Crystal Palace v Chelsea (PL) Tue 7th July 2020 18:00 GMT

17 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Come on, admit YB - he's some player that Zaha!

:wink:

I truly don't think he is, @Nibs  I think he's at his level, he was missing for most of last night and spent the first half or so hiding away from Reece out on their left wing because he got well and truly pocketed by him last time out.

He has some flicks and tricks but doesn't really make me gasp with admiration in the way that the great players do.

He tried at the top(ish) level and was found severely wanting.

AND, he sulks like f**k when things don't go his way.

You know how I hate the mis-use of statistics, but Zaha has 4 goals and 3 assists this season (probably excluding last night) while that total waste of a Chelsea shirt who has no end product and should never ever be in the team again because he waves his hands about and took the piss out of Conte, Willian has 9 goals and 7 assists.

Lampard is extremely lucky that his team is where it is. Chelsea's defence is an absolute shambles and the worst since the early 1990s. His midfield selections are baffling and when Chelsea lose possession, as they invariably do after Mount, James or Barkley have the ball, it's panic stations as the opposing team can create chances at will. I do not rate Lampard as a manager at all and wish we had someone who knew what he was doing.

I actually think Lampard is doing very well in his first season with the transfer embargo and no Hazard.

Whether tactically he has enough to go the for league is open to question.

Yet he deserves another season with players he has chosen rather than the squad he inherited.

Posted (edited)

Our defence is a shambles. If Frank wasn't 100% sure about bringing in someone else, then he has to be after watching the last few games. Nobody can be relied upon - it really is that simple. Zouma is the only one recently that has impressed me, but even then he is prone to ball watching, and personally I'm not a fan of the last ditch sliding tackles in the box. They are a penalty waiting to happen. 

Last night's midfield did not help. Did well for 30 min's then became badly overrun. Frank should've brought on Jorginho sooner (rather than RLC) to regain possession of the ball. We couldn't keep it. Poor decision there. 

The good news = only four cup finals left, and our attack is looking sharper. 

Edited by Elliott
1 hour ago, pamery said:

Lampard is extremely lucky that his team is where it is. Chelsea's defence is an absolute shambles and the worst since the early 1990s. His midfield selections are baffling and when Chelsea lose possession, as they invariably do after Mount, James or Barkley have the ball, it's panic stations as the opposing team can create chances at will. I do not rate Lampard as a manager at all and wish we had someone who knew what he was doing.

Yep, definitely all down to luck, nothing else......

58 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Our defence is a shambles. If Frank wasn't 100% sure about bringing in someone else, then he has to be after watching the last few games. Nobody can be relied upon - it really is that simple. Zouma is the only one recently that has impressed me, but even then he is prone to ball watching, and personally I'm not a fan of the last ditch sliding tackles in the box. They are a penalty waiting to happen. 

Last night's midfield did not help. Did well for 30 min's then became badly overrun. Frank should've brought on Jorginho sooner (rather than RLC) to regain possession of the ball. We couldn't keep it. Poor decision there. 

The good news = only four cup finals left, and our attack is looking sharper. 

But if he doesn't make that last minute tackle, we drop 2 points. 

3 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

I truly don't think he is, @Nibs  I think he's at his level, he was missing for most of last night and spent the first half or so hiding away from Reece out on their left wing because he got well and truly pocketed by him last time out.

He has some flicks and tricks but doesn't really make me gasp with admiration in the way that the great players do.

He tried at the top(ish) level and was found severely wanting.

AND, he sulks like f**k when things don't go his way.

You know how I hate the mis-use of statistics, but Zaha has 4 goals and 3 assists this season (probably excluding last night) while that total waste of a Chelsea shirt who has no end product and should never ever be in the team again because he waves his hands about and took the piss out of Conte, Willian has 9 goals and 7 assists.

Yeah, I am inclined to agree.

He certainly has something and almost single-handedly kept Palace up in the past. For a while I will admit to not being against us signing him - even now at 27, he should be at his peak and could be a decent buy for someone at the right price. But Palace will want a sh*t-load for him and I think he does fall into the category of being one of those players who is perhaps too good for some teams but not good enough for the elite (where we want to be). Grealish is another - too good for Villa but possibly Spurs is the highest level he can expect to achieve!!

3 hours ago, pamery said:

Dear me...

8 hours ago, Mr. President said:

We started the game practically winning, we reached the second goal, a great goal from Pulisic.
We ended the first half very close to suffering a draw with 2 goals.
In the second part, much stranger than the first, we hit the 1-3 in a good shot by Tammy.
And we ended the game with our hearts in the mouth with 3-3 so close to happening ...

Lampard doesn't know what to do defensively, he never did, this is the story of the whole season.

We have to hire a goddamn coach who knows how to put the team to defend or it doesn't help having Pulisic, Willian or Werner and Ziyech. Absolutely nothing.

We are an amateur team back there and the responsibility for that is entirely up to a coach who doesn't know anything about it.
And he didn't have enough clairvoyance to know that he needed an assistant to do it for him.

You surely aren’t blaming Werner and Zyech...

17 hours ago, pamery said:

We're 3rd in the table.

7 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Why wait for next season when you can trash players now?

My tip is on one of the two becoming the new Willian and getting blamed for everything, regardless of how well they play.

Yeah ,unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

We're 3rd in the table.

18 hours ago, pamery said:

Scott: This seems as if it isn't good enough...

13 hours ago, Stim said:

I find it strange how quickly people turn on mount. 21 year old one of our own youth players, and one of our better players. 

Play the youth even if we finish 10th. Yeah right.

Mount has been one of the highlights this season. He has clearly taken on board everything Lamps has told him and looks to have that same desire to succeed and (hopefully) become a key player and go to the top. When he isn't on the pitch, we don't have the same pressing and seem to lack a bit of urgency.

Unfortunately we are at the crunch stage of the season where the youngsters won't be given as much leeway. If we were mid-table, it wouldn't matter but because we are getting so close to that top 4 finish but still have a lot to do, all performances are being scrutinized and I must admit I have been a little disappointed in both Abraham and James. Earlier in the season, I thought both were nailed on starters but both have struggled since we came back from lockdown. Not writing either off, but both still have a lot to prove and in Tammy's case, the competition for places will be a lot tougher next season.