Gianfranco Zola

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I'm sitting here just after watching the said video of Gianfranco. It has reminded me of special a player he was for us. I had the pleasure of seeing him play many times. When we talk of modern day players including some of our own, and how special they are, I don't think many of them are fit to lace the boots of Gianfranco. He was the best player I have ever seen play the game, he had everything, and he was a decent bloke just to round it off. Whether it was his pass to Poyet, his flick against Norwich, his cracker against Utd (Stam and Schmeichel on their arses) his holding Dicks off the ball and finishing, his entire game against Spuds, or his winner against Stuttgart, I just loved seeing him in the blue. 

http://youtu.be/b25MZuCzK1U

I'm in a nostalgic mood.

BTW his game against Liverpool 4-2 at home FA CUP 1997 was one of my favorites, although just too many to pick, couldn't even make a top 20 for this man. Anybody got any blinders to share ?

Great player and a great person too, its hard to be respected and liked by all rival clubs fans but he was which shows what a good player and person he was. Still wouldn't have him over Hazard though.

I think i would. Hazard is great but he is playing in a totally different Chelsea to the Chelsea of the late 90's early 2000's. If we had Zola in a Chelsea team like today i think he would have been even better than he was. We also need to remember that we got Zola when he was 30, who knows what other amazing things he could have done here if he had joined us at the age Hazard joined us.

A ridiculous player on the pitch but more importantly a great guy off the pitch

As you have said it is rare that there is a talented player on the pitch who is universally popular but Franco is one of them

The only player i've ever seen in the Premier League of comparable quality with a football is Suarez, yet they couldn't be more different in image or personality. Would have loved to see Franco play with the likes of Robben and Cole if he'd stayed another year or two.

I think i would. Hazard is great but he is playing in a totally different Chelsea to the Chelsea of the late 90's early 2000's. If we had Zola in a Chelsea team like today i think he would have been even better than he was. We also need to remember that we got Zola when he was 30, who knows what other amazing things he could have done here if he had joined us at the age Hazard joined us.

Jose would have sold him for not tracking back.

Honestly, I would take him over Hazard. It's not really fair to compare players to other players but on this occasion I will and it's Franco all the way.

A CHELSEA player loved by other clubs, fans and even managers ? Now that is special.

When he done Carragher and a couple of the other dippers in the corner was classic.

A great player and a great man. As others have already written, one of the few players loved and respected by fans and staff of other teams. When he turned Julian Dicks inside out was a joy to behold. Also his goal against Wimbledon in the FA Cup semi-final - when he turned the defender one way and then another. A man of his word. We all wanted him to stay another season but he'd given his word to his home town that he would finish his playing career there. Nothing or no-one (including Roman) woud change his mind. Hats off to him for keeping his word. Great respect for that. So great to see him when he came back for the pre-season friendly. Nearly scored with a free-kick.

Funnily enough it was a young Carlo who bombed Zola out of Parma and refused Baggio. Things he admits were mistakes and he learned from by accommodating flair players at his clubs later in his career.

So if it wasn't for Carlo and his lack of flexibility we would have never saw the genius in blue.

I disagree i doubt when Zola was young people were saying he could be one of the best players in the world like people have with Hazard. I also felt Zola never scored enough goals despite his talent, didn't get picked for his country on a regular basis either.

Zola didn't have the speed and dribbling ability like Hazard does plus Hazard at his best ( Sunderland away) is something special, nobody could live with that.

I disagree i doubt when Zola was young people were saying he could be one of the best players in the world like people have with Hazard. I also felt Zola never scored enough goals despite his talent, didn't get picked for his country on a regular basis either.

Zola didn't have the speed and dribbling ability like Hazard does plus Hazard at his best ( Sunderland away) is something special, nobody could live with that.

But Hazard still has some way to go before he can match the "Legend" status that Zola clearly achieved.

Is is unfair to compare as they are different times and we had Franco later in his career whereas Hazard should be getting better each season. Hazard has been exceptional at times this season and is without doubt our best player ON HIS DAY, but Franco was consistently good and it's consistency that Hazard needs to add to his game. No good tearing Sunderland apart and then going missing a week later.