Games that still keep you awake

clubhappy

F**k it factor , games that still keep you awake at night are starting to rear their ugly heads again , i thought i'd got over them but they still crop up .

Champions league final of course , still to this day i think about it , its just keeps coming back to me , if only , imagine the celebrations Ian .

1994 F.A. Cup final , one of my worst moments as a Chelsea fan , never leaves me.

2002 F.A. Cup final .

2005 Champions league semi , we had better players , all over them 2nd half , Eider missing and it just needed a touch .

2007 Semi , those f***in penalties never leave me , never slept for about 3 weeks.

Chelsea v Monaco , had my night in May already planned , eventually slept after getting drunk for a few weeks.

Many more but i'll leave the 1972 League Cup final until another time .

2005 Champions League Semi-Final: We were the better team, robbed by a ghost goal and I have no doubt had Gudjohnsen put that ball in the back of the net we'd have beaten AC Milan in the final.

2008 League Cup Final - I still think that wasn't a penalty and Woodgate's winner was so lucky

2008 Champions League Final - Drogba hit the post and Terry's penalty miss will forever haunt me

2009 Champions League semi-final - we were what about 30 seconds away from the final when Iniesta scored, the biggest injustice ever, Barca should have had players off the park and we should have had like a dozen penalties

All of the good ones have been mentioned and I agree with them, but for me it is still those 15 minutes in Monaco that burn most of all. Just the sheer idiocy of the whole thing, the fact that it was completely avoidable. An away goal against ten men should have been fine, but no we had to have Jimmy (the great worker that he was) at right midfield and Veron...f**k. I remember so vividly Hasselbaink whinging at the referee and not tracking as they broke down our right side for Morientes to score. And Ambrosio I think it was, going absolutely off his nut at the team after it went in.

Obviously Porto would have been tougher opposition than I thought they were at the time, and we did just as poorly in the second leg so nothing was guaranteed but I really feel that could have won that year. Mourinho had yet to happen and not knowing everything that we know now I was just destroyed at the time, thinking how the f**k did that man just cost us a chance of a place in a European Cup final. How can he possibly have made such a clusterf**k of a mistake at such a crucial time.

Obviously it wasn't our last chance and there was to be further heartbreak but over everything else possibly because it was before all our Mourinho/Carlo success it's the one I haven't forgotten.

I must have a really bad memory because I really don't remember much from that game against Barcelona when JT missed the penalty. Perhaps I have suppressed that one.

But the other game against Barcelona where Ovrebo completely screwed us over still haunts me. Even if you count all the games ever played, this is one of the biggest screw-overs (is that a word?) ever.

I must have a really bad memory because I really don't remember much from that game against Barcelona when JT missed the penalty. Perhaps I have suppressed that one.

But the other game against Barcelona where Ovrebo completely screwed us over still haunts me. Even if you count all the games ever played, this is one of the biggest screw-overs (is that a word?) ever.

It's weird...I was devastated by the ECL final loss...and was upset for weeks...

But that Barcelona semi, made me so angry....and I'm still angry. I can't shake it.

Chelsea v Leicester 19th April 1999, f**king Steve f**king Guppy......I can still see that ball curling in now. I hate him.

Not to mention Doob's own goal...

Loads from the CL, Monaco, the dippers in 05 and 07, the final in Moscow, Barca in 09, 7 minutes from the semi-final in 2000. 5-1 at WHL in the League Cup, a horrid night, and losing the FA Cup final to Arse the same year. Carling Cup final in 08, we were shocking that day. Heskey's last minute goal for Wigan.

JT didnt miss a pen against Barca :unsure:

But I agree that semi-final is one of the biggest screw-overs ever

Ranieri's monumental balls-up against Monaco is probably the worst one for me - Veron should have been taken out and shot after that game - actually, before the game would have been better.

Two successive games in 1972 also spring to mind, losing 2-3 at Orient in the FA Cup, then losing to Stoke in the League Cup Final the following week. And that was before we were crap!

Losing 2-3 at home to Tottenham in the FA Cup 6th Round in 1982 still hurts, even though we were in the 2nd Division then and the result wasn't exactly a surprise. At least we gave the y*ds a good kicking after the game, eased the pain somewhat.

The 1994 FA Cup Final was another disaster I'd rather forget about but can't.

Those are the ones that immediately spring to mind, but there are obviously many more...

Agree with a lot of the ones already said. Also another one, not that it was a close game but that carling cup semi final defeat to spurs at their place (2003?) was a bad one for me. There are a lot of spurs who live near me. It was horrible.

The 1994 FA Cup Final was another disaster I'd rather forget about but can't.

Lots still linger, but this one in particular. I might have posted this before, but that Spring I was working in Manchester Town Hall, doing some sh*t for the City Council. All the mancs there were giving it large about how they were bound to win 5-0, so I, rashly, said that if they won 5-0 I would take all of them (5 or 6 I think) out on the town in Manchester, with everything on me.

I never, ever, either before or since, had wanted a final whistle so much as that day!

94 cup final for me, I was depressed for months after. A great cup run culminating with the Luton semi final and the whole ground singing Kerry Dixon off the pitch. I thought our time in the sun had finally come back but we were spanked in the rain at Wembley. Never been so miserable after game.

By the time the 94' FA Cup Final came around I had only been supporting Chelsea for a wee while as an optimistic 11 year old... I remember making a Chelsea banner to decorate my front room, and felt so proud to see them make the final. That was probably my first memory of crying over a football match. I remember Peacock hitting the bar and thinking ''We can actually win this!?'' then they destroyed us. Fair play to them, because on paper, they were by far the stronger team and they deservedly came out on top but god it was upsetting to watch. I cried my eyes out!

The main one for me though, was obviously the 2008 champs league final. Nothing comes close to that feeling afterwards. I just felt numb. I couldn't even get upset.

Every now and then I relive the penalty clipping in off the post and the celebrations that follow.

And I know that when we do eventually win it, most of the frustration will probably come out then. That one will mean as much to us as it will JT.

Edited by Elliott

Definitely the CL Final and Barca Semi the next year. The CL Final, we dominated the second half and extra time, Drogba AND Lamps hit the woodwork. Generally horrible night.

Barca Semi is just for the injustice. How does a referee miss THAT MANY crucial decisions? Ridiculous. Terrible, terrible evening.

By the time the 94' FA Cup Final came around I had only been supporting Chelsea for a wee while as an optimistic 11 year old... I remember making a Chelsea banner to decorate my front room, and felt so proud to see them make the final. That was probably my first memory of crying over a football match. I remember Peacock hitting the bar and thinking ''We can actually win this!?'' then they destroyed us. Fair play to them, because on paper, they were by far the stronger team and they deservedly came out on top but god it was upsetting to watch. I cried my eyes out!

That's the first time I ever remember watching a Chelsea match, and it's still one of the worst experiences. The thing is we were matching them before Elleray intervened. It was the most unjust 4-0 scoreline ever. I still think it would have been different if Peacock's shot had dipped under the bar. Even now it looks like it's going in when I see it.

2008 Champions League Final - Terry's penalty miss left a sour taste in my mouth...i kept thinking if he took the penalty only because he wanted all the glory -_-

2009 Champions League semi-final - Things about this match that i can always remember

1) Drogba having a one on one shot saved by valdes at the Nou Camp, and again he missed a great chance at the bridge

2) i felt like overbo should be buried somewhere in the abyss, his non refereeing was ridiculous :angry:

Xabi Alonso's deflected goal that led us into losing our first home game in 84 matches was :JC_doubledown:

this season's Sunderland's win at the bridge :unsure:

On a more positive note i can still relive some moments of the Chelsea vs Barca game which we won 4-2 at the bridge it was one of the best games really..ronaldinho scored a beauty but our counter attacking football was awesome that day..

and also the 2-3 come back win at Goodison park the Lampard and Drogba goals were just unbelievable

Edited by adren022

Being two nil up against Arsenal, and f**king it up.

Bloody Kanu.

Yeah that's one that stands out for me.

Moscow is the most obvious one. I haven't been able to watch the penalty miss since it's happened.

The 2nd leg of the Champions League tie with Barca back in 2000 is another. So close to going through and in the end hammered 5-1. It took a while to get over.

Champions league final in 2008 because we deserved to win that game, the 2005 semi against those james hunt scousers because the linesman shi*tted himself and signalled for the goal that wasn't and a 0-4 loss at home to west spam in the stamford bridge somme in 1986,(brother is a spammer),so had to eat large amounts of humble pie that day and untill the return match at upton park,(revenge was sweet though).

All the hell we have suffered in the Champions League will always be felt. The 94 Cup Final sticks out will stay in my mind forever. Whenever a manure fan goes on about decisions I can't help but bring up Elleray. (Not that a lot of them have a clue what I'm on about) The fact I was unable to get a ticket despite having been to most home games that season was the first kick in the face, (The FA gave us about 18,000 I recall) worse still a kid a few years younger than me at school had always claimed to be a Chelsea fan but had never seen a game. Well low and behold his dad had contacts and he managed to get a ticket, I can still remember the little scrote gleefully telling me. To top it off a manure fan I knew had managed to get a ticket in the Chelsea end, he left about an hour after getting a kicking.

A new one to add is the League Cup Semi against Sheffield Wednesday in 1991. I really thought we were going to Wembley, Wednesday were flying in Division 2, but we were favourites. I listened to the first half on the radio as an eager 14 year old dreaming of Cup Final, I had a match myself that afternoon and had to listen to the 2nd half on my walkman that was probably bigger than myself at the time. 2-0 to Weds, did we even put up a fight? As i remember we lost the 2nd leg the following Wednesday and were humiliatingly stuffed 5-1 on aggregate.

Edited by Scooby Blue

Kayode Odejayi - Barnsley 1-0 Chelsea, This hurt me more than most because I moved from London to the Cheltenham area and Odejayi had just moved to Barnsley the summer before from Cheltenham Town. I got soooooo much abuse from the locals (even though they probably never heard of him before they saw he scored the winner vs Chelsea then wikipedia'ed his name and saw he was Ex-Cheltenham!).

Also when Le A'rse came to town and won 2-1 at the bridge Nov 2008. This angered me a hell of alot as I was sat in the Shed for this one and clearly saw Van Persie was about 2 meters offside and just assumed the ref had seen it too. I was like " ah its alright he will blow, why isnt he blowing, are you real, wtf ref!!!!". We were the better side that game aswell but I just hate when you see an obvious decision right infront of you live and the ref does nothing about it.

Good job i didnt go to Barca 2009 because i would probably of ended up telling ovrebo what I thought of his performance by running onto the pitch!