England - Should we change the national anthem?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Conquer Scotland???  WE had to provide England with a King when they had run out of royals!!

Who was descended from an English princess, hence how he qualified!

Knew that would wind you up!

Edited by Beerqueen

Who was descended from an English princess, hence how he qualified!

Knew that would wind you up!

James the VI and I well, yes, his great granny was Henry VIII's sister Margaret, but James had far more Scottish and French blood than English - and given that Margaret herself was half Welsh, it leaves him only a minute splash of English blood!  And his wife Anne was Danish - so that leaves even less English blood for his descendants!!

Yes, please change it. I hate that players feel like they MUST sing it when it comes on, i thinks it's a boring and depressing song and i'm tired of seeing so many people sing it out of sync  :biggrin:

Ditch it for something that has no words.

Edited by Scott Harris

• 1 month later...

The problem is that England don't really have a distinctive culture like Scotland and Wales do, Northern Ireland don't either as their fans culture is based upon their loyalty to England, though the ex captain Aaron Hughes said that the anthem should be changed for them. It is an odd set up as most of their fans are from a small area, they do not gain support from the west of Lough Neagh.

Edited by curtis---

If that's the case, it HAS to be Nimrod by Elgar.

Read an article a couple of months ago which argued that Elgar was an avid Wolves fan and essentially invented the football chant.

Here it is:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/8026215/Sir-Edward-Elgar-wrote-football-chant-along-with-his-classical-music.html

• 2 months later...

I like our national anthem but I do understand the desire to change. If we did though I think Jerusalem would be a terrible choice, it's too slow and dreary, hard to get much passion into it.

What about Cockney Sparrer's England belongs to me.

classic tune , great group

• 1 month later...

Definitely, I have little love for the monarchy and would love if we sung something a little more stirring and a little less sleep-inducing when we should be trying to pump the atmosphere up.

Rule Britannia anyone?

Where on earth are you from?

We're from Eng-er-land.

Where you come from, do you put the kettle on?

Excuse me, people - not just Gem - the national Anthem is NOT an English anthem, it is a United Kingdom anthem!

Ask the people that really care if we should change it, ask those people that travel the world be it as football fans, fans of other sports or as part of their jobs if we should change it.

The little man sitting at home moaning about everything and anything deserves little voice in my opinion.

Quote name="moi" post="1191703" timestamp="1466287769"]

Excuse me, people - not just Gem - the national Anthem is NOT an English anthem, it is a United Kingdom anthem!

You mean...the queen...has more than England?!

Edited by Droogba

I'm sure that God save the King was written as a tribute after the Battle of Culloden in 1746.

This battle was not an England v Scotland battle. Many lowland Scots fought on the Hanover side in this battle.

They did indeed, erskblue!  It was really only the highland clans that gathered in support of the so-called "bonnie" Prince Charlie.  (who ran away to Skye and then to France pretty damn quick when things weren't going his way - and left the clans to be slaughtered)

Moi: Cheers for that. England v Scotland wars back then and for a long time before were not clear cut.

The Scottish nobility often sided with the English armies and they never really rallied behind William Wallace because he was a commoner.

A few even changed sides during The Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 when they realised early on that Robert Bruce army was most likely to win.

Bruce was from the nobility and I am sure had fought for Edward 1st in earlier campaigns, thought not necessarily in Scotland.

Edited by erskblue

Moi: Cheers for that. England v Scotland wars back then and for a long time before were not clear cut.

The Scottish nobility often sided with the English armies and they never really rallied behind William Wallace because he was a commoner.

A few even changed sides during The Battle of Bannockburn in 1314 when they realised early on that Robert Bruce army was most likely to win.

Bruce was from the nobility and I am sure had fought for Edward 1st in earlier campaigns, thought not necessarily in Scotland.

William Wallace was a minor noble, there was nothing common about him. 

• 3 weeks later...