Are Spurs close to us?

Myles_91

I've been debating with a few Spuds recently and they genuinely believe they are close to us on a footballing level. Whilst I would discretely concede they have a very good team these days that is better than most I still don't believe they come anywhere near to us or United. I feel they are more comparable to City, Arsenal or even the Dippers. Last season we had our worst in about 10 years yet still finished way above them, in what most of them consider their best season their best season in about 2 decades. We completely outplayed them in both league meetings last season and I can honestly say I wasn't impressed by them at all. I think a few seasons out of midtable mediocrity has meant their delusion has soared to new levels even usurping the Scousers or is it just me?

I just wanted to gather opinions and thoughts on this from perhaps the older (hence more wiser) Blues on here to get a more retrospective view. I would say we are considerably stronger in Spurs in every position bar perhaps midfield, but on almost every ocassion we have played them in the last 5 or 6 meetings we have dominated the midfield area in all but 1.

I just hope to god we get that long overdue win at 3 point Lane this season, not just cos it is my Birthday the day after but I think these Spuds need a reality check. ::ChELSeAFaN::

Spurs are a good team who might beat us when we play them, but over a season they aren't as good as us.

They have good players, some are great even, but looking at the squads I would say we are stronger.

In a way they are almost like we were before Roman came in - capable of beating the best, but not strong enough to win the league.

They are deffinately punching above their weight,Levy's spending could see them doing a Leeds,there was a great debate on talk thingy with a spurs and chelsea fan really going at it," my dad is bigger than yours" sort of thing,chelsea fan just confidently swatted his jibes away.

Spurs are a good team who might beat us when we play them, but over a season they aren't as good as us.

They have good players, some are great even, but looking at the squads I would say we are stronger.

In a way they are almost like we were before Roman came in - capable of beating the best, but not strong enough to win the league.

They can't beat United like we could though :D

Still haven't forgiven them for the thrashing in the semi's of the Worthington Cup, I was about 16

at the time, and was dead cert we were going to the final, and then topped off with the 2008 Carling Cup final.

My dream is for us to hammer them in an FA Cup Final, I was sort of happy and gutted when Pompey knocked em out

a few years back, would have loved clinching the double against them, was very funny though, and that's what having

Spurs around is all about it.

I love it when a Spurs fan says, "The Glory days are coming back to the Lane" :JC_doubleup:

Other than van der vaart and Modric I can't think of a Spurs player that would make us any better but we have a whole host of players who would improve them.

gareth bale for sure, pure quality. Apparently this is one of the issues between modric and levy with their gentlemen agreement they had in place if a bigger club came along. Levy is of the opinion that we arent a bigger club. Luka is obviously a bit more with it and realises a team in the CL and a team that is one of the favourites for the prem year in year out is in fact better than a team that might occasionally get into top four

To be fair, I'd take Modric, Bale, Sandro, Lennon and VDV (Who I thought we should have signed last season.) The difference between us is really in both boxes, which coincidentally is where games are won and lost.

It was closeish last season. But we were in a trough and they were at their peak (beating Inter and whatnot), if we play to our potential there really wouldn't be much of a comparison, even if we don't sign Modric.

They over rate there players... at the beggining of the season they told me catagoricly that there squad was better then our's, its was just our first 11 that we had an advatange with.

They quoted names up frount like defo, pavlechenco, crouch, kean, pointing out they had quality on and of the pitch... that quality managed no more then 4 league goals at best I believe?

In defence they hold king and woodgate up as defensive rocks, cant really include them if they never play.

It goes on, essentialy they talk up players like huddleston as a world class. This is why they think they are better then they are but at the end of the season they cant argue with the league table

Brimstone, scuse me if I'm missing sarcasm or something but did you actually mean that their support is a big happy family and that ours isn't?

I speak forthrightly......what ive seen on tv of spurs fans , every one of them to a man makes a very load noise on behalf of their team.....as we know , unless we are playing a big 5 team our support(again, in MY OPINION) is lets be kind and say lacking.....Im sure many will disagree....We are a fragmented bunch...

Their midfield is easily better than ours, but in GK, defence and upfront its no contest

Easily? Is it hell easily better than ours. It is on a par maybe, but thats it.

They do what every other fan does; overrate their team and underrate others.

Everybody does it so fair play.

However anybody with any sense will tell you that Chelsea are the better team. But by how much? Well that's up for debate.

For those claiming that we are so much better we do seem to struggle against them an awful lot recently. :unsure: