Time to Cech out?

CFCCAN

So I thought I would throw this out there..given his howler (by his own admission) against Wigan. Has Cech got the bottle anymore when it comes to getting down and dirty in the box? We know he is a world class goalkeeper and has made some extraordinary saves over the years to keep us in games, but since his injury nearly two years ago I don't think he is the same goalkeeper, especially when it comes to a crowded box. Yes he still makes great looking saves from long rang efforts. He seems anxious during corners, free kicks and when the six yard box gets crowded he seems at sixes and sevens. How many close range headers has he let in lately where he has gone backwards instead of commanding the area? He seems to be trying to punch the ball more and for the most part gets it all wrong. I mean look at the state of him..broken head, broken nose...no wonder he is hurting and probably anxious when things get rough and ready. Yes I know there are 10 other players on the pitch before the ball gets to him, but where is our next world class goalkeeper coming from? I doubt from our current squad. Anyone else got concerns over Cech's recent performances.

My only concern is that their is no other goalkeeper at the club capable of keeping him on his toes!

I wrote this in my player ratings for the Wigan game, he knows he's playing week in week out! Now I have no reason to think he's nothing but a model pro, but it must take the edge off slightly if you know you're playing regardless of any mistakes you might make, is it a surprise his performances have dipped since Cudicini left? That might be the better question!

EDIT: BTW I'd still choose him over 95% of the other keepers in the prem!

Edited by shedpensioner

He is still an awesome keeper - people are so quick to say he's not the same player when he makes a gaff.

If it was the odd gaff here and there then I would agree with you but the mistakes are dotted about all over the place over the past few seasons and that is why he is NOT the same player he was. It's not as if the Wigan game (which has cost us points) is his first and only mistake of the season. And as ShedPensioner rightly says, it's worrying that he can continue to make mistakes without any real chance of being dropped as the coaching team clearly don't rate our back-ups very highly.

Cech is still a very capable keeper, don't get me wrong, but no point burying our heads in the sand and making out he's still the same keeper he was pre injuries, 'cos he clearly isn't and I would say there are now a fair number of keepers in the PL who are better than him, which certainly wasn't the case a few seasons ago.

He has kept us in games quite recently with stacks of big saves, most of which are taken for granted.

The goal we conceded was every bit as bad defending as it was goal keeping, two of our guys got in his way and he couldn't see it properly.

For me he is still one of the best keepers in the league

Edited by Zola

Theres more people in bloom now; Hart for example, he looks like a young Cech. Quality is throughout.

Even Vorm at Swansea, looks like a super keeper, Crul at Newcastle, awesome as well.

Then theres the old timers like Friedel who just keep plugging away, another great

Could be worse, we could have that goat De Gea.

What a MELON

Edited by Zola

As I stated...he is a world class keeper..but since the head injury and the recent broken nose he just seems apprehensive and I get worried lately when we are faced with corners and free kicks, he just seems to take a step backwards into the net rather than be that commanding keeper of a few seasons ago. As Nibs says, he used to be the best but now he is one of the best. And I agree, there does not seem to be another keeper on the immediate horizon despite Turnbull and Hilarious being competent they are hardly world class.

Edited by CFCCAN

Let's see how Courtois develops - he's had his flaky games, as one would expect from a 20-year-old, but by all accounts he's been pretty good for Atletico Madrid this year. It could be we've already signed our next world-class keeper.

Last season I thought he was below his best but as far as I'm aware that's his first mistake this season, in fact we've seen on this website people saying that it's good to have him back to his best.

When players make a host of mistakes we should start talking about them being on their way out, at the moment I'd still pick Cech ahead of anyone else out there.

Last season I thought he was below his best but as far as I'm aware that's his first mistake this season, in fact we've seen on this website people saying that it's good to have him back to his best.

When players make a host of mistakes we should start talking about them being on their way out, at the moment I'd still pick Cech ahead of anyone else out there.

The five we conceded against Arsenal? No real mistakes as such but a the Cech of old would have kept a few of those out.

And the 2-1 defeat in the CL game where he seemed to take his hand away for one of the goals?

His shot stopping is as good as it ever was, if not actually better. His decision making isnt though, and his bravery with certain situations has lessened, understandably so to be honest. I still think he is an outstanding keeper, just not quite as brilliant all round as he was. Though this is all subjective, he is still as good as any other keeper in the prem.

Cech isn't as unbeatable as he once was, but he's still very good. After a recent broken nose -- and obviously the far more serious head injury previously -- he's probably a little more timid in traffic than he used to be. And rightly so. I think we'd all react the same way. I won't fault him for that.

The only thing I think we can fairly question so far this season is his distribution. He seems to have a fascination with giving the ball to Romeu or a CB when they're under pressure from an opposing player. I don't get it. I'm all for keeping possession instead of just booting the ball downfield and giving it away, but at least be smart about where you sending it.

Cech isn't as unbeatable as he once was, but he's still very good. After a recent broken nose -- and obviously the far more serious head injury previously -- he's probably a little more timid in traffic than he used to be. And rightly so. I think we'd all react the same way. I won't fault him for that.

The only thing I think we can fairly question so far this season is his distribution. He seems to have a fascination with giving the ball to Romeu or a CB when they're under pressure from an opposing player. I don't get it. I'm all for keeping possession instead of just booting the ball downfield and giving it away, but at least be smart about where you sending it.

Taking up on your observations about being more timid. Cech is a professional and this is a professional sports franchise, so do you want the best in goal or someone that is timid and may be reluctant to get involved in certain situations because that might cause a slight hestitation enough that the ball ends up in the back of the net when prior to his injury he would have not thought twice about the situation. This sport has now become about money, its a business more so than a game. Points lost because of poor goalkeeping errors could cost millions down the road...this is not say that Cech has necessarily cost us points this year, as this is a team game, sloppy defenders and sloppy attackers can be the cause also but you need to ensure that your players are 100% fit. I think his recent hesitations to come and get the ball in a couple of games this year have cost us valuable points, whereas a couple of seasons ago I wouldn't even be talking about Cech, as he would be the last of our worries, and yes he has made so bad decisions in his distribution which has put the defenders under needless pressure..

I have a feeling that these suspect distributions are AVB's doing. Its part of the possession game isn't it? Valdes rarely lobs the ball upfield. They start from the back whenever possible. Cech is fine. He's had a dodgy game and he'll get over it. I don't really count Arsenal because the entire game plan just fell to pieces from front to back.

Errors made by goalkeepers are always subject to a lot more scrutiny because of the inevitable repercussions of them. Without going back and analysing the performances of each of the other keepers deemed to be in the top 5 or 6 in the world I would be willing to wager that the number of clangers made by Cech is no more or less than any of them (over an extended period).

I would agree that he is not as good as he was when he was at his very best under Mourinho however you also have to factor in that we have never had as good a defence as we did under Mourinho.

If people think we should be looking to replace Cech then they have to also consider who we should replace him with who would be both better and available. I don't think we would get anyone who would meet the first criteria.

I have no problem with Cech as our keeper and hope he remains it for many more years.

His injury was in 2006, not two years ago. He is still a class act, last year he was in supreme form. Every player hits rough patches

28th April 2008...and yes he still is a class act, no one is saying any different, just wondering if his injury and recent injuries are affecting his performance and who if anybody currently on the roster can be considered a world class replacement.

No, Petr Cech is a world-class keeper and the odd error (and who doesn't commit those?) certainly shouldn't eclipse years of saving our arses with his excellent keeping. Hopefully the introduction and rise of Courtois will keep him on his toes but Cech is one of my very favourite Chelsea players in this squad and I would like him to be here for years as long as he keeps his form up.

28th April 2008...and yes he still is a class act, no one is saying any different, just wondering if his injury and recent injuries are affecting his performance and who if anybody currently on the roster can be considered a world class replacement.

14th October 2006 it happened, 28th April 2008 is the date somebody uploaded video footage of the incident to youtube

14th October 2006 it happened, 28th April 2008 is the date somebody uploaded video footage of the incident to youtube

Was just about to say the same thing. Clearly not 2008 as Jose was the manager at the time and rightfully lost the plot about the whole thing