Alfie Gilchrist

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

• 4 months later...

On 31/12/2023 at 02:51, Sexyfootball said:

According to the club website he's 183cm ... or in other words 2cm taller than Thiago Silva 🙂 

Silva is a freak and we do complain that he is not great at handling crosses in the box and we have conceded this season because of that.. the greatest CBs in the EPl due to a more direct style have been quite tall and hence my concerns.. we also have a slot open at RB with Reece our currently.

I would like to see Gilchrist played at FB until further notice. Will certainly give us a bit of bite - he's the sort who would rather die than let a winger get the better of him.

33 minutes ago, Nibs said:

I would like to see Gilchrist played at FB until further notice. Will certainly give us a bit of bite - he's the sort who would rather die than let a winger get the better of him.

Its a shame he isnt left footed, or at least plays on the left as thats where we need to sort things out. I think it would be harsh dropping Gusto at the moment, hes playing superbly well, were ok for RB`s, need LB`s.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

Its a shame he isnt left footed, or at least plays on the left as thats where we need to sort things out. I think it would be harsh dropping Gusto at the moment, hes playing superbly well, were ok for RB`s, need LB`s.

Agreed. Gusto is one of our best players on current form. That being said, with Reece out long term perhaps Gilchrist could be used as the second right back to give Gusto a break from time to time, or cover if he is suspended/injured.

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

Agreed. Gusto is one of our best players on current form. That being said, with Reece out long term perhaps Gilchrist could be used as the second right back to give Gusto a break from time to time, or cover if he is suspended/injured.

He definitely gives us an option, he`s much more defensive than Gusto so can be used when thats needed. Also Poch seems intent on switching Gusto to left back also, so bringing Gilchrist on to cover right can work also.

23 hours ago, dkw said:

He definitely gives us an option, he`s much more defensive than Gusto so can be used when thats needed. Also Poch seems intent on switching Gusto to left back also, so bringing Gilchrist on to cover right can work also.

Yes. While Gusto is a natural right back, he currently looks like our best option at left back. Maybe worth trying Gilchrist on right and Gusto on left, at least until Chilwell returns.

On 03/01/2024 at 15:29, forbzy said:

Yes. While Gusto is a natural right back, he currently looks like our best option at left back. Maybe worth trying Gilchrist on right and Gusto on left, at least until Chilwell returns.

This....but also agree we need to see more of him. I loved his first cameo when he came onto the pitch and started to tell our lot to "come on..." you couldn't help but smile. He and Gallagher are the only 2* I genuinely believe would put their bodies on the line for the club. Like JT diving head first to try and stop a shot with no care for the following boot-to-head of pain!

Both seem to be from JTs era of a true defender, unfortunately the game has become to "gentle" for that and they need to keep it down/calmer. Took Gallagher a while (and a sending off) to find the decrease button, he still needs tweaking every now and then.

* I would add silva to that list because even though he's not a true fan like the 2 above (family, academy, etc), he's become one and a he's a proper decent bloke too and would always give his team all he's got. I'm worried though, the look and shake of the head in the last match feels like he's losing faith with the team/club. I really hope not.