How long can we keep Juan Mata before a Barca or R.Madrid approach him?

enigma

Lets be honest, he's pretty much our most influential player at the moment. But realistically, how long can we keep him at the club before huge teams like Real and Barca come in to get him? 

It's inevitable that these teams will be watching his progress at Chelsea and, if he carries on performing like he is, it's going to be impossible for Chelsea to avoid the interest from these other massive clubs. 

Thoughts?? 

Don't think we have to worry, can see him staying here until his late 30s just like Lampard and become a club legend - he has even said it himself a few times hasnt he?

He's won the CL, FA cup here already and im pretty sure he's looking forward to win the PL with us here.

I would worry more about Hazard if he hits some kind of world beater form in the next few years which he has the potential to.

Don't think we have to worry, can see him staying here until his late 30s just like Lampard and become a club legend - he has even said it himself a few times hasnt he?

He's won the CL, FA cup here already and im pretty sure he's looking forward to win the PL with us here.

I would worry more about Hazard if he hits some kind of world beater form in the next few years which he has the potential to.

Players from abroad don't seem to be able to stay at one club. I do get the feeling mata may be different but I wouldn't put money on it. I give it a year or 2 before barca and madrid come calling and then we will find out!

Don't think we have to worry, can see him staying here until his late 30s just like Lampard and become a club legend - he has even said it himself a few times hasnt he?He's won the CL, FA cup here already and im pretty sure he's looking forward to win the PL with us here.I would worry more about Hazard if he hits some kind of world beater form in the next few years which he has the potential to.
Isn't there a theory that winning 'everything' makes it easier for some players/managers to leave in search of the next challenge, I believe drogba did say if he didn't win the CL he would almost definitely have stayed for one last go, with most foreign players there's always that risk but perhaps unlike fabregas; Mata and say Silva have already done their time at their boyhood club Valencia who probably can't afford to lure them back apart from perhaps a retirement dealie a la Zola?

A big part of it will be how much the player loves the city almost as much as the club or winning trophies, if their families settle you could be looking at a Zola type or Arteta type who love the English life as much as the English game as opposed to a crespo or Reyes type who you feel regardless of pay or prizes would always want to return 'home'

I don't see Mata having any real affinity for the big 2 la liga boys, as far as Spanish ambitions go he'll want to crack the national side long term which he can do winning with us, from everything I've seen, read and heard from him he looks like a stayer

Barca don't need him and it will be a cold day before his father allows him to go to Real- the Mata family were less than impressed by their son's treatment which is why he defected to Valencia so easily.

Barca also didn't need fabregas, sanchez etc. They just seem to buy the latest most talked about players.

I'm not worried, we're not Arsenal. We are not in the habit of losing our best players

That's the crux, we don't tend to lose our best players (at their peak), the examples of Drogba, Terry & Lampard are good examples. They were all world beaters at their prime and would have had a cue of clubs sniffing around, but none left for supposed 'better or bigger' clubs.

We have become one of THE top European sides, and players don't leave us on a regular basis, as 99% of the time it's only down from here.

While I think we'll be ok with him so long as we continue to qualify for the Champions League and generally be competitive, I wouldn't be as confident as some that he'd definitely stay.

In his short time at the club he has already played under 3 different managers, and come the start of next season, it will be 4 (hopefully). Now I don't know how he feels about it, I'm merely speculating, but I wouldn't blame him if he got sick of everything that goes on here and moves on, even if it isn't to Barca or Madrid.

Like I said already though, I don't think we have much cause for concern.

I'm not worried, we're not Arsenal. We are not in the habit of losing our best players

I agree with that, but as we have seen in the past, those clubs in spain just grab a players nipple and keep on twisting.

Mata is thankfully a model professional and a guy who looks like the absolute definition of a talisman every week at the tender age of 24. If for some reason he wants to go back to the club of his youth after years of great service here, he's too nice a guy not to do things the right way, and eventually deserve what he wants. Thats if he wants

This question may look very different in a few years, though. I'm sure Mata is most attached to Valencia, and I doubt they could afford him anytime soon. But with the financial forecast in Spanish football, even Madrid and Barca may not be in a position to make huge deals in the coming years.

This question may look very different in a few years, though. I'm sure Mata is most attached to Valencia, and I doubt they could afford him anytime soon. But with the financial forecast in Spanish football, even Madrid and Barca may not be in a position to make huge deals in the coming years.

Oviedo would be more attractive for him I think, when he reaches his twilight years.

The fact that he cannot even see the pitch for Spain's NT should be enough to remind him to stay in London. From what I read on his blog, he enjoys London and Chelsea. And lets not take away the Lampard factor either. If I am Mata who is already being compared to a certain other foreign legend at the club, I would be settling in. He is extremely bright and I am sure him and others are taking notice how Frank gets treated from the supporters. I think Mata and Oscar will be lifelong Blues. I can't say the same for Hazard though. Amazing talent but I think he will want to test that skill in Spain at some point. Hope they all stay, including Lampard...

Keeping Mata could be a problem if we don't succeed in making the Champions League consistently. Under such circumstances a top European club might offer him a contract. We must do all in our power to hold on to him. It's apparent he loves our club and plays with a passion. He appears to be more commited than Hazard.

Hopefully Mata will end up a Chelsea Legend!

I'm not worried one bit, i consider Chelsea to be a huge club now and it's very rare you see a Chelsea player leave and go on to do better things.

Real Madrid had their chance with Mata but they made the mistake with releasing him when he was young.

I don't think Mata fits into Barcelona's style, Mata would much rather get on with things over holding onto the ball for 5 minutes before taking a shot on goal.

Mata said he want's to be like Terry and Lampard, so i don't think he is going anywhere for a long time. He knows he is loved by us fans and i doubt he will get this kind of support at those 2 Spanish clubs.

We shouldn't be thinking about when we are going to lose our top players, what's the point in bringing them in if all we are going to worry about is when they will leave ?

Archived