WC 2018

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Alderweireld is a very intelligent player, emphasised by the fact he wants out of spurs.

24 minutes ago, Famous CFC said:

Gotta love those Tottenham Hotspur players in that Belgium side, there what really makes Belgium a serious contender. 

Breeze through groups then bottle it in the knockout round seems very Belgium recently yes.

Edited by Stim

34 minutes ago, Stim said:

Alderweireld is a very intelligent player, emphasised by the fact he wants out of spurs.

Breeze through groups then bottle it in the knockout round seems very Belgium recently yes.

He'd be a fantastic signing. Don't see it happening. 

Well as Sunday proved, records are there to be broken. 

1 hour ago, Famous CFC said:

I can't remember a tournament that has been this open. If Alderweireld is fit they have one of the best defences in the tournament, very solid midfield, and an explosive attack. Keeper not too bad when he's fully concentrated and motivated. Gotta love those Tottenham Hotspur players in that Belgium side, there what really makes Belgium a serious contender. 

You're right.

When everyone is fit, ...

But if not, ...

We don't have a fishing pole like Germany has one. That's the biggest problem.

And we don't have any vision yet. There's no plan at all, but that is another story.

15 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

I can't remember a tournament that has been this open. If Alderweireld is fit they have one of the best defences in the tournament, very solid midfield, and an explosive attack. Keeper not too bad when he's fully concentrated and motivated. Gotta love those Tottenham Hotspur players in that Belgium side, there what really makes Belgium a serious contender. 

14 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

He'd be a fantastic signing. Don't see it happening. 

Well as Sunday proved, records are there to be broken. 

But you're not a Spud, right?::MooNeY::::MooNeY::::MooNeY::

• 1 month later...

Do you reckon anyone else than Brazil/Argentina/Germany have a decent chance to win the WC? Some say Portugal, but I think those guys are complete fraud and that includes CR7 when he plays for them. But to his credit, the guy's always knackered because of RM 120 matches per season he plays for them. Spain will be up for it too imo. France? Either they bow out after the R16 or go to the semis. But given France's recurring problems against teams that play a more counter attack/direct football tactics, they may come up short. Also, Morrocco should go all in vs Portugal in group stages. Highly and grossly underrated despite the fact they play nice football (their game in cote d'ivoire was really nice to watch for instance). But I reckon Morrocco qualifying for the R16 will be the upset of this year's WC. Egypt is on the contrary highly overrated : apart from Salah, the rest of the team are subpar at best if not worst. Plus Uruguay are never mentioned but those guys could pull off a big performance ... until they get swept by Germany in the final haha !! England will certainly make it in the QF but since they may face Germany, that will stop there for them.

Edited by Londonisblue

10 hours ago, Londonisblue said:

Do you reckon anyone else than Brazil/Argentina/Germany have a decent chance to win the WC? Some say Portugal, but I think those guys are complete fraud and that includes CR7 when he plays for them. But to his credit, the guy's always knackered because of RM 120 matches per season he plays for them. Spain will be up for it too imo. France? Either they bow out after the R16 or go to the semis. But given France's recurring problems against teams that play a more counter attack/direct football tactics, they may come up short. Also, Morrocco should go all in vs Portugal in group stages. Highly and grossly underrated despite the fact they play nice football (their game in cote d'ivoire was really nice to watch for instance). But I reckon Morrocco qualifying for the R16 will be the upset of this year's WC. Egypt is on the contrary highly overrated : apart from Salah, the rest of the team are subpar at best if not worst. Plus Uruguay are never mentioned but those guys could pull off a big performance ... until they get swept by Germany in the final haha !! England will certainly make it in the QF but since they may face Germany, that will stop there for them.

Spain's world cup could defend on how well they can put aside the political difference, which I dont see happening.

Argentina are the favs for me.

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Spain's world cup could defend on how well they can put aside the political difference, which I dont see happening.

Argentina? are the favs for me.

I would be very surprised if Argentina win it, they only just managed to qualify for it. They have underachieved as much as England has for the last 25 years.

I'm going with Germany (safe bet) or France.

36 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I would be very surprised if Argentina win it, they only just managed to qualify for it. They have underachieved as much as England has for the last 25 years.

I'm going with Germany (safe bet) or France.

I am simply going on messi's desire. Surely he will WANT to win the cup and at 30, this is his peak. Plus the likes of di maria, higuain, macherano etc etc must know its their last chance too. They have the experience.

When are germany not a safe bet though? :laugh2:

6 hours ago, didierforever said:

I am simply going on messi's desire. Surely he will WANT to win the cup and at 30, this is his peak. Plus the likes of di maria, higuain, macherano etc etc must know its their last chance too. They have the experience.

Actually Messi may still be able to play the 2022 WC. But this might be CR7's last one... But Portugal are not on the same level as the other big teams imo. Actually, they might struggle to qualify for the R16 since morrocco are a good team and Iran are very hard to break down (see last WC).

Edited by Londonisblue

On 11/05/2018 at 09:10, didierforever said:

I actually think Germany even has a better squad than in 2014..

Reus and Sané on the wings and Timo Werner up front... that pace...

And Gündogan behind them. 4 players that are a great addition to the squad and weren't even nominated in 2014.

But it's the first world cup for us without Podolski, Klose, Schweinsteiger, Mertesacker,... very experienced players.

If the rumours are true about Hart and Wilshere being left out then I say fair play to Southgate for being the first England manager in a long time to have the balls to drop "big" names and pick players based on form.

9 hours ago, BlueLion1905 said:

I actually think Germany even has a better squad than in 2014..

Reus and Sané on the wings and Timo Werner up front... that pace...

And Gündogan behind them. 4 players that are a great addition to the squad and weren't even nominated in 2014.

But it's the first world cup for us without Podolski, Klose, Schweinsteiger, Mertesacker,... very experienced players.

It’s the defence where I am iffy about them. Specially both the full back positions. Who are the starting full backs these days?

France not taking Benzema over allegations that haven't proven he was guilty is fckuing ridiculous .... They might lose the WC because of that! Just like the Euros !!! Griezmann, Giroud, Mbappé and the likes can only be so good, but they lack that x factor imo.

21 hours ago, Boyne said:

According to Sky Sports Joe Hart is not going to the World Cup. Can''t say I'm surprised. Pickford or Butland for first choice?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11373502/joe-hart-not-in-englands-world-cup-squad-for-russia-2018

Butland, Pickford is more a highlights goalkeeper. He will make a good save now and again, but i don't think he has much beyond that. I think Butland is an overall better goalkeeper.

13 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Butland, Pickford is more a highlights goalkeeper. He will make a good save now and again, but i don't think he has much beyond that. I think Butland is an overall better goalkeeper.

Agree that Butland should be the first choice. A very good keeper. Now that Stoke has been relegated can see a number of clubs trying to sign him.