Sky Sports 5

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Another Sky Sports Channel. Dedicated to European Football.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11061/9342982/sky-sports-launches-sky-sports-5-a-new-channel-dedicated-to-european-football

Sky Sports launches Sky Sports 5 - a new channel dedicated to European Football

Last Updated: 10/06/14 10:16am

Up to 600 live European football matches next season on Sky Sports 5

Sky today announces good news for millions of its customers ahead of the new football season with confirmation that Sky Sports is to launch the first-ever television channel dedicated to European Football.

• Sky customers should revisit the site on June 12 to activate Sky Sports 5 and register for two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited.

"Sky Sports 5 takes our unrivalled live football coverage to the next level offering more European football than ever before. There’s never been a better time to be a Sky Sports customer and with two years’ free totally unlimited broadband, we offer the ultimate package for sports fans."

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports

Customers with Sky Sports will be able to receive the new channel - Sky Sports 5 - as part of their sports package, at no extra cost, and as a further bonus they can also get two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited. Sky Sports 5 will screen up to 600 live European football matches next season featuring some of the best players, the best teams and the best competitions. Sky Sports 5 will be the seventh channel from Sky Sports and will be the home of European Qualifiers, UEFA Champions League, La Liga and Copa del Rey for Sky Sports viewers, plus a host of other European football programming including Revista De La Liga and Champions League Weekly.

Sky Sports are launching a new channel, Sky Sports Five, the first channel dedicated to European football. The channel will show more than 600 live matches

For the first time Sky Sports will also offer exclusively live coverage of Holland’s top division Eredivisie. The new 4-year deal announced today will bring live matches each week to Sky Sports 5, enabling viewers to follow the domestic campaigns of the Netherlands’ top teams including Ajax, Feyenoord, FC Twente and PSV Eindhoven.

Sky customers will be able to register for Sky Sports 5 from June 12 via red button, online and by calling Sky. In a further bonus, Sky Sports customers can also get two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited worth £7.50 a month. This, Sky’s best ever broadband offer, means people could save up to £330 – and get the great value of Sky’s totally unlimited broadband with no usage limits and no extra download charges.

"Some of my greatest playing moments were on the European stage with Manchester United, playing in El Clasico for Real Madrid and captaining England in Euro qualifiers. Sky Sports 5 will offer all the drama and excitement that European football has to offer and I’ll certainly be gripped."

Sky Ambassador David Beckham

Barney Francis, Managing Director of Sky Sports said: "Sky Sports 5 takes our unrivalled live football coverage to the next level offering more European football than ever before. There’s never been a better time to be a Sky Sports customer and with two years’ free totally unlimited broadband, we offer the ultimate package for sports fans."

Sky ambassador David Beckham added: "Some of my greatest playing moments were on the European stage with Manchester United, playing in El Clasico for Real Madrid and captaining England in Euro qualifiers. Sky Sports 5 will offer all the drama and excitement that European football has to offer and I’ll certainly be gripped."

Sky customers are reminded they should revisit the site on June 12 to activate Sky Sports 5 and register for two years’ free Sky Broadband Unlimited. Availability on other TV platforms will be confirmed closer to launch.

Just another means of keeping their coverage away from the likes of Virgin Media and BT Sports. 

Don't get me wrong for the most part Sky's sport coverage is superb but their monopoly on it means a lot of people are completely priced out of subscribing to it. 

With Sky losing the Champions League on a seasons time. I reckon they'll try and get other leagues coverage like Bundesliga.

Do we know who won the Europa League rights from that season?

BT has won the rights.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-wins-all-live-uk-tv-rights-to-champions-league-and-europa-league-S11363847946944

I wonder if they'll 

With Sky losing the Champions League on a seasons time. I reckon they'll try and get other leagues coverage like Bundesliga.

TBH I can't even remember who won the Europa League let alone the rights!  I wonder if Virgin will have SP5?

Sky is losing the Champions League? 

I think you mean ITV is losing it. It won't be shown on terrestial television since BT bought those rights. Haven't heard anything about Sky losing CL coverage.

Sky is losing the Champions League? 

I think you mean ITV is losing it. It won't be shown on terrestial television since BT bought those rights. Haven't heard anything about Sky losing CL coverage.

Sky won't have Champions League from 2015 - BT will have it and the Europa League

As part of the negotiations, Uefa insisted that some matches, including both finals, were shown free-to-air in order to preserve the value of its sponsorship deals and ensure that they could be seen by a wider audience. Under the current agreement, one game in every round of Champions League matches is shown on ITV, as well as some Europa League games. BT has promised that every participating British team will be shown free at least once a season to non-subscribers. Also, ITV could yet pick up a highlights package.

• 2 weeks later...

Its terrible that BT have the CL rights. Its only going to force people to stream than pay for it. Is anyone seriously going to shell out for Sky AND BT?

Why is it any worse BT having football rights than SKY?

Give BT their dues they're making a real go of rivaling Sky for the football coverage and if they continue to build on what was a fairly successful first season for them they might gain the rights to more matches in time... It's about time someone ended the Monopoly Sky have on football in the UK. 

I think you should be able to buy rights for your club only, a subscription to chelsea tv should include all games live on TV, and each club should have their own station.

I don't think it would effect gate receipts, as for the last 5 years or more, every game has been available online via a stream. They may aswell put it into a nice easy glossy package for you.

I was up at my parents on saturday and a red button icon appeared to 'activate' SS5.

The terms and conditions were not all that clear...but to me it read like "this comes with your sky sports package as standard, press select to activate now'

'oh by the way we're gonna be knocking the price up 10%'