The atmosphere for the semi-final

just

From where I sat, MHU, the atmosphere was poor at the Bridge last night. Alright, the team played poorly, but so was our support. As usual the MHL was lively but, for long periods, there seemed to be little noise coming from other areas of the ground. With the corporate Tarquins and Tasmins out in force for the home leg of the semi, I fear a repeat of the "library" atmosphere of the 05/06 home leg against the dippers.

I still cringe at the memory of that night. I came extremely close to rolling around on the floor with a fellow Chelsea "supporter", who got lairy with my old dad for standing up and singing. Unbelievable. All in all it was a dire, appalling effort from our fans that every rival supporter quite rightly had a field day with.

So. What can we do to prevent a repeat? For the sake of debate, lets dispense with the political correctness and consider any idea, no matter how radical or seemingly far-fetched. Here's some possible suggestions.

1. A complete ban on corporates. All coporate seats to be sold to ordinary club members.

2. No tickets to be sold through ticket agencies. Sales through the club box-office only. Hopefully this makes it much, much harder for the tourists and day-trippers to get hold of tickets.

3. A reduction in ticket prices.

4. A complete ban on female supporters for this game.

5. Not allowable under current rules, but fans to ignore the current rule and stand for the match. As we do abroad. As the travelling mousers fans will do.

6. The return of the Blue flag. f**k the fire regs. Club to pay the fine.

7. Orchestrated areas of singing, led by leaders with microphones and amplified by speakers around the ground. As they do at Barcelona for massive games.

8. No fan to be let into the ground unless wearing club colours. Yes, that means you Just. You never wear colours.

9. Stewards to agressively police the stands and eject any "supporter" not being rowdy enough.

That's enough to be going on with. What's your views?

You could try sitting somewhere else! icon_lol.gif

I didn't think the atmosphere was poor at all last night. It was certainly as loud as I have heard it all season. (Which might not be saying much, I know.)

I think it will be different this year because the home leg is second. I sort of understand why it is quieter in the first leg - nothing gets decided and it's a much cagier affair. I'm sure Anfield won't be as loud this time around.

Point 4

What's wrong with Females at games although on TV it did seem that there were more women than men there

It should read - No females unless they are STH or True Blue Members who aren't just there because their bloke got two freebies and had no one else to take

I think we have to ask why many of us old fashioned STH's are not attending the games

my reasons are

a) the prices are more than I pay for a game per ST

B) I'm sick of standing next to a foul mouthed JCL who's mate supports the opposing side or asks what the name of the player was that scored the goal- who stands up whatever because he did it 20 years ago when he last went to football and then abuses the regulars becuase the old girl and the bloke who is v vertially challenged in the rows near me can't see a bloody thing

c) we are not playing well and seeing as Mr Brown is bleeding me dry at the moment - I'll keep the pennies for my ST and hold onto that until i'm working for nothing or I bugger off like all the sane people off to a better life!!!

Lot of good points Just.

But Blimey, that no 4. is controversial icon_lol.gif (not saying I disagree though)

I had the TV turned right up last night and at times the atmosphere sounded pretty good.

But it needs to be better. As much as the media and all over hype Liverpool / Anfield, you cannot argue that at times they do create a right old din. We have to look to match or better that.

But Blimey, that no 4. is controversial icon_lol.gif (not saying I disagree though)

We don't sing, we're not rowdy, we can't clap our hands because we're holding the prawn sandwich and chilled bottle of Chablis, and most of all, we don't understand football and we love it even less. No idea what the fuss is about.

Am I right or am I right, Gem, Jane, Callista?

icon_lol.gif

I am MHU season ticket holder and proud.. as for the atmos, yes it can be flat, but there are some eldelry regulars (around me) who have been there and done it, and want to sit and enjoy their football.. Good for them I say. But we do suffer on cup and European nights with a lot of Oriental looking people... didnt recognise many round me last night.

On the whole MHU is pretty good. but it does swing in roundabouts.

As for imporving it.. difficult really. I agree on the prices thing, but it is not a short term solution. Just lowering the prices for one game would not work.

Loud speakers Drums or instruments... not having that ! pathetic.

Allow smoking and drinking in the seats. Serve some decent beer at a decent price... I am a lot louder pissed !! .... Thats my solution icon_wink.gif

Already had 2 different people contact me about tickets for the game.

''will the club do a corporate package for that game?''

I suppose the answer will be ''yes'' and they'll charge thru the nose, for people who don't support the club but can pay over the odd's and get it back on their expense forms at work!

It's a real shame what happens to loyal supporters for the 'big' games nowdays.

Allow smoking and drinking in the seats. Serve some decent beer at a decent price... I am a lot louder pissed !! .... Thats my solution icon_wink.gif

Me too icon_lol.gif

I bought a Heineken in the ground before the Derby game and it was absolutely horrible. I say they should sell Magners 431.gif

Agree totally, i was sat in the mh/l and didnt think it was that great from us.The flags are great at the start but sing a different song. blue is the the colour is so drab and dated. we really need a new song to get the blood pumping. suggs get writing. man city, bham, stoke to name but a few, have great anthems that get the crowd going. hate to say it.... liverpool as well,perhaps we all need the scarfs back

We don't sing, we're not rowdy, we can't clap our hands because we're holding the prawn sandwich and chilled bottle of Chablis, and most of all, we don't understand football and we love it even less. No idea what the fuss is about.

Am I right or am I right, Gem, Jane, Callista?

icon_lol.gif

Thought that might get you going icon_wink.gif It's inclusion as a suggestion, was a bit tongue in cheek, but only partially.

A huge proportion of the crowd at SB are female. Way more than I see in grounds when I travel abroad and, though I don't do many away games in this country nowadays, definately more than I see when I have been to the likes of Anfield, West Ham, Villa etc.

Now, I fully accept Gem, Jane, Callista, Rizza, Pudge etc are all dyed-in-the-wool Chelsea. You would probably all go to a big game and sing like canaries, shout like miners and get behind the team for the entire game. But the fact is the vast majority of women who attend, don't. And the number of females going with husbands, boyfriends, brothers, sons etc nowadays is staggering. And with those female companions in close attendance, do their male counterparts feel as inclined to sing, shout and support with the same gusto as if they were unaccompanied? IMO no. On the whole, I don't think they do. I certainly don't give the same level of vocal support when I take my 9 year old daughter. And though she never goes, because she has little interest in football, it would be exactly the same if my other half was sitting next to me. If I stood up and started shouting and singing next to her she'd probably belt me.

I don't know what the answer is to be honest. But if people really felt that that was a good atmosphere last night, then I think we may have already lost the battle. Perhaps we have.

Just wanna point out that its me, my daughter & son that go to games, I dont go with a boyfriend or husband. I pay for all my own games and am up there singing/shouting/screaming etc.

I do get your drift about the women who attend who have not got the slightest bit of interest in Chelsea or the game, the only reason there are there is to eye up Frank or JT.

But please dont tar us all with the same brush nono.gif

In IMO I have found it to be when the tickets go either on general or are easier to obtain that you get the cling on's that come out for cheap games & bring the atmosphere down substancially. Maybe there should be a change to the arrangements for the seeling of tickets which would stop the hitch hickers ruining the game for the true fans.

I don't know what the answer is to be honest. But if people really felt that that was a good atmosphere last night, then I think we may have already lost the battle. Perhaps we have.

Its lost Just.

We lost it years ago with Captain Birdseye at the helm. Stamford Bridge became a plush airline departure lounge, and well, someone had to pay for it. The fans that made our support so great have long bene priced out.We rely to much on the corparate sh*t now im afraid. Liverpool, credit to them know the score , they have kept in touch with their core. We alienated ours years ago.

Imagine the class of 85 against Liverpool in the semi. Scary.

I also think it wasn't that bad last night.

It wasn't the greatest atmosphere and there were periods of quiet but there were periods when much of the ground sang. I sat in the West Upper and unusually there were people singing - considering a large proportion of people sitting there were Turks that's quite impressive. I'm sure there were plenty of London Turks all around the ground.

Second leg versus Liverpool - can't wait it will be storming.

Wasn't sure about the Stewards employed to wave large flags last night!!!

I also think it wasn't that bad last night.

It wasn't the greatest atmosphere and there were periods of quiet but there were periods when much of the ground sang. I sat in the West Upper and unusually there were people singing - considering a large proportion of people sitting there were Turks that's quite impressive. I'm sure there were plenty of London Turks all around the ground.

Second leg versus Liverpool - can't wait it will be storming.

Wasn't sure about the Stewards employed to wave large flags last night!!!

I just watched the match back on ITV and I swear they must have put their mics in the middle of the away fans! All you could hear were the Turks whistling when we had possession. I can understand why people watching on TV thought the crowd was quiet.

It is all relative of course. I wouldn't say it was fantastic by any means but by comparison with most weeks it was better.

I'd keep the ones with big tits.

Liam's looking for a thick ear.

Just - you know I can't agree about the No Women thing. I make plenty of noise, but do admit that some women who go with their menfolk, don't seem to want to appear "unladylike". Perhaps it should be that all women have to go with their female friends, then that way there would be plenty of noise. icon_wink.gif You men can't have it all your own way - you create the double standards for female vs male behaviour. I'm sure if you put all the women on here together we would give you all a run for your money on the noise stakes.

I think everyone should be allowed to stand - I can't bear sitting down at football and I think it makes a big difference.

Agree about "Blue is the colour". It was a terrible dirge when it came out and it still is.

I agree with no sitting. The fan who comes to the stadium and sits through the whole game is not giving his/her team the support she needs. You might as well stay home and watch the match on tv. what's the point?

The club needs to distribute flags, jerseys, etc... before the game so that most fans are in blue if not all of them. Fenerbahce does that.

Get everyone in every single section involved in the game. Don't let anyone just watch the game. (Fenerbahce has group leaders for each sections.)

Don't be a spectator! Be a fan. Lose your voice at the end of the game.

Archived