Hazard Unfairly Targeted By Refs ?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think it's getting ridiculous now, it's nearly every game he is fouled in the area and the refs refuse to give penalties. The treatment he is getting is wrong and i am getting fed up with it. He can't help being better than the defense he is against. He's not Bale, he's not Suarez, he doesn't cheat. I honestly think there are 3 reasons why he doesn't get penalties. 1 - He is foreign 2 - He is a skillful player and 3 - He picked up loads of pens for Lille. I don't care if he has had 100 penalties in the past, if he is fouled he is fouled, just give the damn penalty. And we wonder why players go down easy, if the refs would give a fair decision for once maybe they wouldn't go down easily.

Since Hazard got penalties in the first 2 games it's like the refs have looked at it and said as a group "we need to be careful with him, he could be one of these players that goes down easily" :rolleyes: Does he need to be English to win a penalty ? or maybe he should play for United, he would get a penalty a game with them.

The thing that is annoying me is the opposition fans thinking because he doesn't get pens he is now a diver, and with them thinking that it makes the refs job easy not to give a penalty.

I think it's getting ridiculous now, it's nearly every game he is fouled in the area and the refs refuse to give penalties. The treatment he is getting is wrong and i am getting fed up with it. He can't help being better than the defense he is against. He's not Bale, he's not Suarez, he doesn't cheat. I honestly think there are 3 reasons why he doesn't get penalties. 1 - He is foreign 2 - He is a skillful player and 3 - He picked up loads of pens for Lille. I don't care if he has had 100 penalties in the past, if he is fouled he is fouled, just give the damn penalty. And we wonder why players go down easy, if the refs would give a fair decision for once maybe they wouldn't go down easily.

Since Hazard got penalties in the first 2 games it's like the refs have looked at it and said as a group "we need to be careful with him, he could be one of these players that goes down easily" :rolleyes: Does he need to be English to win a penalty ? or maybe he should play for United, he would get a penalty a game with them.

The thing that is annoying me is the opposition fans thinking because he doesn't get pens he is now a diver, and with them thinking that it makes the refs job easy not to give a penalty.

I wouldn't say it's just Hazard, either. For the last few games we've had obvious penalties turned down and it's becoming an unfortunate trend. Eventually we're going to have a game like Barcelona Semi 2009.

Edited by omnidroid70

I wouldn't say it's just Hazard, either. For the last few games we've had obvious penalties turned down and it's becoming an unfortunate trend.

Moses the other day should have had one, not sure who it was against now, but it was clear as day. He's not even getting 1, so obviously the refs think he is a diver.

Moses the other day should have had one, not sure who it was against now, but it was clear as day. He's not even getting 1, so obviously the refs think he is a diver.

Yeah, quite a lot of decisions didn't go his way today that should have done. Another good is example is Hazard against Man City. What the hell were they doing to him? Toure and Kompany pretty much just kicked at his legs until he lost the ball. Until the refs start giving the decisions correctly (reputation or not, which Hazard doesn't have) it will continue to happen unfortunately.

Thing is,if refs want to stamp out diving,then giving yellow cards to those that do must be balanced out by giving penalties to those that don't.

Players who choose to 'stay on their feet' when fouled,should be rewarded also.

If players feel that staying upright when fouled won't result in a pen,then why would they stop diving?,after all,3 points,a cup win & their managers job may depend on it.

This current situation is why it's long overdue, in my opinion, that refs are encouraged to speak more after games to give fans their view of events & hopefully be engaged enough to listen to the views of the players & managers.

This may lead to a better situation than present I feel.

The referees' decisions have definitely been balanced against us lately. I'm not sure that there's a bias against us though, more likely it's a result of too many referees being sub-standard, and since the referees and the FA look after their own, there's f**k all anybody can do about it. Criticise a referee? Hope you enjoy sitting in the stands.

Look at the referee's performance in the Arsenal-West Brom game yesterday for example, it's not quite as bad as Clattenburg's in the Utd game against us, but if I was a West Brom fan I'd be feeling similarly frustrated right now.

It doesn't matter if he'd lost control of the ball or not, he was tackled unfairly inside the penalty box.

Otherwise, anyone could just kick anyone else anywhere on the pitch, and, if the ball wan't totally under control, there would be no foul.

FFS, terry got sent off at Barca when the ball wasn't even in the same post-code.

It's very simple.  Hazard doesn't dive.  He gives no remote semblance of a dive.  He stays on his feet most of the time because he is a tough little cookie.  The ref's want to stamp out diving (by far the worst thing about football,) yet they don't reward the players who don't dive.  They reward the diver half the time.

It doesn't matter if he'd lost control of the ball or not, he was tackled unfairly inside the penalty box.

Otherwise, anyone could just kick anyone else anywhere on the pitch, and, if the ball wan't totally under control, there would be no foul.

FFS, terry got sent off at Barca when the ball wasn't even in the same post-code.

I realise thats the rules, but a lot of the time you see a player go down after hes taken a heavy touch (torres) and even if he is fouled, normally the ref won't blow the whistle because more often than not its because the player has realized hes lost the ball and goes down under any touch, hence why i've seen a lot of fouls not given in the box.

Hazard is the closest thing to Messi in terms of balance. I don't think either of them dive. Weird thing is Messi doesn't dive and he is the best player on the planet and still most of his team mates dive like there was no tomorrow.

Lot of our players dive as well. Torres and Ivanovic come to mind.

I don't think Hazard have suffered too much from referee's. The ones we've got have been blatant pens, some have been 50/50 but in general I haven't seen too much injustice. That happens and is part of the game.

Thank you , made my day. <3

Hazard is the closest thing to Messi in terms of balance. I don't think either of them dive. Weird thing is Messi doesn't dive and he is the best player on the planet and still most of his team mates dive like there was no tomorrow.

Lot of our players dive as well. Torres and Ivanovic come to mind.

I don't think Hazard have suffered too much from referee's. The ones we've got have been blatant pens, some have been 50/50 but in general I haven't seen too much injustice. That happens and is part of the game.

I'm sure del hormo and mourinho might disagree somewhat about messi diving

Really well said Alan. 

Two main points: 

1) Referees make mistakes but they are not accountable for improvement nor are there any pathways to help them improve
2) There is no incentive for players to play fair. Negative reinforcement (punishing diving) is not always as efficient as positive reinforcement.

Just this weekend we saw both Hazard and Tevez denied clear penalties because they stayed on their feet. It's not cricket- there is no onus on the player to "appeal" for the foul. 

What incentive is there for a player to remain on his feet when Gareth Bale and Suarez get more success from diving or Scholes goes unpunished for 20 years of poor tackling?

Hazard's biggest "problem" is that he's small, short, strong, stocky and has an extremely low centre of gravity making him very hard to knock over or push off the ball. If he falls over it will look like a very obvious dive, but he's too strong for a player to simply manhandle down. In contrast, if that were Mata or Oscar they probably would've been pulled back more obviously by Bardsley simply because they are weaker.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

Hardly, Ronaldinho destroyed us for 90 minutes and Robben did f**k all. Not one of our best performances or Jose's finest moments, we were completely outplayed by Barcelona at home and Mourinho's only response was to try and throw every attacker we had on the pitch and hope for the best.