Malouda OUT, Zhirkov IN?

SixThirty

I've said this for a while. Yuri simply must have his chance the way Malouda is playing. I know Zhirkov has been injured - but I've been saying as SOON as he gets match fit he must get drafted straight in. Regardless of tonight's game, I believe this change needs to happen.

Malouda ....I lost the count how many times he gave away the ball and did those direction less passes..

Once Zirkov was in , our midfield became lively...

we can call it a off color day for Malouda...

but if Zirkov is fully fit Malouda might have to spend time on bench from here onwards.

Edited by Jawan

Depends if Zhirkov can stay fit or not. My one major issue with him is that he's always bloody injured. If he was fit then he'd bee a good squad player to have around, sure. And on current form, should probably get a run of games ahead of Malouda. But this is all assuming he doesn't get injured again soon.

What a lovely dilemma to have?? Zhirkov showed some real hunger tonight and he's fit and coming good at a time when we really need his inventiveness and vision..

I think Malouda's tired.......

What really pleased me tonight was Carlo's ability to make the big calls that changed the form and pace of the game. Tactically he was faultless.

What a night!!

Inspiring

I thought Zhirkov done well and I've always rated him but to sell Malouda because hes having a run of bad form would be a mistake, ok give Zhirkov some starts or bring him on earlier but if we sold every player who had had a run of bad form we'd be fielding the Tea Lady.

Essien has had a terrible time and looked nothing like the player we had but tonight showed glimpses and I'm glad hes still our player, same with Drogba, he came on and was great...not at his best but he looks like he wants it again which is good news.

I think the general view has to be that there are players getting in the team due to lack of options. Not we have three great strikers to chose from, and some great midfielders that will raise the level of competition.

I think Malouda needs a break, and Yuri needs a chance

I'd like to see the following players shipped out in the summer:

Hilario

Turnbull

Ferreira

Benayoun

Zhirkov

Drogba

Anelka

Malouda

Kalou

Players I wouldn't mind seeing leave:

Ferreira

ZhirkovKalou

Anelka

Out: hilario, ferreira, bosingwa, zhirkov, anelka, drogba(maybe)

in, van der wiel, hamsik, pastore, hazard, aguero( depending on drogba.

I would suggest Zhirkov may be sold as he still has good market value and there will be plenty of suitors, mainly in Russia. He has made little or no impact to the squad these past 2 seasons (of course he has had injuries too) but i just cant see him being an important player for us. Im sure we could get a price still not too far from what we paid and if that money can be utilsed elsewhere in the team then its a no brainer. Furthermore as for a replacement lets not forget we will have PVA to return - im sure he is going to be an important role for us moving forward. He really does look the biz.

players i wouldnt mind leaving are:

bosingwa

Zhirkov

Kalou

Anelka

drogba

Curious to see if you lads still feel the same....one has already voiced, what appears to be, a change of heart.

Zhirkov has earned his next start at his perferred position, and long over due imo. Not advocating selling Malouda unless we get a great bid/sign another class winger, however he is 30 so the time to cash in is soon!

Zhirkov should get a few starts when he's fit. Malouda drove me crazy on a night like this, missed couple of easy chances, always go inside to run into brick walls, slow down the play, and careless in giving possession. Time to think of it, it's not the first time he has done that lately. Zhirkov actually plays like a winger, get on with it fast, run good channel,s decent cross, and has the ability to get away from defenders in a flash. This is the 3rd penalty we have seen he got, and how many games has he started for us? There were real penalties, no dive at all. He almost scored, denied by a lucky Vidic block. If Carlo picks players on form, Zhirkov should be picked in the next match,

Very disapointed with Malouda tonight,thought he could be the key to unlocking a tight utd defence,as it turned out it wasn't that type of game.First 10 mins all looked good ,but then came the square passes,poor lay offs etc.Its a shame really, because when you watch his game closely,you really do see what a superbly skillfull player he is.I guess he is one of those players that need a confident team around him for him to shine,but on the evidence of not only tonights game,but recent others,Zhirkov must be allowed to start ahead of him.

I think this is another example of where our small squad is causing us problems. Malouda is in his thirties now, and it's unrealistic to expect him to be able to keep up as much pace as is required of him in every single game. I'm trying to think of the last match he didn't play in and I'm struggling. The point is that it's very plausible that Malouda's drop in form has been brought about by our over-reliance on him while Zhirkov has been injured.

With that said, I don't think selling Malouda is the answer because then we are merely putting Zhirkov in the same situation and causing ourselves problems. The sensible thing to do now would be to put Zhirkov in for the next few games and see how he gets on (bear in mind that he hasn't played 90 minutes for a long while). Assuming he's up to the task, we can give Malouda a couple of weeks of rest and then maybe think about bringing him back in. It's worth thinking about a rotation system here.

The fact is that they're not the same player and they don't have the same style. What works against one team may not work against another and it's always worth having something different to bring off of the bench.

It's also worth remembering that in his time with us, Yuri has been quite delicate. If we were to sell Malouda and then Zhirkov goes down injured, who else can we bring in? The wings are where we're short for players as it is, there's no need to give ourselves extra problems.

If selling Malouda means we can bring the best out of Zhirkov then I think it should be done. Lets be honest, until Malouda is there in the team, Zhirkov is not going to get a fair crack at the first team. Zhirkov is younger and technically better than Malouda and also has more pace and trickery. Its a gamble but one worth taking given how long its been since we've seen Malouda os the last year. Its beginning to think last year was an exception rather than the norm wrt Malouda.

I thought Zhirkov done well and I've always rated him but to sell Malouda because hes having a run of bad form would be a mistake, ok give Zhirkov some starts or bring him on earlier but if we sold every player who had had a run of bad form we'd be fielding the Tea Lady.

Essien has had a terrible time and looked nothing like the player we had but tonight showed glimpses and I'm glad hes still our player, same with Drogba, he came on and was great...not at his best but he looks like he wants it again which is good news.

Yeah, I agree. I don't know why giving a certain player a few more starts means that the alternative should be shipped out as soon as possible. They're both very good players; let them compete for the spot.

Competition for places is something we can definitely reclaim from the Mourinho era.

Also, United have Giggs and Scholes as game-changing subs; the thought of having at least one of Malouda, Drogba or Anelka ready to come off the bench next season is a VERY exciting thought.

Competition for places is something we can definitely reclaim from the Mourinho era.

Also, United have Giggs and Scholes as game-changing subs; the thought of having at least one of Malouda, Drogba or Anelka ready to come off the bench next season is a VERY exciting thought.

Agreed on all sides and if you had to pick one I think Malouda is the one to stay for finiancial and football reasons. Finiancial is obvious, I believe both Drogba and Anelka not only earn more salary-wise, but would fetch more transfer-wise. Malouda should also have a longer shelf life as an impact player due to his younger age. In football terms we have just Malouda and Zhirkov who can compete for the left wing. In the striker department we have far more depth and thus can afford to ship out a player or 2 in that position while still possessing 1 world class striker, 1 emerging talent, and 1 striker who would lead the line at most other EPL clubs. That's not including Borini who sounds like he may be gone in the summer of his own volition.

Just watching the first half now and to me Malouda appears to have lost his confidence, nothing more. The great chance he wasted was not due to a lack of skill but because he was just making sure it got on target instead of going all out for the goal. Many of his passes seemed hesitant instead of adventurous. I suspect Maloudas is a player more influenced than influential amongst the first team on the pitch and thus his confidence is likely linked closely to that of the squads. I suspect we will see a great upturn in his form if the team persists to do well.

Quite excited to see Yuri make an appareance in an attacking role....

It's important not to forget just how good Malouda was at the start of this season and the end of last... he's still our joint top scorer this season and can no doubt have a massive impact for us.

That being said, he has been very poor lately, maybe he needs a rest, maybe he needs someone to come in and give him some competition for his place, but either way I think Zhirkov is just the man to step in and help. He was fantastic last night, constantly getting forward and running at the defence at every opportunity - superb!

The reason I wouldn't mind seeing zhirkov go wasn't about his ability. It's the fact he spends alot of time on the treatment table, didn't fit well into our system, and at 27 would see us recoup some money to spend in different areas. There's never been a doubt about his ability, he proved last night he deserves a place in a 4 4 2. if we revert back to 4 3 3, then he may see little game time as he has so far in his Chelsea career. If that's the case then I wouldnt be that disappointed if he left.