Kalou's Interview

Chippy

Whatever you think of the boy, he has an attitude that with his abilitty makes him the best fourth choice striker around.

Saloman Kalou ready to fight Fernando Torres for place

By Leon Mann

Kalou has scored seven goals in the Premier League this season

We've all been there. Just when things start to feel like they are going well at work. The boss brings a new star employee into the office.

To many people the £50m arrival of Fernando Torres from Liverpool to Chelsea in January was bad news for the club's incumbent strikers. But Saloman Kalou disagrees.

The Ivorian tells me Torres makes the side stronger, gives them a better chance of winning trophies and can be someone he can learn from to develop his own game.

The pragmatic view could be interpreted as naïve - after all the Spaniard's move to West London has seen Kalou slip further down the pecking order. But when you consider that the 25 year old - who signed for the club in 2006 - still remains at Stamford Bridge, while other forwards such as Andriy Shevchenko , Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole do not, maybe his positivity is based on experience.

He sits opposite me before our interview with a beaming smile. You sense he's expecting the inevitable questions about Torres - but isn't fussed. He is only interested in his own game… So that's where I start.

How do you feel you've progressed during your time at Chelsea?

"Coming to a big club, with big players - you know it's going to be difficult. My goal was to be there when the team needed me and score important goals and I think I did this. So I'm very happy about this. Now I'm focussed on playing regularly in the team and being even more involved."

You said playing regularly. Does the arrival of Torres affect that?

"No. Because I've become a better player now and I can learn a lot from the top strikers that we have at Chelsea. I think with Torres we're going to be even better and progress again. The more competition you have in the team - the more you force yourself to be better. It all benefits the team."

What does Fernando Torres bring to Chelsea?

"I think he is a great player. A great striker with ability. People have to give him the time. It's not easy to move from one team to another. You have to adapt to your team-mates and I think he will help us to win a lot of things - and it would be nice to win the Champions League.

"He's a nice guy. Very quiet person. Once he gets used to his team-mates we are going to see the great payer that is Fernando Torres."

You scored against Everton, Sunderland and then didn't start in the following game. Were you disappointed?

"As a player - yes. You always feel disappointed because you start a run, get your confidence back, and then you have to go back on the bench. It's not easy. But at the end of the day when you have top competition in the team you have to better in every game. Even if it's for 30 minutes or 20 minutes or 90 minutes you still have to perform. That's what I'm trying to do.

"It's not easy to come into a game (from the bench) but it may be different in time. As long as you do your best - people notice, the manager notices."

How do you deal with the disappointment of being on the bench?

"I work even harder. Every time I play I come back to work the next day and work out my frustrations in training. Working hard - running even more and trying to get benefits from the hard work. The hard work always pays off. It worked against Everton in the first leg of the FA Cup and I saved the team otherwise they wouldn't have been playing them again. So I have to continue to work hard. I believe that the club hasn't seen my best yet and I believe my best is yet to come. The opportunity will be there and I will show them more of what I can do.

Why hasn't club seen the best of you?

"I have played some very good games for the club but I know I can do better than that and I think I have the ability even to be the top top player here. I believe that my best is to come."

And finally….

When the camera stops rolling something comes to him. He remembers the last interview I did with him last season.

"The last time we spoke people said the club wasn't doing well then - and look! We went on to do the Double. You bring us good luck!"

Chelsea fans will be hoping it's another lucky interview for Blues.

How long till someone finds a negative in that, Chippy? You do odds! :)

I thought that when I posted it, youd have to be pretty petty to try and fault the boy for anything said here though.

I loved the last bit, you can imagine his face as he said about the good luck thing, great kid.

bloody hell im sick of players piping up with all that "best for the team" nonsense! makes me sick, you know he wants to be first choice and to hell with Torres!!

saying otherwise is just being smarmy and two-faced and thats NO chelsea player i wanna see in OUR squad!!

god these interviews really flip my lid!!!!

^_^

Kind of sad how many people are looking to boot this guy in the summer.

To find anyone with his ability and attitude whilst being nothing more than role player for his 5 seasons is extremely rare.

We are lucky to Kalou. Every other club that has a back striker of his abilities does nothing but moan about not getting chances and throw strops trying to get a move. They destablize the club atmosphere looking out for their own interests. Kalou just quietly does his business with a smile, the few chances he gets and is a great team player, putting Chelseas success before his own "profile". The only negativity around Kalou is that which certain supporters throw at him.

Class act, just wish he'd come up with a better goal celebration than the " I smell something bad" hand wave in front of the face!

Kind of sad how many people are looking to boot this guy in the summer.

To find anyone with his ability and attitude whilst being nothing more than role player for his 5 seasons is extremely rare.

We are lucky to Kalou. Every other club that has a back striker of his abilities does nothing but moan about not getting chances and throw strops trying to get a move. They destablize the club atmosphere looking out for their own interests. Kalou just quietly does his business with a smile, the few chances he gets and is a great team player, putting Chelseas success before his own "profile". The only negativity around Kalou is that which certain supporters throw at him.

Class act, just wish he'd come up with a better goal celebration than the " I smell something bad" hand wave in front of the face!

100% agreed. The lad never had anything to say that irks me, and gives 100% every time he is on the pitch. Sure, the lad isn't Messi, nor is he ever going to be, but I don't see much of a difference between his consistency and play, to that of Joe Cole, who was idolized by a large bunch here.

He is perfectly happy playing second or third fiddle, yet constantly tries to improve his game. Plus I don't think I've seen a guy smile as much on a football field since the Italian Wizard wandered Stamford Bridge.

The thing that frustrates me is he is so close to being a truly wonderful player, someone who would be 1st choice for us. He has everything you want in a player, great attitude, very professional, doesnt moan and whinge when not picked and just gets on with it. If only he had that one little thing thats stopping him from being a real top class footballer. Hes obviously well thought of at the club, and I am more than happy having him in the squad. As Barry said, to find someone to replace him would be quite difficult if he ever did leave.

Good attitude and doe's seem to be getting better each season .At 25 there is still alot more to come from him. For a player that is subbed or comes on from the bench he has a decent goal ratio. With more time on the pitch over possibly the next five years he could become as someone else said our clubs top scorer. time will tell though.

How long till someone finds a negative in that, Chippy? You do odds! :)

Well, allow me.

His attitude, while commendable, is subject to his talent. Simply put, if Kalou was any good + being 25 years old he'd want to be a first team player or go to a club that would offer him the chance to.

He's happy and doesn't moan because he is smart enough to know this is as good as it gets for somebody of his limited ability.

Well, allow me.

His attitude, while commendable, is subject to his talent. Simply put, if Kalou was any good + being 25 years old he'd want to be a first team player or go to a club that would offer him the chance to.

He's happy and doesn't moan because he is smart enough to know this is as good as it gets for somebody of his limited ability.

Well done,

For a minute I thought I might have been a bit too negative in my view of the menatality of fellow shed enders.

Must say though you would have been in my three favourites if I was working out odds for who could come up with a down side to this.

Well done,

For a minute I thought I might have been a bit too negative in my view of the menatality of fellow shed enders.

Must say though you would have been in my three favourites if I was working out odds for who could come up with a down side to this.

I'd make one of the other two, wont I Chippy?

The thing that frustrates me is he is so close to being a truly wonderful player, someone who would be 1st choice for us. He has everything you want in a player, great attitude, very professional, doesnt moan and whinge when not picked and just gets on with it. If only he had that one little thing thats stopping him from being a real top class footballer. Hes obviously well thought of at the club, and I am more than happy having him in the squad. As Barry said, to find someone to replace him would be quite difficult if he ever did leave.

Yep. Exactly the same as Jesper Gronkjaer. Gronks was another nearly man. Had everything except a final ball.

Kalou also reminds me of Babayaro. Much too laid back IMO. Has talent but seems to lack any real aggression on the pitch. Unfortunately the two things you can't coach into a player are pace and aggression. You are either born with them or you aren't.

Still, seems like a nice enough lad. Though I don't expect him to be here much longer unless there is a major step up in his performance levels and consistency.

Roman has just invested another 70 million because he still wants us to be like Barcelona. You won't find Salamon Kalou, or a player of his standard, in the Barcelona squad anytime soon.

He's a useful player, will score about 10-15 goals a season, but hasn't step up yet and I'm not sure if he will ever steps up. Look back at recent months, he was given plenty of opportunites to push for the starting 11 spot, but never really grabbed them. Had he won a few matches by his own merit, we may not even have signed Torress. Now he's down in the pecking order again.

Kalou considering Blues future

Out-of-favour forward feeling frustrated after Torres arrival

Salomon Kalou has revealed he could consider leaving Chelsea in the summer after sliding down Carlo Ancelotti's pecking order.

The Ivorian striker has found himself warming the bench at Stamford Bridge since the £50million arrival of Fernando Torres from Liverpool in January, despite the Spaniard failing to score in four appearances.

Kalou, who arrived at the Premier League side in 2006, admits he is frustrated by the lack of regular first-team football, and is weighing up options over his future.

Difficult

"It's been difficult watching from the sidelines these past few weeks," said Kalou.

"If an opportunity doesn't come, that's when you sit down at the end of the season and think about it.

"Every game it's possible to make the right decision and it has to be something you're doing for the good of your own career. You don't make any decisions by rushing them."

Despite his frustration, Kalou insists his main concern is winning back his place with the Blues and helping them push for Premier League and European success.

But the 25-year-old knows he faces some tough competition, with Torres, Nicolas Anelka, Didier Drogba and Florent Malouda all at manager Ancelotti's disposal.

Kalou added: "They are all top strikers. But I have to say that if you take the statistics I'm not far from them.

"I can reach their level, so I have to keep working hard and that's the only way I will get into the team.

Waiting

"The manager knows I can bring something to the team as well. Right now he's making the choice of Torres and Anelka. It's working well and we're winning games. So I have to wait.

"Torres is a top striker and has changed teams in the middle of the season before, which is never easy. I think he is going to need time to adapt."

Chelsea visit Blackpool on Monday night, and Kalou is feeling confident after victory over leaders Manchester United on Tuesday evening revived the Blues' slender hopes of defending their Premier League title.

"Everything is possible now," he added. "We have to expect some teams to beat United. Beating United was a turning point for us."

Source: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6798128,00.html

I like him as a squad player but I don't think I'd cry if he left but it'd be a shame to lose him

The actual quote is a bit blown out of proportion. He said he would consider leaving if he felt he didn't get a decent go at seasons end. 3 months away. I really value the lad and as dkw says if only he could bloody shoot he would be really something. As he is that habit of scoring crucial equalisers off the bench means I wouldn't be giving him up cheaply. He might even start against Copenhagen next week given our big match against City on that weekend.

I can sort of see his point - if he moved to one of the mid-table premiership teams, he could probably be starting every week...He's scored more Premiership goals this season than Louis Saha, Kenwyne Jones and Carlton Cole (and Anelka) and has probably started fewer games than all of them. I think we'd miss him if he was gone, as he has a great ability to come off the bench and make a difference to a game, but I can certainly see why he would want to leave.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156367176

I don't think he is justified in complaining about the amount of chances he is getting. He has had more than enough opportunities since he came here to nail down a first team spot but just hasn't shown himself to be good enough.

I should imagine the likes of Sturridge and Kakuta will be wishing they can have half the number of first team chances Kalou has been given over the past five years.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=156367176

I don't think he is justified in complaining about the amount of chances he is getting. He has had more than enough opportunities since he came here to nail down a first team spot but just hasn't shown himself to be good enough.

I should imagine the likes of Sturridge and Kakuta will be wishing they can have half the number of first team chances Kalou has been given over the past five years.

But is he complaining though? All he has said is that if he's not able to break into the first team by the end of this season then he'll consider going somewhere else. If, as you're saying, he's had the opportunities but isn't good enough, then it's perfectly reasonable of him to think that he's wasting his time staying here and try to find somewhere that he will get more games.

All the time Kalou accepts he is a squad player and is happy with that then there is no problem. As soon as he thinks he is more than that and feels he should be starting matches then it's time to let him go to somewhere that can be a reality for him.

When I look at Kalou, I can't help thinking of Birmingham or Everton.