Finish 4th and named manager of the year WTF?

Harry Redknapp has been named Premier League Manager of the Year after breaking into the top four with Tottenham.

Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal have monopolised the UEFA Champions League positions in recent seasons and were expected to dominate once more this term.

Manchester City were tipped to mount a strong challenge after investing heavily in their squad, with the likes of Tottenham, Aston Villa and Everton considered outsiders.

But Spurs have enjoyed a stunning campaign, recording victories over Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool at White Hart Lane.

Other highlights included the 9-1 demolition of Wigan in November, as well as the 1-0 triumph at Manchester City on Wednesday that guaranteed Champions League qualification for the first time in the club's history.

Tottenham could even finish third if they beat Burnley in their final game on Sunday and Arsenal slip up against Fulham.

Redknapp, who took charge in October 2008 when Spurs were bottom of the table, was thrilled with the accolade but paid tribute to his players and the rest of the backroom staff.

Delighted

"I'm delighted to receive the award but it's a team effort with Kevin (Bond), Joe (Jordan), Clive (Allen), Tony (Parks), Tim (Sherwood), Les (Ferdinand) and all the coaching and fitness staff," he told the club's official website.

"Really, I'm just part of the team.

"It's all down to the players and what they've achieved. It's down to them really and a real honour to receive it."

The prize is decided by the Barclays awards panel, which is made up of football's governing bodies, the media and fans.

Redknapp becomes only the second manager since the formation of the Premier League to win the gong without having won the league, following in the footsteps of George Burley after the Scot guided Ipswich to fifth place in 2000/01.

A number of shock defeats for the top teams has contributed to an exciting season and the title race is still alive going into the final day with Chelsea and Manchester United competing for the trophy.

Sorry but am I missing something here, Harry has done OK but really only capitalised on the Scousers being p*ss poor this year.

Tottenham finishing in top 4 would normally be very impressive, but seeing as teams like Liverpool really have been a disappointment it isn't quite as impressive. And it's not like they've been outstanding.

Carlo could have been given it seeing as we've had so many injuries and still might take home the title. But he has been far from perfect as well.

I actually don't know who has been the best. Carlo is ahead for me, but I might be biased.

Are you sre he HAS been named manager of the year??

Yeah premier league confirmed it today

thought hodgson would get it...people forget Sp*rs have spent a fortune too, it's not much less than us, now we have gone quiet last few years

I really hate it when spurs fans say "you bought success" yet they overlook the rich owners they have and the vast vast money they have spent.

I just read this on another site and could not beleive it, Im with the others in nominating hodgson. Those clubs suporters that say we bought success,are normally the clubs that are financially better off than us. They forget that without money they would be nowhere.

Redknapp still comes out smelling of roses after breaking the law through tax evasion. JT has sex with a Wayne Bridges EX and gets treated like a murderer.

Redknapp still comes out smelling of roses after breaking the law through tax evasion. JT has sex with a Wayne Bridges EX and gets treated like a murderer.

And Saint Stevie punches a DJ because he didn't like the music and the judge "grills" him in the court by telling Mr. Starfish what a good goalscorer he is. As if that's somehow relevant...or even true.

Its Premier League manager of the year, Fulham have not been anything special in the league.

For me the award should either go to our Carlo (if we win the league) considering he has spent nothing and it's his first season, or Ally McLeish, Brum have been a consistently strong and stubborn outfit this season.

Thank you coco!

I was wondering how everyone has been able to overlook Alex McLeish and the fantastic job he has done at Birmingham.....I mean were they not hot favourites to be relegated before the season started? and he guided them to safety (top half of the table too!) with how many games to spare?

Its Premier League manager of the year, Fulham have not been anything special in the league.

For me the award should either go to our Carlo (if we win the league) considering he has spent nothing and it's his first season, or Ally McLeish, Brum have been a consistently strong and stubborn outfit this season.

I can't understand it going to any manager unless they have won the league..what next golden boot to the player who took the longest throw in (don't get exited Rory)

Chelsea finished third last season and a new manager who had never managed in this league came in and if they go on to win it deserves the award..if it gos the other way then the manager that has lifted the premiership trophy for heaven forbid four years running should get it..

I like Hodgson and think hes done extremely well as has Mcliesh but seriously winning titles should be the biggest pointer to a how good a managers premiership season has been.

Let us just be clear here, I hate Spurs as much as the next Chelsea fan (and more than some it would appear) however I have to acknowledge that Harry cerainly merits his place in a shortlist as manager of the year. By that I mean that I can accept arguments for other candidates but I can't accept an argument that he shouldn't be in the running.

When you consider:

1. Tottenham breaking into the top four and contrast that against where they were when Harry took over (accepted that he didn't take over this season)

2. That he hasn't just knocked Liverpool out of the top four but also kept out a huge spending Man City.

3. They still have a chance of getting third rather than fourth (and the main reason they probably won't is because Fulham's priorities are understandably elsewhere)

4. That he has got the very best out of players who were previously subject of great mirth (Gomes and Bale)

5. That he has, on current form, possibly the best centre half pairing in the country in King and Dawson.

then, with all these factors considered, I can't grudge him manager of the season.

Having said that he is managing Spurs so lets agree that he should be hung from the Post Office tower wearing a t-shirt saying 'I love Jimmy Carr'

Are you sre he HAS been named manager of the year??

Why is such a decision made before the season is completed? What happens if we win the Double and score the MOST goals ever in the Premiership? Under such circunmstances I believe Ancelotti would be entitled to the honour!

Personally i think any of carlo, redknapp or mcleish would have been worthy winners. Obviously i would have preferred Carlo to take it as he has done a stand up job. However both mcleish and redknapp have done the same. There has been such a stranglehold on the top 4 for the last couple of years which would be why harry won it i think.

Like loz, I agree he should be in the names for consideration, but I don't think he has done nearly enough to deserve the honour when you see the achievements of the other managers in the running.

What Spurs have managed to do is impressive, surely, but they have not taken their game to a different level. They have just introduced a smidgen of consistency to a still-chronically inconsistent team. They have managed to beat big teams, I agree, including us, but they have, on more than one occasion, failed miserably to perform or give a fight in more games, including those against the top teams they beat otherwise. The main reason, I've felt throughout the season, that they even continued to hold a chance to get 4th was because Citeh didn't find any sort of rhythm and consistency to their game, not helped by a change of managers, and because Liverpool have had a massive breakdown.

On the other hand, at least three other names come to mind which I would have put ahead of him.

Carlo - for coming to a totally unfamiliar league, without any major signings, and managing to come, at least at the time of writing, to a home win away from winning the league - at the background of constantly improving competition, injuries, the ACN and having a run at the CL, which Spurs didn't have to do.

Alex McLeish - for getting a newly promoted team so comfortably mid-table that they reached Liverpool at one time and for getting points off all the top 4 teams on home ground.

Red Nose - for losing two of his best players in Ronaldo and Tevez and still managing to be a serious title-challenging team. Again, that came with a good run in the CL, which Spurs were relieved of.

Let us just be clear here, I hate Spurs as much as the next Chelsea fan (and more than some it would appear) however I have to acknowledge that Harry cerainly merits his place in a shortlist as manager of the year. By that I mean that I can accept arguments for other candidates but I can't accept an argument that he shouldn't be in the running.

When you consider:

1. Tottenham breaking into the top four and contrast that against where they were when Harry took over (accepted that he didn't take over this season)

2. That he hasn't just knocked Liverpool out of the top four but also kept out a huge spending Man City.

3. They still have a chance of getting third rather than fourth (and the main reason they probably won't is because Fulham's priorities are understandably elsewhere)

4. That he has got the very best out of players who were previously subject of great mirth (Gomes and Bale)

5. That he has, on current form, possibly the best centre half pairing in the country in King and Dawson.

then, with all these factors considered, I can't grudge him manager of the season.

Having said that he is managing Spurs so lets agree that he should be hung from the Post Office tower wearing a t-shirt saying 'I love Jimmy Carr'

He walked into a job where he couldnt go wrong, even if spuds had of finished 8th or 9th, he would of had a good season, but because the big 4 have all had a very weak season, and citeh decided to swap manager mid-season, spuds have managed to sneak into 4th. If citeh had of beat spuds last weekend, would you suggest Mancini should be MOTY for finishing fourth ? Or maybe he should share it with Sparky ?

1. Considering the players available to Carlo, Harry and Ally, you have to say Ally has by far the weakest squad of players.

2. He didnt knock the dippers out of fourth place, Benitez did that for them, and citeh commited football suicide by sacking Sparky mid-season, when they were doing just as well as they have done since Mancini came in.

3. They wont get third, despite le arse missing RVP, Fabergas and other major players for big chunks of the season. You have to admit that the gunners have probably had the worst season out of the big guns as far as injuries are concerned ?

4. I totally agree with point 4.

5. I dont understand why having the 2 best centre backs (on current form) has to do with being awarded MOTY.

He walked into a job where he couldnt go wrong, even if spuds had of finished 8th or 9th, he would of had a good season, but because the big 4 have all had a very weak season, and citeh decided to swap manager mid-season, spuds have managed to sneak into 4th. If citeh had of beat spuds last weekend, would you suggest Mancini should be MOTY for finishing fourth ? Or maybe he should share it with Sparky ?

1. Considering the players available to Carlo, Harry and Ally, you have to say Ally has by far the weakest squad of players.

2. He didnt knock the dippers out of fourth place, Benitez did that for them, and citeh commited football suicide by sacking Sparky mid-season, when they were doing just as well as they have done since Mancini came in.

3. They wont get third, despite le arse missing RVP, Fabergas and other major players for big chunks of the season. You have to admit that the gunners have probably had the worst season out of the big guns as far as injuries are concerned ?

4. I totally agree with point 4.

5. I dont understand why having the 2 best centre backs (on current form) has to do with being awarded MOTY.

1. I would agree mcLeish had the weakest squad however the original argument was about how it could be Harry when he only got Spurs to 4th. Birmingham are ninth and whilst I accept that is a good achievement for a club who have come from where they came from don't forget they also had money to spend and the clubs in and around them in the league (i.e Stoke, Fulham, Blackburn and even Everton) have not had much money to spend and arguably three of them have worse squads. SO whilst McLeish has done well, he has not done hugely better than managers who are not even being mentioned as being in contention.

2. So if we win the league is it because we won it or because Utd lost it? Liverpool have faltered and that left an opportunity for another club to break into the top four. Three clubs were in the running, Spurs, Villa and City and Spurs prevailed and, form what I have seen over the season, deservedly so. Replacing Hughes with Mancini I don't think is a major factor as their records are probably pretty comparable (admittedly I haven't bothered checking)

3. I think if Fulham had no cup final round the corner they would be more than capable of taking three points off an Arsenal team that is all over the place just now and that would open the door for Spurs to get third. however Fulham will not be at full strength and I think that will swing it in Arsenal's favour. Arsenal have not had any worse luck than us with injuries - the difference is that Wenger has been negligent in his squad building and he has bought too many players with very little back bone so when the chips are down their heads drop.

5. My point on King and Dawson is that I think managers should get credit if players are playing well and Dawson has been at the top of his game for the majority of the season (best centre half in the Premiership this season in my opinion) and King,, when he can play, is possibly the best centre half in England. Harry has shown time and time again over his career that he has the ability to get the best out of players and I think he is doing this again and therefore deserves plaudits for it.

5. My point on King and Dawson is that I think managers should get credit if players are playing well and Dawson has been at the top of his game for the majority of the season (best centre half in the Premiership this season in my opinion) and King,, when he can play, is possibly the best centre half in England. Harry has shown time and time again over his career that he has the ability to get the best out of players and I think he is doing this again and therefore deserves plaudits for it.

Yes agree, but that was your point .4

To be honest with you Loz, I'm tending to agree with Chippy now, the MOTY should 99% of the time, be awarded to the manager who gets his team to the top spot by May the 9th, especially when your competing in probably THE most competetive football league on the planet, bar none.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I think you need to factor in things like resources available, the extent to which the team exceeded expectations, extent to which they achieved their league status whilst competing in other cup competitions as well (Europe and domestic), how affected by injuries the squad was etc etc etc.

There has to be room to recognise achievement outside of simply topping the league. That doesn't mean I don think the manager who wins the league should never get it, just that it shouldn't be the norm.

I don't necessarily agree with that. I think you need to factor in things like resources available, the extent to which the team exceeded expectations, extent to which they achieved their league status whilst competing in other cup competitions as well (Europe and domestic), how affected by injuries the squad was etc etc etc.

There has to be room to recognise achievement outside of simply topping the league. That doesn't mean I don think the manager who wins the league should never get it, just that it shouldn't be the norm.

I've never really sat and thought about this but I still stand by my feeling that the Manager who gets his team to the title should get it,

Its been 4 years since Chelsea won it and the Manager has never managed here before and not brought any players in with him, if we win it he will have broken the stranglehold of a team who has won it for three years straight and who have kept the pressure on him until the last day of the season.

To pip the manager who has had that stranglehold and kept the pressure on for me would mean winning the league, if not that then surely Fergie deserves it.

I understand Harry has done a great Job and think it is fair to aknowledge it but to aknowledge it with Manager of the year is for me missing the fact that others have done better and to be honest I don't think Arsenals squad is any better than Tottenhams, they have spent far less, they have had more injuries and played CL but nobody is suggesting Weger get it.

Shouldnt you also factor in the argument cheating the public revenue of about £40,000 ?

Archived