Rolling Stone magazine lists the best 100 albums and songs of the decade

Maksimov

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/312...f_the_decade/44

I know you're not supposed to take these kind of lists seriously, but who has Bono bribed at Rolling Stone to have three U2 albums on that list? I wouldn't have any of those albums on my list. I know a lot of people like them, but just like R.E.M. they've been just a shadow of their former selves for about 10-15 years. And Radiohead has four albums on that list? I'd probably include just two("Kid A" and "In Rainbows").

Their top 100 songs of the decade is even a funnier list:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/312...f_the_decade/27

Pokerface? Since U Been Gone? Are you Gonna be my Girl? Oh dear...if that doesn't give enough ammunition to those who say it has been a crappy decade in music, I don't know what will. :)

I've only heard of a handful of 'em on either list.

Of the albums on the list, I've got just five: -

05 - White Stripes - Elephant

20 - White Stripes - White Blood Cells

22 - Green Day - American Idiot

62 - Johnny Cash - American III: Solitary Man

93 - Johnny Cash - Unearthed

Of the singles on the list, I've got just seven in my iTunes library: -

01 - Gnarls Barkley - Crazy

04 - Outkast - Hey Yal

06 - White Stripes - Seven Nation Army

15 - Johnny Cash - Hurt

45 - Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head*

47 - Green Day - American Idiot

65 - Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

* got to admit, the video greatly influenced my views on this track :D

I know there's been better stuff released in the last ten years than most of the crap in those lists, so I concur with Tim W - "absolute bollocks"

Oh, and query.

Wasn't The '59 Sound - Gaslight Anthem album of the year, or runner up all over most of the magazines? If so, where is it on this so called list of the 100 "best"?

Never saw it win any awards or top any lists. Pretty good album though. Mix of The Boss and The Hold Steady.

Some really good choices on that list (Ryan Adams, Death Cab, Wilco, The Shins) and of course some sh*te. f**king Coldplay can f**king f**k off.

You have to remember Rolling Stone caters for a very particular market and it isnt going to be to everyones taste and was always going to cause arguments and some snobbery!

Bearing in mind everyones personal favorites were more than likely to be left off I actually think they have done quite well considering....

And when did you become a diplomat Barny?

Its the new me :P

I think you know what im getting at though. Im no fan of Rolling Stone, its just that the list was always going to cater for their readers and their readers tastes (namely Americans who like modern/alternative rock). Just like when NME do their list (you can bet its coming) it will be full of Arctic Monkeys, Libertines etc rather than catering for the whole music world. Ditto Pitchfork and, well you see what i mean...

Its the new me :o

the list was always going to cater for their readers and their readers tastes (namely Americans who like modern/alternative rock)

So that's why there's so many entries from Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and U2 on the album list and there's Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne of the list of songs...? :lol:

I don't think it's snobbery to say you don't approve of the list. One purpose for these kind of lists is to serve as a conversation starter and for that they always work wonderfully just for the reason that no one can ever agree with these lists 100%. Talking of and snobbery and as NME was mentioned, I'm not sure how they could come up with a top-100 list of the decade when they're so much about the flavor of the moment and once the novelty wears of some of the highly hyped acts, they start slagging them off. They're in the business of finding the next big thing and being on the cutting edge, so sometimes it gets quite ridiculous how fast they want to knock down artists they helped rise to fame. Sometimes the "alternative music press" seems to be as fickle as some of the so called indie kids, who stop listening to a band once it becomes even somewhat famous.

I just find it odd that on a list of best albums of the decade you get so many albums from certain bands. I mentioned Radiohead earlier and although I like some of their music, I thought it was weird to see Amnesiac on the list because I've always thought it was a pretty mediocre album and Rolling Stone magazine didn't seem to think it was such a hot one either as they gave it three and a half stars(out of five). Surely there must have been some 4/5 and 5/5 albums that would have deserved a place on the list or did they have some deal that anything with the name Radiohead on the cover must be included on the list? Jay Z's "Blueprint" is another three and a half star album, yet it's sitting pretty at #4.

So that's why there's so many entries from Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan and U2 on the album list and there's Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne of the list of songs...? :lol:

I don't think it's snobbery to say you don't approve of the list. One purpose for these kind of lists is to serve as a conversation starter and for that they always work wonderfully just for the reason that no one can ever agree with these lists 100%. Talking of and snobbery and as NME was mentioned, I'm not sure how they could come up with a top-100 list of the decade when they're so much about the flavor of the moment and once the novelty wears of some of the highly hyped acts, they start slagging them off. They're in the business of finding the next big thing and being on the cutting edge, so sometimes it gets quite ridiculous how fast they want to knock down artists they helped rise to fame. Sometimes the "alternative music press" seems to be as fickle as some of the so called indie kids, who stop listening to a band once it becomes even somewhat famous.

I just find it odd that on a list of best albums of the decade you get so many albums from certain bands. I mentioned Radiohead earlier and although I like some of their music, I thought it was weird to see Amnesiac on the list because I've always thought it was a pretty mediocre album and Rolling Stone magazine didn't seem to think it was such a hot one either as they gave it three and a half stars(out of five). Surely there must have been some 4/5 and 5/5 albums that would have deserved a place on the list or did they have some deal that anything with the name Radiohead on the cover must be included on the list? Jay Z's "Blueprint" is another three and a half star album, yet it's sitting pretty at #4.

I was talking about the album chart. I haven't even seen the singles one. Obviously there will be exceptions but I'd bet a good 75% is guitar based. So I think saying it is aimed at a particular listener and market was a fair one, so I think the laughing smiley was a little harsh and vindictive!

I think the laughing smiley was a little harsh and vindictive!

Harsh? Vindictive? Come on, why so serious? :lol:

Just supposed to be having a little fun here. The laughing smiley is meant to signify just that...that it was a light hearted comment. If I wanted to be harsh or vindictive, I would have used this :lol: or this :o

You were talking about modern and/or alternative rock and Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and U2 aren't exactly modern or alternative rock. Their music may be guitar driven, but modern or alternative they certainly are not.

Just supposed to be having a little fun here. The laughing smiley is meant to signify just that...that it was a light hearted comment. If I wanted to be harsh or vindictive, I would have used this :lol: or this :o

You were talking about modern and/or alternative rock and Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, and U2 aren't exactly modern or alternative rock. Their music may be guitar driven, but modern or alternative they certainly are not.

your totally wrong, u2 are an alternative to good music without a twat for a lead singer. stupid, cretinous over opinionated prick that he is.

Just supposed to be having a little fun here. The laughing smiley is meant to signify just that...that it was a light hearted comment. If I wanted to be harsh or vindictive, I would have used this :o or this :1012:

I didnt take offence honest! I knew you were having fun!

To be fair i shouldve put AOR along with modern/altenative rock. That covers all bases!

I guess you knew what i was getting at anyway!!!

Some of U2 id put under modern rock, maybe back in the Popmart days - maybe mostly id it under bland though! Apart from Achtung Baby which was great. But you can give me U2 over Coldplay or Radiohead (post OK Computer) anyday.

Maksimov, I hope you weren't complaining about Bruce Springsteen's presence on the list! :)

Actually I was. The Boss' old albums are great but he hasn't made very good albums recently and I don't think his albums should make the list by default(=based on old merits). The stuff he's released during the last ten years just hasn't been good enough to earn a place amongst the best releases of this decade.

Archived