks. I much prefer the ones which he produces and/or directs to anything he acts in. I know he had nothing to do with Shawshank, although he would've been the directors first choice for the lead role, mind you. I think it's interesting that he first acted in Apollo 13 and then went on to produce the mini series From the Earth to the Moon, which is much better and more interesting than Apollo 13. Then a few years later he stars in Saving Private Ryan and then goes on to produce (and direct an episode) Band of Brothers. I know it's unfair to compare mini series with movies, but I think both mini series had better and more interesting episodes than either of the feature length movies. I don't know what it is I don't like about his acting, but I don't mind him in the Toy Story movies. 

Edited by Maksimov