Loyal to Chelsea dilema

tottonblue

I say dilemma but it really isn't for me,a friend of mine passed away recently we had known each other 45 years not best mate but a good pal we both loved a pint and a bet also footy banter here's the problem he couldn't decide between arse or southampton.

His funeral is next week only 30 allowed to attend with me being one dress code arse or saints shirts, I'm sorry but I won't put another team's shirt  on my back think I am goiing with retro 84 promotion no sponsors just badge I'm sure my mate will understand.

Some alternative thoughts:

Chelsea once had a Red away shirt

Just wear a neutral shirt like England or one of the home nations.

Wear a neutral shirt, I used to wear an Umbro sweat shirt in the day to avoid violent confrontations.

Pretty sure your friend won't mind anyway just the company and most of them would be interested in how you knew him having different allegiances.

Strider, thanks for the input I did have red&white shirt sponsored by Commodore even if I knew where it was couldn't fit into now think it got shrunk in the wash.

As for neutral shirt,can't see problems with violent confrontation anyway.limited numbers I will know most  if   not all so pretty sure they get me trying to be light hearted on sad  occaision ,still football related my mate would have understood

1 hour ago, tottonblue said:

I say dilemma but it really isn't for me,a friend of mine passed away recently we had known each other 45 years not best mate but a good pal we both loved a pint and a bet also footy banter here's the problem he couldn't decide between arse or southampton.

His funeral is next week only 30 allowed to attend with me being one dress code arse or saints shirts, I'm sorry but I won't put another team's shirt  on my back think I am goiing with retro 84 promotion no sponsors just badge I'm sure my mate will understand.

I reckon that's the best football shirt in football history, the Blue and Yellow, if your mate would understand go for it, you'll feel good wearing it.

10 hours ago, tottonblue said:

Strider, thanks for the input I did have red&white shirt sponsored by Commodore even if I knew where it was couldn't fit into now think it got shrunk in the wash.

Yeah that seems to have happened to all my old shirts too.......😬

I went to a cousins funeral who had died of Covid just before Christmas. He was a massive Liverpool fan and the request went out for all attending to wear something red. So that is what I did, it was out of respect for him not the club he supported.

10 hours ago, Gol15 said:

If your friend really wanted everyone to wear Arsenal/Southampton shirt then you should honor your friends request IMO.

When it's all over you can even take it off and leave it there, or consider it a final shirt exchange and keep it.

I agree if a mate asked me to wear something whether it be a football shirt or a mankini at his funeral I'd do it.  I think it was for the poor young lad Jermain Defoe was close to Newcastle fans would wear Sunderland tops for a day and vice versa to raise money for cancer charities.

Edited by bluehaze

How about a retro Southampton 1976 yellow FA Cup shirt with Osgood 9 on the back ? It's not a million miles away from a Chelsea away kit ...

image.png.ce83a1ca0e248213621217721c8ee6cb.png

https://www.toffs.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/44164/s/southampton-1975-1978-retro-football-shirt/?source=ofs&awc=317_1612260636_50b5f7653f8784481092e84a9d4b287e

Edited by Sexyfootball

Thanks for your replies, my mates passing was sudden &unexpected he hadn't planned but his daughter thought that's what he would like so I have now decided that I will wear a red tie.

will have Chelsea pin badge on my jacket so hopefully nobody will be offended I know he will understand he's probably pissing himself now still causing me hassle.

Let's hope we turnover spuds,that will make us both happy!

Yeah I’d wear a red tie.

I wouldn’t wear an arsenal top under any circumstances but that’s me. Red tie to show respect to your friend, you could wear red socks too, people probably will see the funny side of it.

I’m sorry about your friend, RIP.

On 01/02/2021 at 21:44, tottonblue said:

First of all my condolences for the loss of your pal.....

Not quite as serious but my condolences for the whole totton thing (I'm born and bred millbrook).

Go with a chels shirt mate saints fans are used to people around them supporting proper teams 🤣.

If it makes you feel any better wear red socks

Lastly and arguably most importantly dont tell @Munkworth where your from..  

He's an attention seeking skate who loves the attention so he won't stop going on at you for being a 'scummer'

men bathroom GIF

Sorry for your loss, don’t blame you for not wanting to wear either shirt considering the options. Have you considered a Portsmouth shirt but with that legendary Southampton player on the back; Peter Crouch? 

You could go as Harry Redknapp, he’s held in high regard by both clubs. 

17 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

men bathroom GIF

Sorry for your loss, don’t blame you for not wanting to wear either shirt considering the options. Have you considered a Portsmouth shirt but with that legendary Southampton player on the back; Peter Crouch? 

You could go as Harry Redknapp, he’s held in high regard by both clubs. 

Haha out numbering you lot now.... go back to hugging beanie babies

Malta blue thanks for advice,but I can't be classed as scummer  surely I don't have right papers to cross the river test I'm totton born and bred!

Also thanks munkworth,see if I can get Matt le tiss  to pop down to start a peace process to you good folk down there enjoying their fish.

Up the chels

7 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

Throw the shirt on - its the right thing to do.  The Chelsea thing to do.

I'd say put a Southampton shirt on (definitely not an Arsenal one) on, then as prevously suggested leave it on the coffin and showing a Chelsea shirt underneath. That would pay hommage to the banter you and your mate enjoyed.

My condolences on your loss. Hopefully the Covid restrictions won't stand in the way of a beautiful send-off.