Transfers that almost happened for Chelsea..

cfc88

So I was doing some reading on transfers that could have been, which led to me revisting whole Gerrard to Chelsea saga from 7-8 years ago and I came across a comment by an older Chelsea fan. Here it is -

'Jan Molby was quite close to signing for Barcelona. The move collapsed very late in the negotations. In 1978 Chelsea apparently was very close to signing Johan Cruyff. We ended up with Duncan McKenzie in stead. He lasted 15 games, before being transfered to Blackburn – then in the 3rd Division.'

Can any older Chelsea fans on here comment on this or is it nonsense?

Also, general thread on players you were excited who were linked/close to coming to Chelsea but never happened.

Pirlo - He can't be that good or it wouldn't have taken till he was 104 before anyone noticed that he's a decent player!

We were very very close to signing a young 17 year old Dutch attacker some time ago, I think the manager at the time got sacked and the new man decided he didn't want him but I'll check the details and let you know.  Anyway, we did eventually complete the signing but it was nearly 20 years later.  That man was Ruud Gullit.  Far and away the greatest footballer I've ever seen.

Pirlo - He can't be that good or it wouldn't have taken till he was 104 before anyone noticed that he's a decent player!

We were very very close to signing a young 17 year old Dutch attacker some time ago, I think the manager at the time got sacked and the new man decided he didn't want him but I'll check the details and let you know.  Anyway, we did eventually complete the signing but it was nearly 20 years later.  That man was Ruud Gullit.  Far and away the greatest footballer I've ever seen.

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic here, I'm sure you are but if not then you're an idiot.

I sincerely hope you're being sarcastic here, I'm sure you are but if not then you're an idiot.

I actually think he's overrated.  I think he's very good but not as good as people make out, and I do believe a lot of that is because he's getting on.  What he has done better than almost any other player is adapted his game to suit his age and reducing mobility.

I apologise now for you having to read the ramblings of an idiot!

Pirlo is brilliant, little doubt, but it's strange how highly people on here rate him compared to, say, Xavi who's the very best midfielder of his generation (IMO) and perhaps the best give-and-go midfielder of all time.

I think Iniesta is better than Xavi personally, but they are obviously both exceptional. I think Pirlo is below both in terms of ability, but he is for sure a great player to watch, he has so much class.

In 1978 Chelsea apparently was very close to signing Johan Cruyff. We ended up with Duncan McKenzie in stead.

Can any older Chelsea fans on here comment on this or is it nonsense?

It could be, as he pretty much retired that year when his contract at Barcelona expired, then the American dollars brought him out of retirement the year after. 

I think Iniesta is better than Xavi personally, but they are obviously both exceptional. I think Pirlo is below both in terms of ability, but he is for sure a great player to watch, he has so much class.

They're very close, Iniesta is certainly the more entertaining to watch but Xavi has consistently been dominating midfields for five years now. I don't think Iniesta is too far off Zidane, however, though he still has to dominate an international competition in the same way that Zizou did to surpass him.

For me its Sergio Leonel "Kum Kun" Agüero del Castillo Jr. III Esq. That one bothers me more than any in my time of following the club. I loved how the guy was the heart and soul of Atletico de Madrid, an inventive little genius but also a determined, feisty player. I thought at the time he was a perfect fit for Chelsea.

Considering that was a transfer that was "48 hours away from being announced" for about 2 years, and then the club got bored and moved for Torres instead, it still lives on as a "what could have been" moment. 

Then again, Chelsea haven't done too shabby since then. Getting to watch these three also helped me get over El Kun.

Oscar-Eden-Hazard-and-Jua-008.jpg

I still cry myself to sleep at night thinking of what might have been...

The funny thing is I recall half the forum were up in arms about Pirlo! He's past it etc ha ha

Lots of transfers that never happened that were very close. A few that spring to mind - Delveicchio, Gerrard (twice!), Dani Alves, Southgate (we signed Bogarde instead!)

There's loads, plenty we don't know anything about too I bet!

The funny thing is I recall half the forum were up in arms about Pirlo! He's past it etc ha ha

Lots of transfers that never happened that were very close. A few that spring to mind - Delveicchio, Gerrard (twice!), Dani Alves, Southgate (we signed Bogarde instead!)

There's loads, plenty we don't know anything about too I bet!

I remember coming downstairs and the Guardian ran a headline on the front page of the sport section that Dani Alves had signed great player but prized bellend to

I remember coming downstairs and the Guardian ran a headline on the front page of the sport section that Dani Alves had signed great player but prized bellend to

I'm so glad we didn't get him. There's just something about him that I hate.

We tried to get Matt Le Tissier  but he didn't want to leave Southampton. Duncan McKenzie was one of a number of very talented flamboyant players around in the 70s who could be equally frustrating. He should have been a great signing for us given his previous couple of years at Everton.

Archived