Cheer up Bran!

PloKoon13

I like Ivanovic a lot and it made me very sad to see him earlier looking so upset. In light of that, and as we really could do with something light-hearted after that horror show, here are some pictures of him looking a bit happier (or at least less serious):

176520hp2.jpg

largestBranislavIvanovic2012_chelsea.jpg

branislav-ivanovic-image-2-447919278.jpg

Branislav+Ivanovic+Chelsea+Training+Sess

Cheer up Bran, I'm sure you'll be back to your best next week!

He shares Franks distaste for a certain former Arsenal captain...

2012-634715626057590461-759.jpg

He'll always be Branislav 'two goal' Ivanovic to me, it's amazing to think that before that night on Merseyside the club had countenanced the idea of selling him. Thanks big Phil...

There was a moment at the Railways Cup tournament last summer in Moscow that said everything about the relative anonymity of Branislav Ivanovic.

The assembled journalists were awaiting a 'top table' of players and manager to preview the competition and, alongside AC Milan's Carlo Ancelotti and Paulo Maldini, were nametags for the Chelsea representatives of Luiz-Felipe Scolari and Andrei Shevchenko.

However, news soon filtered through that Shevchenko had dropped out and Ivanovic would fill in. A collective groan echoed around the conference room.

It is a fair bet that the journalists at Anfield on Wednesday night were rather more keen to speak to the forgotten man of Chelsea FC.

Indeed, from a match that contained such luminaries of world football as Frank Lampard, Fernando Torres, Steven Gerrard, John Terry and Didier Drogba, it was difficult to conceive a more unlikely hero.

Ivanovic, though, is suddenly at the forefront of everyone's mind, not least Rafael Benitez, whose famed tactical nous did not appear to extend to stressing the importance of Liverpool players picking up the Serbian international from set-pieces.

Much had been expected of Ivanovic when he joined Chelsea in January from Lokomotiv Moscow for almost £10 million - then the most expensive transfer in Russian football history.

He arrived with the reputation of one of the best and most versatile defenders in the emerging Russian league and there was a hope that he would fill the problem position of right-back and also provide cover for John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho at centre-back.

Avram Grant, however, was clearly unconvinced and he did not make a first-team appearance last seson. In the 2008 Champions League final, Grant even preferred to use a midfielder in Michael Essien at right-back; a decision that Cristiano Ronaldo punished for Manchester United's first goal.

AC Milan were interested during the summer but Scolari insisted that Ivanovic remained in his plans.

More than eight months after becoming a Chelsea player, Ivanovic finally started his first senior game for the club against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup on Sept 24, 2008. He then made his league debut against Aston Villa, though only played nine times under Scolari.

Amid interest from Fiorentina, Ivanovic can now hope to really kick-start his Chelsea career under Guus Hiddink, who knows him well from his time playing at Lokomotiv.

His two goals against Liverpool will also not come as such a surprise to Hiddink and other followers of his career. At present he is also the top scorer for Serbia in their World Cup qualifying group.

branislav_ivanovic_1381905c.jpg

0,,10268~10838939,00.jpg

539255_4511374068601_664848515_n.jpg

Genuinely don't care about the mistakes, whole team was bad and lethargic but what impressed me most was his attitude, after the first goal tried to make amends and had our best effort at goal and the anguish on his face after the 2nd was enough for me to see he is one of few with character and passion that we have.

Anfield 09 and Napoli 12. Monster of a player.

Ivanovic is a great player i truly believe that, but this isn't the first time he has made mistakes this season. Yes he scores but we all know that overall he is probably having his poorest season defensively for us.

I'm glad he shows passion for the club but i feel sorry for us fans more than him, we are the ones that are suffering the most right now. If we had any kind of concentration in this team then maybe things like tonight wouldn't be happening.

He'll always be Branislav 'two goal' Ivanovic to me, it's amazing to think that before that night on Merseyside the club had countenanced the idea of selling him. Thanks big Phil...

That night was my tipping point too.

Something about how the Dippers had always had a CL hex over us for years. And then in steps this youngish defender on the fringe of the squad who single handedly destroyed vanquished them for us. I was so over the moon I told my roommate and a few friends to meet at the bar because that night drinks were on me.

The tie wasnt over of course, but there was something special about that night.

After the game yesterday I was considerably more sorry for Ivanovic than I was about us losing the match (the blow is lessened by knowing it's another nail in the Interim's coffin).

The timing couldn't have been worse for him either, with JT nearing his comeback somebody is going to have to make way, and that person could well be Brana.

Every player has off days. He chose a very bad time to have his, but we'll make good in the return fixture. He's been otherwise very consistent this season. All is forgiven Branana.

Actually no he hasn't. Ivanovic is probably having his worst season at Chelsea so far. He may have the goals but at times he has been very poor defensively.

Archived