MOTD comment

lil-drogba11
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just watched MOTD , after our game it was suggested that Drogba must be the second best player in the world , Shearer and Lawrenson agreed .

I'd say opposition fans almost chocked on their late night co co, a big statement and to be honest , i never thought i'd hear anybody say that on MOTD.

Just watched MOTD , after our game it was suggested that Drogba must be the second best player in the world , Shearer and Lawrenson agreed .

I'd say opposition fans almost chocked on their late night co co, a big statement and to be honest , i never thought i'd hear anybody say that on MOTD.

I'd of "chocked":P and sputtered too.

I mean they think their is someone better right now? Ridiculous!

Edited by Barry Bridges

The main thing I noticed about MOTD was Motty's bizarre commentary.

At times it was like he wasn't so much commentating but more like talking to himself. He's like some old bloke in the early stages of dementia.

Time to call it a day Motty.

DROG-BAR!!!

Chelsea: Everyone's second favourite team?

But it does seem like people are warming to us after such an awesome start to the season...

if the media ever build us up, it's generally only to knock us down. this is nothing to do with any anti-Chelsea conspiracy theory, it's what the media do. we are the Champions, we're on top of the league with a quite incredible goal difference, and in general they would love to see is come a cropper.

another comment from MOTD, or maybe it was MOTD2, was something about "September again and Man U are clicking into gear". so "clicking into gear" means conceding two goals and being ultimately eventually fortunate to grab 3 points against a Liverpool side who offered virtually nothing in attack?

you could almost taste the disappointment that Arsenal didn't go top, if only for a few hours. an Arsenal victory was expected and as such, you can bet your life that plenty of lazy, second-rate media hacks, would have had the headlines already written. "Arsenal go top".. "Arsenal put pressure on Chelsea" .. and so on.

we're there to be knocked down. Adrian Durham, who so often panders to the lowest common denominator, is insistent that "Chelsea are heading for a fall". "if they're not found out against Man City" says he, "they'll be found out against Arsenal", using the same old argument that we haven't played anyone yet. but we have set yet more goalscoring records, home and away. the games against Man City and Arsenal could go anyway, but to say we WILL lose is blatant nonsense, and really it's just lazy journalism, of which this quote from Chris Wheeler is typical:

Unlikely. You can admire the ruthless efficiency, as we have in other sports, but that’s as far as it goes.

The secretive Abramovich, the scheming Kenyon and brooding Mourinho gave Chelsea a slightly sinister air which has lingered despite the changes in personnel.

Cole, Terry and Drogba may be fine players but they are unlikely to win many popularity contests.

three short sentences but look at how many different ways this muppet finds to have a pop. we don't play attractive football, we're "ruthlessly efficient. yes quite right. all we do is grind out 4, 5, 6, 7, 8-0 victories. Abramovich doesn't give interviews so he's secretive. Kenyon and Mourinho have gone but are a part of the history which we ain't got and so are there to be knocked forever and a day. and finally the old stand-bys. Ashley Cole (i'm surprised he didn't call him Cashley) who's "sins" include cheating on the nations sweetheart, JT (nuff said), and Drogba, held up so often as a prime example of the diving that's been ruining the game, even though he's never been prone to Stevie G type starfish dives, Nani (did you see that prick at the weekend?) et all clutching their faces in mock-agony.

we're easy targets, that's all. in one way or another we always have been.

TrueblueRich, on 21 September 2010 - 08:05 AM, said:

Chelsea: Everyone's second favourite team?

But it does seem like people are warming to us after such an awesome start to the season...

if the media ever build us up, it's generally only to knock us down. this is nothing to do with any anti-Chelsea conspiracy theory, it's what the media do. we are the Champions, we're on top of the league with a quite incredible goal difference, and in general they would love to see is come a cropper.

another comment from MOTD, or maybe it was MOTD2, was something about "September again and Man U are clicking into gear". so "clicking into gear" means conceding two goals and being ultimately eventually fortunate to grab 3 points against a Liverpool side who offered virtually nothing in attack?

you could almost taste the disappointment that Arsenal didn't go top, if only for a few hours. an Arsenal victory was expected and as such, you can bet your life that plenty of lazy, second-rate media hacks, would have had the headlines already written. "Arsenal go top".. "Arsenal put pressure on Chelsea" .. and so on.

we're there to be knocked down. Adrian Durham, who so often panders to the lowest common denominator, is insistent that "Chelsea are heading for a fall". "if they're not found out against Man City" says he, "they'll be found out against Arsenal", using the same old argument that we haven't played anyone yet. but we have set yet more goalscoring records, home and away. the games against Man City and Arsenal could go anyway, but to say we WILL lose is blatant nonsense, and really it's just lazy journalism, of which this quote from Chris Wheeler is typical:

Unlikely. You can admire the ruthless efficiency, as we have in other sports, but that’s as far as it goes.

The secretive Abramovich, the scheming Kenyon and brooding Mourinho gave Chelsea a slightly sinister air which has lingered despite the changes in personnel.

Cole, Terry and Drogba may be fine players but they are unlikely to win many popularity contests.

three short sentences but look at how many different ways this muppet finds to have a pop. we don't play attractive football, we're "ruthlessly efficient. yes quite right. all we do is grind out 4, 5, 6, 7, 8-0 victories. Abramovich doesn't give interviews so he's secretive. Kenyon and Mourinho have gone but are a part of the history which we ain't got and so are there to be knocked forever and a day. and finally the old stand-bys. Ashley Cole (i'm surprised he didn't call him Cashley) who's "sins" include cheating on the nations sweetheart, JT (nuff said), and Drogba, held up so often as a prime example of the diving that's been ruining the game, even though he's never been prone to Stevie G type starfish dives, Nani (did you see that prick at the weekend?) et all clutching their faces in mock-agony.

we're easy targets, that's all. in one way or another we always have been.

This is true, but at the same time its nice to see that people (maybe not necessarily the press) are warming to Chelsea more.

I was at the pub with my mate who is an Arsenal fan watching the Sunderland game. Naturally, he was livid that Bent managed to equalise but at the same time he said, "We can't play like that against you in a couple of weeks. You're going to destroy us"

Which is a rare concession for him to make, since he rarely says anything good about Chelsea.

And yes i did see that twat Nani's antics, it was truly pathetic.

But going back to the comments made on MOTD, they're correct when they say our real test will be City and Arsenal.

oh, and Nibs, about the commentary, i agree! It was VERY bizarre, it was like he had forgotten where he was and started going off on a mad tangent...

Edited by TrueblueRich

At times it was like he wasn't so much commentating but more like talking to himself. He's like some old bloke in the early stages of dementia.

DROG-BAR!!!

It was weird wasnt it, I honestly thought half way through he had completely forgotten where he was and what he was doing.

Motson's commentary really pissed me off. It seemed to me as though he was deliberately sounding bored because he was being made to watch Chelsea. When you compare his reaction when commentating on Manure or Scousescum, it's like he's a different person.

Chelsea score four goals, Motson stifles a yawn; Torres runs 5 yards with the ball and shoots 20 yards wide, and Mottie's on the verge of creaming his undies. Whenever Rooney does anything, even just standing around scratching his balls, and Motson is screaming out "Roooooonnneeeeeeeeeey" in the last throes of a huge orgasm.

I agree that Motson is losing his marbles, if indeed he ever had any to begin with. I've never liked him at all so maybe I'm a bit biased, but football would be a lot better off without the twat.

What I have noticed not just with Match of the day but with most of the media in general is we don't get referred to as the Champions to anything like the degree UTD do when they hold that honour...I seem to remember them being called Champions more than Manchester UTD when the commentator spoke in their Matches unyet I never notice us not being referred to as Chelsea.

I like to hear it when they say the Champions are piling on the pressure and the like unyet it seems reserved for when other teams are Champions.

Its so unfair, and it hurts so so very much.

DROG-BAR!!!

I noticed that too!

I'd be pretty sure he was in a studio somewhere just dubbing the commentary over the highlights.

Was bizarre though.

DROG-BAR!!!

He did sound as if he was falling asleep and very disinterested.

I think Simon Cass's take is becoming a widely held view:

Chelsea are certainly more loveable than during the Jose Mourinho era.

The Special One provided great soundbites but his arrogance and workmanlike tactics won few admirers.

Ancelotti’s amenable personality and attractive football have changed attitudes.

Outsiders may never grow to love them but there’s no reason to loathe them anymore.

Carlo has alot to do with that. And how well we are playing, obviously.

And I think its very similar to whats going on with Drogba. Before he was a lightning rod of anger and "everything that is wrong with the game" etc etc. Now, like Chelsea, people just have to stop and admire the balance between beauty and brute force in his game. Just like the team as a whole.

I love that a few years ago, Drogba was seen by some as an expensive flop. Today he is without doubt the best forward in England, and in the conversation for the world's best player. It was only when we tried to augment him with Sheva that he first had a breakout season, and then once he got over the "something is broken at Chelsea" period, and put all the games behind him, he has been truly stratospheric. To me, nothing said it more than the gooner at the emirates that asked for his signature after the hattrick last year. At a certain point, as with all the really great players, you just have to admire a world class talent no matter who they play for.

I think Drogba being one of the kindest men off the pitch helps alot, too. ::clap2::

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

What I have noticed not just with Match of the day but with most of the media in general is we don't get referred to as the Champions to anything like the degree UTD do when they hold that honour...I seem to remember them being called Champions more than Manchester UTD when the commentator spoke in their Matches unyet I never notice us not being referred to as Chelsea.

I like to hear it when they say the Champions are piling on the pressure and the like unyet it seems reserved for when other teams are Champions.

Its so unfair, and it hurts so so very much.

totally agree with u, its like we didnt win the league 4 months ago, we are rarely referred to as champions. and the fact people are still questioning our title credentials when we are champions is absolutely ludicrous, and very ignorant.

If man u had won the league and had the same results as we had, theres no way there would be people in the media saying that their games against city and arsenal will see what there made of.

We know exactly what were made of, smashed goals in all last season. Started even better, The question is can the CHAMPIONS retain there title. not have chelsea got what it takes to win the league.

Drogba not winning any popularity contests? LOL

Well besides being the first name out of their mouths when prospects list why the want to come to Chelsea, being national hero in his home country, stopping a civil war, and being listed on this years "100 Most Influential People" list by People magazine.....he really is unpopular! LOLOLOL :laugh2:

Edit: and as I mentioned on another thread, this is essentially the exact same squad who beat every big 4 team away and home last season. The only changes have been vast improvements that are tested and true in the EPL. What exactly needs testing again? I guess these 4-0, 6-0 scorelines have been a string of flukes and really those teams have been super easy, even though quite a few of them are occupying the top half of the table atm.

Edited by Barry Bridges

totally agree with u, its like we didnt win the league 4 months ago, we are rarely referred to as champions. and the fact people are still questioning our title credentials when we are champions is absolutely ludicrous, and very ignorant.

If man u had won the league and had the same results as we had, theres no way there would be people in the media saying that their games against city and arsenal will see what there made of.

We know exactly what were made of, smashed goals in all last season. Started even better, The question is can the CHAMPIONS retain there title. not have chelsea got what it takes to win the league.

Spot on, instead of questioning if we can cut it against the so called big clubs they should be trying to see where these clubs have improved over the close season and if they (City flukes apart) can do anything to turn around the comprehensive defeats they suffered at the hands of the Champions home and away last season.

Seriously lads we can't continue indefinitely with this persecution complex.

Funny I usually feel all the conspiracy and instigation against us is just what every fan of every club feels but the Champions thing is there for all to see...have a listen next time we're on MOTD, if you hear them call us Champions even once (the only person that used that term during the weekend was Ian Hollaway) then I will doff my Cap to you and admit to a touch of Paranoia creeping in.

Spot on, instead of questioning if we can cut it against the so called big clubs they should be trying to see where these clubs have improved over the close season and if they (City flukes apart) can do anything to turn around the comprehensive defeats they suffered at the hands of the Champions home and away last season.

Yup. Champions do not need to be tested, pretenders to the throne need to test themselves versus us!

Funny I usually feel all the conspiracy and instigation against us is just what every fan of every club feels but the Champions thing is there for all to see...have a listen next time we're on MOTD, if you hear them call us Champions even once (the only person that used that term during the weekend was Ian Hollaway) then I will doff my Cap to you and admit to a touch of Paranoia creeping in.

On Sunday's MOTD the match was introduced as "The Champions against The Tangerines".

But we'll ignore that.

On Sunday's MOTD the match was introduced as "The Champions against The Tangerines".

But we'll ignore that.

I'm talking about the in game commentary, I know it is mentioned I just never hear them say it during a match the way they did with UTD last season.

Speaking of Drogba, found this nice, short interview with a Blackpool player on the Sky Sports website after Sunday's match:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11668_6393152,00.html

"I am used to playing against strong players but you don't realise just how strong this guy is until you face him.

"At one stage in the second half, I put my whole bodyweight in front of him and he just tossed me away like I was a rag doll.

"I was thinking, 'hell, this guy's strong', but that's what he is about. He is a clever player and he isn't one of the top three strikers in the world for no reason. I think on Sunday he showed me why."

Seriously lads we can't continue indefinitely with this persecution complex.

I know, it's funny to me that we blame Scousers for having the self righteous "woe is me" mentality, when half of us have it too. However, I do think every club feel, no matter what, they are not getting teh recognition they deserve. How Man Utd fans can think that is laughable. however, they have won a lot and probably feel that they deserve nothing but exhaultations.

I fear we are becoming a victim of our own success, and to be honest should be thankful we get as much press coverage as we do. The reason I joined the old CSR back in the 90's was due to it being the only resource for news about Chelsea. Now we're complaining if we're not top of the bill on MOTD or having every game televised