Ethan Ampadu

terraloon
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I guess in truth this should be posted in the youth or academy sections and whilst we haven't officially announced it on our site it appears we have signed a youngster called Ethan Ampadu from Exeter.

This lad is 16 years of age and has already played in the league for Exeter debuting at age 15. He has already played 12 times for Exeters first team debuting at 15.

Whats interesting about this lad is that he played in a game in the EFL cup against our youngsters last season. A game Exeter won and a game we went to. Ethan is a defensive midfielder and for me  in that game he was the stand out performer. It was the first time I had watched him live  but living as we do in the West Country have been watching his progress which has been staggering

Already  he is too good to play either for the youth or indeed the under 21s although I guess it's too early to loan him out but keep your eyes on this lad for he really has the potential to become the real deal.

Edited by terraloon

Just now, Deino said:

Chelsea should buy Vitesse or start up a new club in the Dutch league. It'd be simpler

Would cause problems if both qualify for EC or CL competitions...look at RB's struggles...we should buy West Ham and never worry about it...

it's simple really. if the young player is top class he will play for us. we need young players to stand out when given the chance, not put in mediocre performances. i blame high wages at young ages. it's probably why southern european and south american youth players have that drive to succeed because they don't get big wages for playing in the fecking youth system. english players should need that hunger to play; all the enthusiasm is taken out when they getting paid more per month than a doctor or surgeon does per year.  

Just now, doctorblue said:

Would cause problems if both qualify for EC or CL competitions...look at RB's struggles...we should buy West Ham and never worry about it...

Nah, Soton's the way to go. Both academies combined would produce a team that will consistently take that 7th spot

10 minutes ago, Deino said:

Nah, Soton's the way to go. Both academies combined would produce a team that will consistently take that 7th spot

Southampton stand a chance of making Europe while Wet Spam haven't got a chance of getting there even in holiday...

Edited by doctorblue

1 hour ago, enigma said:

it's simple really. if the young player is top class he will play for us. we need young players to stand out when given the chance, not put in mediocre performances. i blame high wages at young ages. it's probably why southern european and south american youth players have that drive to succeed because they don't get big wages for playing in the fecking youth system. english players should need that hunger to play; all the enthusiasm is taken out when they getting paid more per month than a doctor or surgeon does per year.  

There probably is truth to that, as much as I hate it. It's easy for me to say this but I believe it with every fibre of my being... the money is great and that but to win things and go down in the books is much more appealing than an extra 20/30/40 grand a week. I guess I'm just not massively motivated by money. The trophies and glory should focus the mind.

• 5 years later...

One from the vaults. Ampadu's Spezia lost the Serie A relegation play-off to Verona. Ethan's contributions cancelled each other out. An own goal followed by actually putting one into the right net. His third relegation in three years. Is he cursed? Anyway, Spezia are going to have to tighten the purse strings in Serie B. We might see him back.

40 minutes ago, dermott said:

One from the vaults. Ampadu's Spezia lost the Serie A relegation play-off to Verona. Ethan's contributions cancelled each other out. An own goal followed by actually putting one into the right net. His third relegation in three years. Is he cursed? Anyway, Spezia are going to have to tighten the purse strings in Serie B. We might see him back.

Back to League One or possibly mid to lower Champ ultimately I reckon.

7 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Back to League One or possibly mid to lower Champ ultimately I reckon.

Yup, I think so. His contract is up in September. Can't see the point of another one. Highly promising at 16 but has never really kicked on.