Players Leaving - possible parting shots?

mad_mac
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Not sure if there is a thread about this elsewhere, but other than the Ross Turnbull thread, I couldn't see one.

Seemingly the PFA have already released a list of footballers that will be leaving Chelsea.  I think the one that most of us are happy about is the departure of Benayoun.  

Then both Turnbull and Hilario are gone, which is leading to more speculation about a possible return of Courtois; although he himself tweeted earlier today that he is looking for being part of more fun with Athletico next year.

Still not sure about Paulo, but it does look as if he is as good as gone, with many of us hoping that he stays on at the club in some regard.

Finally, and I personally think this one bodes well for the most press coverage, is Florent Malouda.  I never had anything bad to say about the guy, but I can't help but feel despite all the support he was getting from the CFC Family these past few weeks wishing him well wherever he goes, that we'll have some form of expose about his final years at the club.  What really went on that meant he trained with the Youth Team this entire year?  I think the press will have their knives out already waiting for anything that he says as a rod with which to beat the club with.

Please confirm as we hear anything.

Strange that Turnbull has gone as he was only ever here to fulfill the amount of English players we need for the UCL.

By that logic, we will be signing at least 1 English player this year, or Chalobah will be a part of the team. 

I just hope Courtois doesn't come back for next season, that doesn't help anyone.

As for Malouda, I feel pretty sorry for the guy, has been treated appallingly by the board. He was easily one of our best players in our double winning year.

And finally Benayoun. Good riddance. 

Strange that Turnbull has gone as he was only ever here to fulfill the amount of English players we need for the UCL.

By that logic, we will be signing at least 1 English player this year, or Chalobah will be a part of the team. 

I just hope Courtois doesn't come back for next season, that doesn't help anyone.

As for Malouda, I feel pretty sorry for the guy, has been treated appallingly by the board. He was easily one of our best players in our double winning year.

And finally Benayoun. Good riddance. 

Nothing was stopping him from leaving last season, i am sure there were plenty of clubs that wanted to take him. I am sure his wage played a massive part in him not leaving.

Guest RFC_CFC

I'll never feel sorry for Malouda.

He has sat on his arse earning 80 odd grand a week, boo bloody hoo.

I'm sure I read last year Malouda refused to leave because it meant a pay cut, of course 50k a week is totally unacceptable opposed to 80k. It's not like it takes me 2.5 years to earn that! Not fussed, quite glad he's gone and off the wage budget. As for Yossi, thank f**k

I'm sure I read last year Malouda refused to leave because it meant a pay cut, of course 50k a week is totally unacceptable opposed to 80k. It's not like it takes me 2.5 years to earn that! Not fussed, quite glad he's gone and off the wage budget. As for Yossi, thank f**k

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a money issue.

That said, I can't be critical of him - he had the contract agreed upon, and the onus shouldn't have been on him to take a substantially lower salary for the year.  The club could have worked out a deal with another team, and paid the difference in his salary for a year - saving the club money, and allowing him to move somewhere he wasn't gong to be a youth team player.

With regards to the money, I'm sure I make a rock star's salary, being able to pay rent, and feed myself 3 times a day, according to some poor bleeder making a few dollars a day to make ipods for us.  I'm sure that footballers just have an altered sense of reality.  It's all relative.

So fair enough, the club failed to offload Malouda last summer. I don't understand however why this meant they had to freeze him out. He's still our player and we're still forking out his 80k a week in wages, if anything he would've been a better option coming off the bench in the final 10 minutes than Benayoun!

So fair enough, the club failed to offload Malouda last summer. I don't understand however why this meant they had to freeze him out. He's still our player and we're still forking out his 80k a week in wages, if anything he would've been a better option coming off the bench in the final 10 minutes than Benayoun!

Apparently he criticised RDM and his training methods, was given the opportunity to apologise but declined.

He had options to leave but wanted to see out the final year of his 80k a week contract, he was told to train with the youth team by the board and informed he would have no involvement with the first team at any stage during the season.

He chose to ride it out and pick up the wages I assume no one else was willing to offer him. 

I agree with the board. He was only after the money. He had chances to leave last summer and in January, chances to go back to France or go to Brazil. Because they wouldnt match what he was on at Chelsea he stayed and picked up his wages for doing nothing.

I actually agree with the board by trying to force him out. Yes it is the boards fault for giving him the contract but if the player wants to mess about then stick him with the kids for the season.

I can see Torres doing the same thing to be honest.

Yeah paying a guy 80k a week for doing nothing and telling him he is free to leave.

Shameful! 

Forcing him to train with the kids because he didn't want to go to Santos (or wherever he was linked with) because he had to take a massive paycut? A contract works two ways and if the board - or whoever decided to do this - felt this way, they've only got themselves to blame for doing the contract in the first place, it's not something you can go back on. Once he was intent on staying to see it out, we could've used him as part of the squad (would've been an upgrade on Benayoun or Marin, that's for sure) or at the very least, offer him out on loan to any interested party.

But say the board did say to him he will not be part of the squad and then backed down, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the squad? Its about time that the board started standing up to the players.

Look at the whole AVB thing for starters.

Forcing him to train with the kids because he didn't want to go to Santos (or wherever he was linked with) because he had to take a massive paycut? A contract works two ways and if the board - or whoever decided to do this - felt this way, they've only got themselves to blame for doing the contract in the first place, it's not something you can go back on. Once he was intent on staying to see it out, we could've used him as part of the squad (would've been an upgrade on Benayoun or Marin, that's for sure) or at the very least, offer him out on loan to any interested party.

But the club did honour the contract, they just said that if he wanted to stay despite offers from elsewhere he would have to train with the youth team as they did not want him near the first team following criticism to his then manager. 

Which you can understand. The board did it with Anelka and Alex the season before, they both just had the sense to realise their time was up and left as soon as possible.

By Malouda staying it just goes to show what kind of person he is. If he was interested in playing football he would have taken a pay cut and joined another team.

Which you can understand. The board did it with Anelka and Alex the season before, they both just had the sense to realise their time was up and left as soon as possible.

By Malouda staying it just goes to show what kind of person he is. If he was interested in playing football he would have taken a pay cut and joined another team.

To be fair, Anelka went to China on a £200k a contract and Alex signed for cash rich PSG.

Malouda is a bit pants now days so no one with any money wanted him.