Capello as manager?

OxBlue82
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

That's a pretty harsh Nibs.

Think what you may about his time in charge of England, which is always a circus, but his record in club management is exceptional.

I read the interview with him in the Times today and I have to say that it would not be the worst option by a long way. He clearly wants to manage in England, his English is not as bad as often portrayed and even his results with England are not the disaster that some would have you believe.

I appreciate the love for Robbie, and I think he has done exceptionally well in the circumstances, but whether he is the man to finish what AVB started is very questionable.

That's a pretty harsh Nibs.

Think what you may about his time in charge of England, which is always a circus, but his record in club management is exceptional.

I read the interview with him in the Times today and I have to say that it would not be the worst option by a long way. He clearly wants to manage in England, his English is not as bad as often portrayed and even his results with England are not the disaster that some would have you believe.

I appreciate the love for Robbie, and I think he has done exceptionally well in the circumstances, but whether he is the man to finish what AVB started is very questionable.

But ES, the bloke still can't communicate in good English and he'll be 66 in a month's time. With AVB we went too young and inexperienced but appointing a 66 year old would be short-term and short-sighted and is not what our club needs, regardless of what he might have acheived in the past.

Good arguments for and against.

As said great club record but for England he was useless. I know him and JT had a good relationship which leads me to believe that there is a chance this may happen.

Dont get me wrong I think RDM has done a fantastic job, and I hope he does take it on but there is just something telling me that he may not cut it - not sure what it is but its been niggling me since I he first few games. There is something about new managers coming in when times are tough and do really well but in the long run it doesnt work out. I hope this doesnt happen to Robbie.

Going back to Capello, great club manager, and wouldnt take sh*t from anyone and will put any egos back in their place if they appeared something which AVB couldnt do.

As said great club record but for England he was useless.

Where do you get this opinion from? See http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teammgr/MgrChron.html

He has the best percentage points won of all England managers ever. Sometimes the facts need to be shown.

That said, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Bridge, myself, for similar reasons to those given by Nibs, above.

Where do you get this opinion from? See http://www.englandfo...r/MgrChron.html

He has the best percentage points won of all England managers ever. Sometimes the facts need to be shown.

That said, I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Bridge, myself, for similar reasons to those given by Nibs, above.

OK maybe useless is too harsh granted but he never fit the England management role. Fair enough his results were good but what we did at the World Cup was not good, yes the blame should also sit with the players but he got it totally wrong during the WC.

I don't think I would mind.

First of all I'm not entirely sold on the idea of keeping RDM as manager. I like him, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure he's the right man for the job. We could do a lot worse, but I also think we could do a bit better. It's a tricky decision because we have a rather solid manager now, so do we risk getting someone who might become a new special one for us, knowing we could also end up with a Scolari?

As for Capello, I would say he's a very good club manager. He also did quite well for England and him going against FA really made me smile. To be honest, I don't think England can ever get a perfect manager. First of all many (atleast the FA) seem to think that England is one of the absolute best national teams in the world, which isn't the case (unfortunately). Secondly, the way the media acts puts way too much pressure on the manager and also on the FA I think. It seems like no matter who is in charge, they still have to work against the countries media - who really should be backing the national team instead of trying to f*ck things up for them all the time.

Capello has won Serie A a number of times, with three different teams (and before someone else points it out, yes Juves titles were revoked, but they still won the league on the pitch, which counts for me). He's been in charge of Real Madrid twice and won the league both times.

He's also won the Champions League.

But does he have the right personality for the players at Chelsea?

I don't think I would mind.

First of all I'm not entirely sold on the idea of keeping RDM as manager. I like him, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure he's the right man for the job. We could do a lot worse, but I also think we could do a bit better. It's a tricky decision because we have a rather solid manager now, so do we risk getting someone who might become a new special one for us, knowing we could also end up with a Scolari?

As for Capello, I would say he's a very good club manager. He also did quite well for England and him going against FA really made me smile. To be honest, I don't think England can ever get a perfect manager. First of all many (atleast the FA) seem to think that England is one of the absolute best national teams in the world, which isn't the case (unfortunately). Secondly, the way the media acts puts way too much pressure on the manager and also on the FA I think. It seems like no matter who is in charge, they still have to work against the countries media - who really should be backing the national team instead of trying to f*ck things up for them all the time.

Capello has won Serie A a number of times, with three different teams (and before someone else points it out, yes Juves titles were revoked, but they still won the league on the pitch, which counts for me). He's been in charge of Real Madrid twice and won the league both times.

He's also won the Champions League.

But does he have the right personality for the players at Chelsea?

The Moos - you have pretty much written exactly what I have been thinking about RDM, Capello, and the England Manager role and the press - Great Minds and all that

Capello has created a winners mentality in every club he's been in, RDM hasn't enough experience yet. The next three years will be the most important in Chelseas history under Roman. The next manager needs to find a combination between instant success and replacing the olds with younger and fresher player, while creating a new winners mentality in those new and young players. Which experience does RDM have with that? If RDM is given 2-3 years and fails (which is imo likely to happen), then we are back to the Ranieri days with a lot of star players with no connection and winners mentality.

I would rather have Capello than RDM as the new manager, but I would have Hiddink instead of Capello. I also like Bielsa (though he's a bit same as AVB in his playing style and detail focus).

All I can say is good luck Chuck too the next manager, harder job is difficult to find.

But ES, the bloke still can't communicate in good English and he'll be 66 in a month's time. With AVB we went too young and inexperienced but appointing a 66 year old would be short-term and short-sighted and is not what our club needs, regardless of what he might have acheived in the past.

I think the point about his english is actually wrong. It was covered in the article that he spoke with the Times for well over an hour without the need for a translator and in good english.

As for his age, well I agree that he wouldn't be around for 20 years but frankly anything past 12 months at Chelsea is long term.

The key thing is that he would have the experience and authority to manage a transition.

I'm not saying he'd be my first choice. I just think it's a bit blinkered to dismiss him out of hand.

Other than Mourinho he'd be at the top of my list of managers. Proven winner, commands respect and a great tactician, no matter what happened with England his club management at the top level is ridiculous.

Milan

Roma

Juventus

Real Madrid

• 2 weeks later...

We need stability, what ever happens this Saturday, I hope we can RDM another year. New manager, new approach, we start from square 1 again, can't afford that every season.

Isn't Capello near retirement age? Assume it all goes well, 2 seasons later we will be hiring again.

I hope who ever is to be our new manager he will be appointed quickly.

I dont think the players will take to Capello and we will have another AVB case on our hands where some of the players will just sulk and play crap until he is gone.

Going a little off topic it still makes me angry that the likes of Lampard and Cole behaved the way they did. They cant think much of the fans imo.

In a word 'No'. Alright he didn't exactly have the cream of the crop playing for England but I don't think the group of players that we will probably have going into next season will take to him despite the support he would have from JT....I see another expensive failure appointing him. The PL is a unique league, it's played not only with skill but desire and passion, something other leagues don't seem to have and that's why it's difficult to pick results week in week out..the PL is a different game altogeher and I just don't see his style fitting what Roman wants. I really don't think RDM is the answer either, great cup results, piss poor league results and those are the ones that matter in the grand scheme of things. We should have been able to grab 4th and he didn't do it..remember we were 5th when he took over.

He's one of the best managers of all time, his record stands up for its self and what he acieved with england wasnt an under achievment it was a true reflectuion of the quality we had availible at the time. we qualified for two consecutive tornements, something his predocesor was not able to do.

Capelo has won the domestic title with every club he has been with.