Chelsea to "snub" Carling Cup...

Chelsea, who have usually played their strongest side in the Carling Cup, revealed that they will now use the competition to use some of their younger players.

HOLY f**kING sh*t! No one's ever done that before!

That paper is full of absolute f**king dreck. That's not even a story. Pathetic journalism.

Edited by PloKoon13

They've latched onto the interview Ray Wilkins did last week which I've quoted elsewhere on the forum where he said it was very likely we would play youngsters in this years competition. Unfortunately for the Daily Snail the interview was conducted well before the announcement of the ban. Unbelievably poor journalism.

Pathetic journalism, the author nearly contradicts himself in their own story. Unfortunatley people will latch onto this and claim that we're throwing the toys out of the pram. At least the comments on the story accused the journalist of being lazy.

Yet again, when it comes to Chelsea, the press are putting 2 and 2 together to come up with 5. Arsenal, Man Utd have both used the Carling CUp, and early stages of teh FA Cup to play youngsters. Now we realize it's time to start giving our academy lads a shot, and we're snubbing a competition? I bet if we play Arsenal, then they'll be seen as developing youth, while we'll be seen as taking desparate measures

Scott

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that our youngsters will be given a run out, but I just hate the way they've spun it into an anti-Chelsea story for the gazillionth time.

I've told you one hundred thousand million times stop exaggerating

I als hope we use the Carling Cup to blood youngsters but I don't want us to use it in the manner that Arsenal do. I don't think there is any benefit for 11 youngsters to get first team experience at once as they are not being given an opportunity to show what they are capable of whilst surrounded by the players who they are hoping to play amongst more regularly. It is far more benefical for Ancelotti to see how two or three players cope alongside the regular first team players than it is for him to see all the kids playing at once - all the latter is is a reserve game in front of a bigger crowd.

I als hope we use the Carling Cup to blood youngsters but I don't want us to use it in the manner that Arsenal do. I don't think there is any benefit for 11 youngsters to get first team experience at once as they are not being given an opportunity to show what they are capable of whilst surrounded by the players who they are hoping to play amongst more regularly. It is far more benefical for Ancelotti to see how two or three players cope alongside the regular first team players than it is for him to see all the kids playing at once - all the latter is is a reserve game in front of a bigger crowd.

Agreed - I think Sam Hutchinson will get a game, giving Ash a rest. Woods may get a run out, and possibly even Bruma?

They've latched onto the interview Ray Wilkins did last week which I've quoted elsewhere on the forum where he said it was very likely we would play youngsters in this years competition. Unfortunately for the Daily Snail the interview was conducted well before the announcement of the ban. Unbelievably poor journalism.

didnt we loan all our youngsters out??

don't agree (in theory)- the fact it is in front of a bigger crowd (with away fans etc), and at stamford bridge is significant, but more importantly, the mental approach from the opposition will be different. the result will matter, and it won't be against a bunch of kids and players looking to go through the motions trying to get some match fitness.

if this was an international friendly, I'd agree with your point (that you should see how the player does alongside the regulars). in this situation it is more about the factors outside of your team- how they cope with the crowd, the competitive element etc IMO.

having said that I'd still want to see lampard and one or two other experienced players on the pitch.

Bu what do you really learn when you play 8 or 9 youngsters? I think it is overkill and you learn nothing. There isn't a youth team in the world with 8 or 9 youngsters with a genuine prospect of stardom. Each youth team has one or two, or, if you are lucky, three players who MIGHT make the grade. They are the players who probably already stand out amongst their peers and you now need to see how they respond to the added pressure of being played alongside players who have already set the standard.

Play those two or three prospects with their peers and they will still be in a position where they feel they are the superior players and will play with that level of confidence. What you want to assess, to a certain extent, is whether they can demonstrate a similar degree of confidence and assurance when they are a small fish.

i.e. Will Kakuta take a man on or will he always look to play the ball to Lampard? Will Sturridge shoot from 30 yards or will he always try and play in Drogba?

I accept this is a somewhat simplified argument but the overall point should be clear.

As our best youngsters are out on loan, Gael is banned I think RW is talking about Sturridge, Turnbill, Hutchinson who in effect are first teamers from the reserves we are talking Bruma and possibly Borini. Nana and Magney if fit could make the bench.

Bu what do you really learn when you play 8 or 9 youngsters? I think it is overkill and you learn nothing. There isn't a youth team in the world with 8 or 9 youngsters with a genuine prospect of stardom. Each youth team has one or two, or, if you are lucky, three players who MIGHT make the grade. They are the players who probably already stand out amongst their peers and you now need to see how they respond to the added pressure of being played alongside players who have already set the standard.

Play those two or three prospects with their peers and they will still be in a position where they feel they are the superior players and will play with that level of confidence. What you want to assess, to a certain extent, is whether they can demonstrate a similar degree of confidence and assurance when they are a small fish.

i.e. Will Kakuta take a man on or will he always look to play the ball to Lampard? Will Sturridge shoot from 30 yards or will he always try and play in Drogba?

I accept this is a somewhat simplified argument but the overall point should be clear.

thats always been my argument loz, theres not really a lot to gain from playing 8 or 9 youngsters together in a game like this. 3 maybe 4 in amongst first team players is ideal in my opinion and will give a much better indiciation of how near they are to first team availability than watching a full team of kids.

As our best youngsters are out on loan, Gael is banned I think RW is talking about Sturridge, Turnbill, Hutchinson who in effect are first teamers from the reserves we are talking Bruma and possibly Borini. Nana and Magney if fit could make the bench.

i would love to see bruma get a run out, he looks an incredible prospect. i think hes lpayed in the dutch under 21`s hasnt he?

Oh dear, that is absolutely pathetic journalism. Manchester United and Arsenal have been playing youngsters in the Carling Cup for years, and we have been criticised for not giving our young players a chance. Now there's a hint that we will play them and we're accused of 'snubbing' the CC. Words fail me the football media in this country at times.

Secondly, I'm shocked there's no mention of how Chelsea's transfer policy also contributed to the death of Diana. Gael Kakuta is French and Diana died in France. Coincidence? I think not! Plus I'm sure these foreign youngsters coming to this country are driving house prices up somehow.

Secondly, I'm shocked there's no mention of how Chelsea's transfer policy also contributed to the death of Diana. Gael Kakuta is French and Diana died in France. Coincidence? I think not! Plus I'm sure these foreign youngsters coming to this country are driving house prices up somehow.

That had me snorting my coffee through my nose, thanks very much :happy0034:

and diana probably knew someone called gail, it all makes sense now.

• 2 weeks later...