The title race next season - who's in the mix?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Does everyone just assume the title race is between United and City every season?

Mancini saying they'll win it back next season.

I realise we have to get this season sorted first but who's to say we can't mount a challenge next season? Especially if we get Jose back.

With Benitez gone and a competent manager in place (preferably Jose) we should be able to mount a solid title challenge next season, even with the players we have (I'm assuming Lukaku will have a role to play next season). We could have done it this season if the board hadn't lost the plot half way through.

It'll be closer next year, with more genuine contenders. I hope Spurs will be in the mix next season and expect Chelsea to be. In terms of next year's top four, even Liverpool may be contending (they can't under-perform for ever and, IF Suarez stays, Rodgers can maintain the upward trend).

It's been an "also ran" season for teams like City, etc. The real question, imo, is why are Man U walking away with it?

It'll be closer next year, with more genuine contenders. I hope Spurs will be in the mix next season and expect Chelsea to be. In terms of next year's top four, even Liverpool may be contending (they can't under-perform for ever and, IF Suarez stays, Rodgers can maintain the upward trend).

It's been an "also ran" season for teams like City, etc. The real question, imo, is why are Man U walking away with it?

They got some lucky goals at opportune times, like the header goal by van Persie late in injury time against Southampton early in the season, and the help from Clattenburg against us.  The goal by van Persie in injury time against Citeh was a biggie as well, and made the race for the title virtually hopeless for anyone but United.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2305129/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-says-Jose-Mourinho-biggest-threat-Manchester-United.html

Ferguson thinks we'll be the challenge next year with a decent manager... and we should be. United have made fewer mistakes than everyone else this year, and that's a lot down to Ferguson and what he's done with them over the years. They are not a team that can beat anyone, but they are the team that needs to be beat. With proper competition next year I think they will be in for a struggle. If Chelsea, City, Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal all pull it together better over the summer there's going be a lot of tough matches for everyone next season. And the rest of the league is improving too, whoever challenges next year is not going to be in for an easy run like this year at all if you ask me!

I'm sure none of us do, I think our team is already stronger than United's and all we need is a better manager, although I think City still have by quite some way the best rounded team in the league.

A manager, a 30 goal a season striker and a top class midfield replacement for Frank at the end of the season, and I think we will win.

They 'look' average. Agreed. The league table shows something different: 71 goals for and only 33 against (joint second tightest defence, with Chelsea). 71 goals (14 more than City) shows the Van Persie effect, together with their other scorers; one v good player can make a great difference.

So, are Man U that much better, or have the chasing teams misfired? Spurs are where we didn't expect to be, tbh, and things haven't clicked for the 'big' clubs, or are going well too late to make a difference. I hope we can get our collective acts together for next season...

Edited by Thfc

I honestly think if we had kept Robbie we would be 2nd now and not that far off United.

Yes i do think we will challenge next year if we get Jose.

Our downfall this season is all because the board made Rafa manager and as we can all see he is a crap manager.

Liverpool fans want him back. I say please take him now so he can drag your scummy club even more into the gutter.

#RafaOut get the liverpool out of our Chelsea!

Mata keeps getting better, Hazard and Oscar will have had a season under their belts and will keep getting better. With a decent manager and a tweek or two to our squad we will be right in there challenging. Manure are no better than us now(look at our games against them this season) just been more consistent due to Fergie. 

If Jose came in and galvanized the squad/club/fans added a new face or two and got everyone pulling in the right direction i think we will be the team to beat. 

We could be title challengers next season but I think having a shallow squad has cost us dearly in the current season. We need to make some more quality signings in the Summer and use our loan players such as KDB and Lukaku. Add a decent manager (hopefully Jose) to the mix and I reckon we'd be title contenders. 

If the Spuds lose Bale they'll flounder around in the Europa/mid table. Arsenal are all talk and won't spend their annual supposed funds.

If we can get a decent boss (Come home Jose!) a potent confident forward and a decent defensive CM then we'll be up there with City. Like everyone else I'm amused how a very average Man Ure have walked it this season.

I think no matter what happens, it's fairly safe to assume that Liverpool will flounder around 6th spot again and BR the lyrical genius will spin tales of how the team are coming together nicely and that next season will finally be their year.