Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

The team of the 80s!

There was a period late 70s, early 80's when we were struggling and they were doing well by their standards. A few Palace fans I went to school with reckoned they were a bigger club than us at the time.

I always thought the atmosphere over there was pathetic- nowadays they do make a bit of noise but not then.

They played us in George Grahams testimonial-  May 1980- we took the Holmesdale- afterwards a load of the boys went onto the Iranian Embassy and scattered the people protesting outside. ( there's film of this somewhere in the Rock n Roll years)

Re George Graham, Ive never been able to work out why they granted him a testimonial given he didn't play for them for very long.

Have often found that with Palace fans, they get ahead of themselves quite easily. They have never been a bigger club than us even if our team was worse than theirs for 3 or 4 seasons.

6 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Have often found that with Palace fans, they get ahead of themselves quite easily. They have never been a bigger club than us even if our team was worse than theirs for 3 or 4 seasons.

Palace have never been a big club in my eyes, similar size to Fulham, QPR and Charlton, with similar fanbase profiles, even Croydon and surrounding areas which should be palace strongholds have huge swathes of Chelsea support. Coming up from West Sussex for games on the train, when we have a Saturday 3pm game they are quite often at home as well, as the train goes up through Horsham, Crawley, There Bridges, Redhill, the vast majority of fans getting on are Chelsea. Brighton have a wider and bigger fan base than palace in my eyes as it stretches across Sussex.

9 hours ago, chi blue said:

Palace have never been a big club in my eyes, similar size to Fulham, QPR and Charlton, with similar fanbase profiles, even Croydon and surrounding areas which should be palace strongholds have huge swathes of Chelsea support. Coming up from West Sussex for games on the train, when we have a Saturday 3pm game they are quite often at home as well, as the train goes up through Horsham, Crawley, There Bridges, Redhill, the vast majority of fans getting on are Chelsea. Brighton have a wider and bigger fan base than palace in my eyes as it stretches across Sussex.

I think all this clap trap about them being bigger than us started when they pulled a 51,000 gate last game 79 against Burnley- Friday night before the Cup Final- loads of neutrals in attendance.

Back then all the time I used regularly see blokes walking down Surrey Street market in Croydon wearing Chelsea tops and no one batted an eyelid.

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 06:07, erskblue said:

Yeah football spectator 'faciliities' in the 1980s...

I remember the 'catering outlet' at one ground in Scotland , it was a small garden shed selling pie and Bovril.

I have always hated the taste of both pie and Bovril !

It's still the same at a load of grounds.:laugh2:

2 hours ago, Larky Blue said:

Any idea what this is about ?1970/71 I think as board advertising Ron Harris testimonial.

17fc9ced0e9caa975ca8f4a73a12cb63.jpg

I think is was around early 80's, looks like someone in crowd got the umbro shirt with diamonds down sleeves (my first kit) it might well be 82/83 season when we nearly went down div 3

21 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes mostly agree with you. When I was growing up in Chi and traveling up to the Bridge there were loads of Chelsea from Sussex, Surrey and south London. I find though that with Brighton (where I have now lived for many years) that their fan base in Sussex sees to mostly end along the coast west of Worthing and that part of Sussex is mostly Pompey country. Certainly growing up in Chichester most of the local support was Portsmouth with very little for Brighton.

6 minutes ago, chelsea78 said:

Yes mostly agree with you. When I was growing up in Chi and traveling up to the Bridge there were loads of Chelsea from Sussex, Surrey and south London. I find though that with Brighton (where I have now lived for many years) that their fan base in Sussex sees to mostly end along the coast west of Worthing and that part of Sussex is mostly Pompey country. Certainly growing up in Chichester most of the local support was Portsmouth with very little for Brighton.

Yes do agree there probably the cut off is about Littlehampton (LA to the locals), going to school in steyning it was mostly Brighton fans, but when I moved to Chichester late 80's the Brighton support disappears and it's Pompey as the local team that really surprised me as I hadn't even met a Pompey fan until I moved to Chichester. Teams like Pompey, Burnley etc have very ardent support within say a 10 mile radius, where everyone supports that team, go outside that radius and the support vanishes. Funny how some teams Chelsea included have always had support that covers large areas even when we weren't so successful. Remember speaking to Utd fan in 96 before we played them at villa park in cup semi final, and he couldn't believe how many Chelsea fans were coming down from up north.

10 hours ago, chi blue said:

I think is was around early 80's, looks like someone in crowd got the umbro shirt with diamonds down sleeves (my first kit) it might well be 82/83 season when we nearly went down div 3

Chopper had a second Testimonial on the 21/4/1980 Chelsea vs Chelsea past 11

The current team were so bad they lost 1-0 to the past 11!!

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 13:47, bluehaze said:

Not if it was QPR's away support they could have pitched up tents in all the empty spaces.

They did arrive on a couple of tandems if they had a particularly 'big' away support to be fair !:biggrin:

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 06:27, old git said:

When I see Walker in that sort of form, I wonder why he wasn't considered good enough to play for England.

From memory it was Peter Barnes. the late Laurie Cunningham (who was playing with Real Madrid !) and Tony Morley who were in contention for the England left wing place from  about 1977-1983.

Ron Harris Testimonial Match

Tuesday 23rd November 1971 Kick-Off 7.30pm

CHELSEA:

1 Peter Bonnetti (John Phillips) 2 Gary Locke (Peter Bonetti) 3 Ron Harris (C) 4 John Hollins 5 David Webb 6 Marvin Hinton 7 Charlie Cooke 8 Chris Garland (Micky Droy) 9 Peter Osgood, 10 John Boyle (Tony Potrac) 11 Peter Houseman.

Despite being at home, Chelsea wore their away shirt, a long sleeved yellow jersey with the rampant lion and staff motif embroidered on the left breast. Blue nylon shorts with a single white stripe down the side. Each player’s number appeared on the left hand side of the shorts in white. White socks completed the outfit.

Ref : Mr Ronald Challis (Tonbridge)

Linesmen : Mr B Robinson (Shepperton, Middlesex) and Mr M J Bayston (Hitchin, Herts

7.15 The tannoy system belts out the ska classic ‘the Liquidator’ by Harry J and the Allstars as it had done before every match since the record’s release in November 1969.

Circa 80 mins : Chelsea Substitution : Midway through the half John Phillips, replaces Peter Bonetti in goal.

As befits a Testimonial for Ron Harris the tackles are full blooded.

Unfortunately for Chelsea, their players have come off worst. John Boyle retires with a thigh strain. Garry Locke is carried off on Dave Sexton’s shoulders and Chris Garland limps off with cramp.

Chelsea have run out of Substitutes… so they bring back Peter Bonetti to play outfield in a number 2 jersey.

FINAL SCORE : CHELSEA 0 RANGERS 1 (Jardine)
Attendance : 16,362
Edited by erskblue

10 hours ago, erskblue said:

From memory it was Peter Barnes. the late Laurie Cunningham (who was playing with Real Madrid !) and Tony Morley who were in contention for the England left wing place from  about 1977-1983.

Stiff competition that.

11 hours ago, erskblue said:

Ron Harris Testimonial Match

Tuesday 23rd November 1971 Kick-Off 7.30pm

CHELSEA:

1 Peter Bonnetti (John Phillips) 2 Gary Locke (Peter Bonetti) 3 Ron Harris (C) 4 John Hollins 5 David Webb 6 Marvin Hinton 7 Charlie Cooke 8 Chris Garland (Micky Droy) 9 Peter Osgood, 10 John Boyle (Tony Potrac) 11 Peter Houseman.

Despite being at home, Chelsea wore their away shirt, a long sleeved yellow jersey with the rampant lion and staff motif embroidered on the left breast. Blue nylon shorts with a single white stripe down the side. Each player’s number appeared on the left hand side of the shorts in white. White socks completed the outfit.

Ref : Mr Ronald Challis (Tonbridge)

Linesmen : Mr B Robinson (Shepperton, Middlesex) and Mr M J Bayston (Hitchin, Herts

7.15 The tannoy system belts out the ska classic ‘the Liquidator’ by Harry J and the Allstars as it had done before every match since the record’s release in November 1969.

Circa 80 mins : Chelsea Substitution : Midway through the half John Phillips, replaces Peter Bonetti in goal.

As befits a Testimonial for Ron Harris the tackles are full blooded.

Unfortunately for Chelsea, their players have come off worst. John Boyle retires with a thigh strain. Garry Locke is carried off on Dave Sexton’s shoulders and Chris Garland limps off with cramp.

Chelsea have run out of Substitutes… so they bring back Peter Bonetti to play outfield in a number 2 jersey.

FINAL SCORE : CHELSEA 0 RANGERS 1 (Jardine)
Attendance : 16,362

My Da and uncles travelled down from Larkhall on the local Rangers Supporters Club,I was only 7,brought me back a Chelsea pennant and programme,which I still have in the house.

On 12/06/2018 at 06:27, old git said:

When I see Walker in that sort of form, I wonder why he wasn't considered good enough to play for England.

He was never close to an England call-up. Not just because he spent most of his Chelsea career in Div 2, but because he never most the most of his talent. At his best he was fantastic. He had real pace and skill, he could beat people, he could pass and he was a good finisher, but he never achieved consistency. He had a football brain (I respect him as a pundit) and I think should have gone further in the game than he did. He played on into his 40s, and clearly looked after himself, so I don't think there was any issue with his attitude. And yet successive managers never really got the best out of him. 

I liked him a lot as a player, but he did frustrate me because he only rarely hit the heights he was capable of.

12 hours ago, Boyne said:

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

When I first started going that's more or less where I stood before the Iron Curtain got put up. Then to the middle as a teenager occasionally the west side rarely the white wall then when I left school it was gate 13 and then the West Stand. I probably sat more times in the temporary stand then I did standing in the Shed from 82-94. Speak to any football fan of our age and I can guarantee they stood on the Shed at least once you can't say the same about the Shelf, Northbank, Loft etc. Mind you I know of at least four people who stood on the Shed and never went to football again.:biggrin:

10 hours ago, bluehaze said:

When I first started going that's more or less where I stood before the Iron Curtain got put up. Then to the middle as a teenager occasionally the west side rarely the white wall then when I left school it was gate 13 and then the West Stand. I probably sat more times in the temporary stand then I did standing in the Shed from 82-94. Speak to any football fan of our age and I can guarantee they stood on the Shed at least once you can't say the same about the Shelf, Northbank, Loft etc. Mind you I know of at least four people who stood on the Shed and never went to football again.:biggrin:

The shed had a reputation that no other end had in the country that transcended even regular football fans. I think I might have mentioned before, but use to play football with an older bloke who although supported spurs said him and mates when younger went to Chelsea on Saturdays, and went in the shed because it was more exciting, another time years ago I popped in my local pub, and a couple of the regulars who didn't even know much about football asked what I had been upto, I replied I'd just come back from Chelsea, their reply was is the shed as bad as it use to be! Only the other week I chatted to a bloke about 70 plus who was a Geordie and he said the most frightened he'd been at football was when he went in shed in the early 80's. The insecure and chip on their shoulder pikies would venture in the shed back in the day, because it boosted morale amongst their ranks. Still never got the headlines Chelsea did back in the day off the pitch, and I'm sure there still bitter about it.

There was definitely a hooligan pecking order. As I said Chelsea would regularly lord it wearing colours in Palace's backyard, but wouldn't do so in East London I'm sure.

From as far back as I can remember, West Ham were always known as number one in London. Even at 10 years old I was aware of an unofficial hooligan league table- older blokes, brothers, cousins etc used to put us in the picture.

When I started secondary school and going to aways on the Monday morning you'd boast to your mates that Chelsea took a certain home end, and there would be chatter about whether Arsenal or West Ham did the same.

I never saw West Ham take the Shed. The night game in 79 they had a few little mobs here and there who got sussed and run out. September 1980 they were by the tea bar with Chelsea all around them.

I think up and down the country we put on more of a show than them late 70s, early 80's, but we avoided Upton Park until late season 81.