Jump to content

70s photos of Shed Boys


David Nicolson

Recommended Posts


"Stick tight, shoulder to shoulder like Roman soldiers, all you littlens get to the back, one day it'll be your turn to stand at the front.... Put that cigarette out if you want to be a tasty geezer one day"........ PMSL I was one of the littlens with a fag in my mouth, remember thinking how old he was (mid twenties), we used to call him Daddy Harkins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

I wasnt a member of the forum when David posted these pictures many months ago, but got very exited at the prospect of seeing the 100s of photos from this era.

I can only guess that he used the premise of creating an album as a device to make contact with a few of the old boys he knew from back then, and for whatever reason renaged on his promise.

Bit of a poor show IMO  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He may have just been busy and forgotten but it may be that the excitement the photos generated made him realise their value and he is now reluctant to just give them away. If a good book about that era was published I imagine it could sell quite a few copies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


27 minutes ago, Andy North said:

He may have just been busy and forgotten but it may be that the excitement the photos generated made him realise their value and he is now reluctant to just give them away. If a good book about that era was published I imagine it could sell quite a few copies.

I agree plus some of the lads in the pictures might not want the photos put on the net. Possibly don't want their families (kids,grandkids) to know they had a bit of a hooligan past.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I agree plus some of the lads in the pictures might not want the photos put on the net. Possibly don't want their families (kids,grandkids) to know they had a bit of a hooligan past.

I'm a good friend of Bubbles and believe me nothing would give him greater pleasure than seeing photos of him posted all over the gaff!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do get the possibility that David didn't realise the value of his images.

I could see them going down a storm in a photographic exiibition -  its social history as he pointed out.

A fella knocked around with and photographed the Spurs vermin in 78, and stapled together a rag called ' We are the Tottenham Boys'

Original copies now trade hands for hundreds of sheckles.

I've no problem with the fella earning a crust out the thing- Id happily pay to view all these photos, book form whatever.

Its just the present ' dog in a manger' attitude after all these years that's  a tad frustrating.

Go on David, You can do it mate!  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/03/2017 at 20:20, The Leigh Limpet said:

Any idea where he got that nickname from?. Over the decades, yet to meet any 'Blue' who knows!.

LOL because he liked Eccles cakes" are you having a larf?

 

He got that nick name from Cliff Webb back in 1965 because he laughed like Eccles off the Goon Show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 3/23/2017 at 13:20, The Leigh Limpet said:

Any idea where he got that nickname from?. Over the decades, yet to meet any 'Blue' who knows!.

I may be wrong on this ,i went to school in Hammersmith in the late 60's early 70's, Eccles was a local legend, we were a few years younger, but a couple of the older kids in school who were shed boys claimed it came from the character played by Spike Milligan on the Goon Show . No idea why he used the name though, my impression was it came when Danny and some of the others mucking around, and it just stuck . No idea if this was true though, just one of the many stories that did the rounds .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, MTR74 said:

I may be wrong on this ,i went to school in Hammersmith in the late 60's early 70's, Eccles was a local legend, we were a few years younger, but a couple of the older kids in school who were shed boys claimed it came from the character played by Spike Milligan on the Goon Show . No idea why he used the name though, my impression was it came when Danny and some of the others mucking around, and it just stuck . No idea if this was true though, just one of the many stories that did the rounds .

I posted this above

"He got that nick name from Cliff Webb back in 1965 because he laughed like Eccles off the Goon Show. "

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi,
I'm Mickaël , a french independant journalist and I'm currently working for the La Découverte publisher on a big book entitled "A Popular History of Football" which will be published in early 2018.

The project is particularly interested in football as a vector of collective and individual emancipation, popular culture and resistances (workers'struggle, anti-totalitarism, decolonialism, feminism militancy, fan culture, etc.), while taking part in a process of history “from below” of the practice of the people's game.

I have a whole section of the book about football fan culture in Great Britain, especially during the 60's until the 80's with the rise of skinhead culture in the terraces, and with the publisher, we are currently exploring some photos to illustrate each chapter.

In this sense, and if you are interested both by the idea and the publication, I come to you to know if you have some Shed Boys pictures (like David Nicolson's ones) during the 70's because it will illustrate very well this chapter about skinhead culture in football.

Ddon't hesitate to send me a private message or to ask me for further information about the book.

Kind regards,

Mickaël

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

  • 9 months later...
37 minutes ago, CarefreeTom said:

Another good shot from early 80s. My Dads cousin Eddie front right and the balding bloke John the window cleaner from Battersea

B29DC4AD-A4AE-4713-8B88-F46B77753F36.png

Nice one Tom. 

Shame the bloke who promised to put online his 100’s of original photos got cold feet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

Nice one Tom. 

Shame the bloke who promised to put online his 100’s of original photos got cold feet

Yeah is a proper shame. Probably a lot of pics of my dad I’d like to see. I’d compensate the fella if it’s money he’s after

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 1 month later...

Hi David.

I am Jeanies brother Terry. Bubs and Jean are no longer an item although they remainn good friends. Jean is now remarried and has four grown up kids(how time flies)

Please contact me. I have more of your pics as well, and am considering a book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
Please Sign In or Sign Up

Well, this is awkward!

Happy Tech GIF by Atlassian

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

Sure, let me in!