Chelsea v Fulham (PL) Sat 1st May 2021 17:30 GMT

coco

I've only had the benefit of seeing the highlights on Match of the day but obviously pleased with the result. The 1st goal was exquisite, the long pass by Thiago, the one touch control by Mason and the perfect pass to Havertz who took his chance well.  From the highlights the standout for me was some superb goalkeeping by Mendy, top drawer saves.

We have a tough run in but what a position to be in. An FA Cup Final, a Champions League Final within sight and a possible top 4 finish. 

Perfect game for us in between the Madrid games.

Absolutley spot on by the team today. Attitude where it should be, had the game won just after half time and then we played in 3red gear to save legs.

Thought Werner had a really good match, worked the line really well and should have had 2 assists. Maybe Ziyech was replaying his goal in the cup semi where all he had to do was pass it in to an empty net, as that one today was woeful.

Havertz had a reall good game too, as did Mason, Mendy and James.

MOTM Timo for me.

Hopefully we are ready for Real.

5 hours ago, sonic90 said:

The defending has been fantastic

I didn't think it was that great today TBH.  While I accept that Mendy is part of the entire defence if it wasn't for him we would have been in trouble.   The other thing that worried me was those crosses constantly coming in from the right hand side, especially in the 2nd half.  If Wednesday's line up includes both Zouma and Chillwell who were responsible for protecting that side today, then I am worried because RM will be feeding Benzema all day long from that side if they had any sense.    

Good result and performance. Given the number of players we have rotated, it's an impressive performance. They had a few good shots and Mendy dealt brilliantly, we scored off the first real attack, could have scored couple of more before half time but good GK and the usual lack of conviction. We always looked for the second goal, and once we got it was game over. There's a reason Werner plays every week despite his poor scoring record, he keeps defender on their toes, making those good runs and setup clear cut chances for others. I guess had we finished 1/4 of those 23 clear cut chances he missed season, we'd call his first season a real success. Mount is the complete package, play him anywhere and he gives a 8/10 performance. Havertez could be the worst or best player on the field, he got disposed a few times, but when he's in the mood, the first touch and finishing were exquisite. He's the kind of player doesn't need to touch or pass 80 times a game, he just needs to drift into his zone, get a quick touch and things will happen. The way he drifted pass 2-3 to meet the pass, and score his second without a foot or hand on him was brilliant. That's why we paid the big bucks for him

10 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

I didn't think it was that great today TBH.  While I accept that Mendy is part of the entire defence if it wasn't for him we would have been in trouble.   The other thing that worried me was those crosses constantly coming in from the right hand side, especially in the 2nd half.  If Wednesday's line up includes both Zouma and Chillwell who were responsible for protecting that side today, then I am worried because RM will be feeding Benzema all day long from that side if they had any sense.    

I guess not as a whole, especially as you said in terms of preventing attacks actively but the shot blocking and last ditch stuff was great, there could be a whole load of that vs Madrid so it's nice to know we have the ability to hold out waves of attacks.

Great to rest Kante and Jorginho and still win easily. Attackers all did well as did Silva, James and Christenson. Zouma and Chilwell good individually but maybe not a great combo. 

On 01/05/2021 at 10:13, Valerie said:

2-0 win, CHO to score first.

Come on, my son, time for you to step up and get yourself in the starting line-up.

You ruined my Saturday with that prediction. 

Right up until the final whistle !

1 hour ago, The Rising Sun said:

You ruined my Saturday with that prediction. 

Right up until the final whistle !

I know, I was sailing close to the wind there! My complicated counter-jinx approach to match predictions is after all firmly based on my natural pessimism :smile: