Could we ever win the Champions League?

Myles_91

I don't buy into all this "All Roman wants is the Champions League" talk. I do think that he would love us to win it, but the media place more emphasis on it than I think he does.

I still believe that 04 and Moscow were our best chance of winning it and they probably comprised of the best Chelsea teams I have ever seen anyway. I'll go on record in saying I don't think we will win the CL in my lifetime (then again I said the same about the league ;)) but I'm not too bothered. I still view the Premier League as the best competition and the one I want to win most, you only really play CL football for about 4/5 months of a season, whereas the PL consists of almost an entire year's hard work.

This generation of players have in all likelihood had their time pass by, and if the financial fair play rules actually work, we will possibly never have the ability to use enough resources to compete with the likes of Barca, Real, and United.

Edited by Cam

This generation of players have in all likelihood had their time pass by, and if the financial fair play rules actually work, we will possibly never have the ability to use enough resources to compete with the likes of Barca, Real, and United.

A shame about the FFP rules which are primarily set out to stop clubs like us and City and allow the cartel of Barca, United, Madrid and the Milan clubs to dominate.

I doubt the FFP will come into place whilst Barca and Madrid are in this much debt though

A shame about the FFP rules which are primarily set out to stop clubs like us and City and allow the cartel of Barca, United, Madrid and the Milan clubs to dominate.

I doubt the FFP will come into place whilst Barca and Madrid are in this much debt though

I also doubt that they will be in any way effective at stopping a shady businessman like Roman doing whatever the hell he likes. There will be loopholes and I'm sure he'll pay somebody to find them. I really don't consider FFP to be something that will impact us too greatly - certainly not in the short to medium term.

I'll go on record in saying I don't think we will win the CL in my lifetime

Unless the 91 in your user name indicates your age I think you are wrong on that.

We will win it.

I do agree that we have passed up two golden opportunities, but if we keep knocking on the door it will eventually open.

Of course we can, when? dont know.

You need some luck in this donald duck competition and we certainely havent had that in the past.

Presently we are not good enough to win the Champions League.

If a new manager is given 2 or 3 seasons of complete control - an open checkbook, hiring and firing - that would be a step in the right direction.

The managers I'd favour to accomplish the task are Guardiola or Villas Boas.

yes we can...............its a fair question (not a silly thread)

but probably not with this squad but maybe the next generation as it rotates, so maybe 2-3 years time, depending on how we develop it - unfortunately I think this squad won't do it - and we have had some bad luk - this year we weren't good enuf - look at teams who have won it last few years and,

barca - long-term strategy with core nucleus players and some world beaters

inter - short-term strategy with core nucleus players.............but playing negative/effective system

mancu - as barca - (ronaldo & tevez)

so we DO have the nucleus here, but maybe not the star players who can really deliver when it matters

so YES but not yet

We've had the ghost goal.

Terry's slip.

The fiasco in 2009.

What other CL disasters have beset us? Bad luck can't go on forever.

But what if lightening strikes twice?

I still can't believe we didn't win it with Hiddink because of the confidence/form/players/team spirit/performance x2 vs Barca. I wasn't alive during the 1994 FA Cup Final although I have heard people say too that it is up there in terms of 2009 of being an unforgettable game. If so, Im glad I didn't see it. I can watch Man Utd of 2008 because I still can't believe we went to a final but 2009, I can't. I will never ever ever live it down. That game showed me the kind of luck we get in these UEFA Fix of a tournament.

But what if lightening strikes twice?

I still can't believe we didn't win it with Hiddink because of the confidence/form/players/team spirit/performance x2 vs Barca. I wasn't alive during the 1994 FA Cup Final although I have heard people say too that it is up there in terms of 2009 of being an unforgettable game. If so, Im glad I didn't see it. I can watch Man Utd of 2008 because I still can't believe we went to a final but 2009, I can't. I will never ever ever live it down. That game showed me the kind of luck we get in these UEFA Fix of a tournament.

To go in 0-0 at half time having been by far the better team is disappointing. To go on from there to lose 4-0 is just sickening. Horrible day.

Of course we can. If we can stay a big club for a long time I can see us being one of the favourites every year.

Then we just need that extra bit of luck and of course to pray that people (refs/UEFA) stop screwing with us.

I know a lot of people are saying that Barca is the best and invincible, but let's not forget that they were just as good when we faced them 2009 and if we'd just had a decent ref we would have knocked them out.

We can beat them and we can win this.

I feel our next generation of players will win it, as stated above the current squads time has past. However I would still like to see terry and Lamps in the wining squad, just so they can say that the won the lot in their time with Chelsea.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will win the CL. If we continue the way we have been playing for the past 6 years we will definitely win. Why would you question whether we could ever win?

No chance for the foreseeable, and even less if we splash out on new players before we get a manager. I'm sure the rumours about us buying anyone over £20m are false but presenting the new guy with a squad not of his choosing really is doing everything arse about face.

No chance for the foreseeable, and even less if we splash out on new players before we get a manager. I'm sure the rumours about us buying anyone over £20m are false but presenting the new guy with a squad not of his choosing really is doing everything arse about face.

None of that makes any sense at all. If the new manager is Hiddink (which it is almost certain now) then he has been recommending players for the past few years, and I would expect us to be going after players he wants to manage. Why do you think the rumours about us buying over £20m are false? What a complete load of bollocks.

Who actually cares (roman i know) absaloutly souless competion. should be called the came with in 4 places of being champoins league, epitomised by the fact that a team that wernt actually champoins going in to the season got to the final. Additionly it has runied football. Its blackhole of a competion that distroys everything pure and good about football.

The prem is our bread and buter and should be our priority year after year

We will win it, but sadly i think alot of our current sqaud will not be there to be involved. Hopefully once we win it once, we will continue to get success. We will definatly have won it atleast once in the next 10 years.