Sturridge Alleged Racism Claim

ant-sw6

http://www.dailymail...helsea-fan.html

Article in the Daily Mail this morning regarding the Genk match away.

Now call me cynical, but they have a person who has emailed Gourlay to say this out of blue and who also just happened to spot that the individual was joining in the chant aimed at Anton Ferdinand.

If it is true then of course the person should be severely punished however it all seems slightly contrived and familiar at the moment.

Some of the comments below the article just about sum up what people think of us.

This first comment has a huge negative rating, whilst the comment below that has been given a huge positive rating.

Let's kick Chelsea while they are down!!! Why are Chelsea the most hated club in the country?? This is not your typical "shed end supporter" who allegedly called Sturridge a monkey, this is some posh bloke who i will guess is a jolly come lately supporter. Chelsea are not a racist club, Chelsea have done so so much in my community (Wandsworth) in and out of schools and particularly my old school in Battersea where at least 80% are made up of Black and Asian pupils. JT is also completely innocent until proven otherwise. Everyone should get of Chelsea's back. Jealousy??

- kenlondon, London, 15/11/2011 9:45

Chelsea is a racist club, always has been, always will be

- Tim, Kent, 15/11/2011 9:16

Yeah it's gone now. Very odd indeed.

This site have picked up on it http://www.soccerway.com/news/2011/November/15/chelsea-fan-accused-of-sturridge-abuse/?

The write up under the headline on the mail site reads - Daniel Sturridge, who will make his England debut as a substitute against Sweden at Wembley, has been the target of alleged racist abuse from his own club's fans.

I thought it was one idiot?

It should be simple enough to find out who the alleged racist is...if that article is anywhere near truthful...lets hope for a vigorous investigation.

Also I hope everyone at the game on Sunday is watchful of any racist or homophobic chanting directed at our players or fans, by opposition supporters.

Zero tolerance should cut both ways, and its time we stood up for ourselves and our players.

Edited by SHELLY

For sunday's game everyone should turn up with white hats/masks on and waving inflatable banana's. The press will make up that sort of thing anyway.

It'll be nice to see pictures of Terry and Saurez shaking hands and having a laugh before the game!

For sunday's game everyone should turn up with white hats/masks on and waving inflatable banana's. The press will make up that sort of thing anyway.

It'll be nice to see pictures of Terry and Saurez shaking hands and having a laugh before the game!

Lost here. Why would you want people to wave bananas?

When I saw "the Mail" I confess my first thought was the suspicion that they might have set something up. In the same article they state the chant: "‘Anton Ferdinand, you know what you are’. to be:

...in moronic support of the alleged racist foul language from Chelsea captain John Terry, supposedly directed at QPR’s Ferdinand, that the Metropolitan Police are investigating.

How's that for a leap of logic? According to the Mail, "you know what you are" isn't merely in support of JT, can not possibly be an indication of contempt for Ferdinand's behaviour following the allegations, but is in support of what JT is alleged to have said. Guilt by mickey mouse mind reading.

Anyone fancy a bit of history?

"Hurrah for the Blackshirts"

A famous example of the Daily Mail's longstanding commitment to impeccably balanced and unbiased coverage of controversial political events. This headline appeared on the front page of the 8 July 1934 edition, and accompanied a piece on Sir Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists that read, in part: "If the Blackshirts movement had any need of justification, the Red Hooligans who savagely and systematically tried to wreck Sir Oswald Mosley's huge and magnificently successful meeting at Olympia last night would have supplied it."

Subsequent articles emphasised the paper's unstinting support -- on 15 January 1934, the BUF was described as "a well organised party of the right ready to take over responsibility for national affairs with the same directness of purpose and energy of method as Hitler and Mussolini have displayed". This betrays the paper's similar enthusiasm for Fascist parties elsewhere in Europe, especially Adolf Hitler's burgeoning Nazi movement ("The sturdy young Nazis are Europe's guardians against the Communist danger"). As early as 24 September 1930, the paper's proprietor Harold Harmsworth, Lord Rothermere, wrote:

"These young Germans have discovered, as I am glad to note the young men and women of England are discovering, that it is no good trusting to the old politicians. Accordingly they have formed, as I would like to see our British youth form, a Parliamentary party of their own. [...] The older generation of Germans were our enemies. Must we make enemies of this younger generation too?"

On 10 July 1933, Rothermere continued:

"I urge all British young men and women to study closely the progress of the Nazi regime in Germany. They must not be misled by the misrepresentations of its opponents. The most spiteful distracters of the Nazis are to be found in precisely the same sections of the British public and press as are most vehement in their praises of the Soviet regime in Russia. They have started a clamorous campaign of denunciation against what they call "Nazi atrocities" which, as anyone who visits Germany quickly discovers for himself, consists merely of a few isolated acts of violence such as are inevitable among a nation half as big again as ours, but which have been generalized, multiplied and exaggerated to give the impression that Nazi rule is a bloodthirsty tyranny."

These effusive compliments did not go unnoticed. On 7 December 1933, Hitler himself wrote to Rothermere:

"I should like to express the appreciation of countless Germans, who regard me as their spokesman, for the wise and beneficial public support which you have given to a policy that we all hope will contribute to the enduring pacification of Europe. Just as we are fanatically determined to defend ourselves against attack, so do we reject the idea of taking the initiative in bringing about a war. I am convinced that no one who fought in the front trenches during the world war, no matter in what European country, desires another conflict."

The above citations, plus numerous similar articles that ran right through the 1930s, may explain why the Mail has been oddly and indeed uncharacteristically muted when it comes to championing its glorious past, especially at a time when its rivals are falling over themselves to produce "historic" reprints of memorable editions from decades earlier.

LINK

Edited by Hutch

I just hate it when there is not one single month that our players are not in the headlines for wrong reasons. This is draining the team's energy and giving extra work to AVB who is already under huge pressure. I hate the fact that JT even gave them a chance to start that whole episode. He is a senior player. I wish guys like JT and Cole would act their age and not carry guns in practice and hang out with pop-stars and so on.

This is just unbelievable to hear one of our own fans, wearing blue, is being racist against our own. That is just lame. So sad. Grow up people!!

There is so much negativity around the club with bad results and bad publicity. Hope the lads are using is as strength and wont get distracted by it. Pool game is just around the corner.

I sigh when I see such concocted bollocks, i.e Soccerway, Mail, et al... Sad really and an indictment/measure of inadequacy of the publishers and indeed their public (perceived or otherwise) when there's so much intelligent stuff to write about. nice uncovering Hutch nothing really has changed over the years, let's call their current face a smokescreen and perhaps they are the real racists.

I see from the article that Hutch posted,personal agenda's in the press seam to be nothing new.

It's a shame really,the press have such great power to do good,but they seam to waste it.

If they are happy to print b*llsh*t as a headline,why can't they be forced to print a retraction of the same size by law?,instead of the usual 2 inch column on page 30 like they do now?.

Just might make them think a little before going to print.

Nuff said.

Although I hope they identify the idiot if someone really shouted that. Ban him or something.

Listening to talksport while fiddling in the garage,(It's a hobby),Adrian Durham said the reason why the attendance at Wembly would be low is due to the John Terry/race issue.

Now, I've listened to a lot of radio broadcasts over the years,but that is by far, the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

Maybe its because of the twitter generation that the radio stations feel the need to be controversial,to 'engage' the listner,but in truth all they do is make themselves look a bunch of dicks & make joe public switch off.

Good post by the way.

I finally gave up with Talksport the other week when Durham said he's take Beckham instead of Lampard in the England squad. They are an embarrassment to football journalism...a field which really doesn't need much help to be embarrassing.

I finally gave up with Talksport the other week when Durham said he's take Beckham instead of Lampard in the England squad. They are an embarrassment to football journalism...a field which really doesn't need much help to be embarrassing.

And the knob today said that the England attendance was low because of John Terry.

Edited by Peckham Blue

Durham is just a wind up merchant, not a fan or an expert on footballing matters, his job is to be controversial even when there is no controversy.

He is the weakest link of a sh*te organisation who never fails to put a negative spin on anything Chelsea.

The briefest exposure to his whinging self righteous prattle is enough to get me thinking of guns and walls!