Zappacosta

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Move to Inter would apparently be an initial loan with option to buy at the end.

That’s the problem with the Premier League paying inflated prices, if a transfer doesn’t work out you’re likely to make a loss because no one else is going to come close to paying the same.

3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Move to Inter would apparently be an initial loan with option to buy at the end.

That’s the problem with the Premier League paying inflated prices, if a transfer doesn’t work out you’re likely to make a loss because no one else is going to come close to paying the same.

Serves us right for buying bang average players for over £20M.

I hope this deal happens regardless of whether it is loan to buy. 

When you're not getting in the team over someone shoehorned into the role it's safe to say you weren't a good buy.

Not his fault of course,  he seems a nice guy, who was a panic 'you'll do' buy at the very end of an awful transfer window. Would have been better to give those minutes to Dujon.

Sadly it seems to me that if Sarri comes in we'll have Hysaj join as well. Now he is a good player, but that would leave more numbers in front of Dujon, James et al.

1 hour ago, ducavis said:

Problem is it was Conte that was moaning about not having enough options. Same with Emerson.

I think this was a problem last window. Conte moaned he wanted numbers for depths and then when he got them he moaned that we had to spend big to bring in 1 or 2 quality players. He can't have both, we don't have the funds for it. 

3 hours ago, ducavis said:

Problem is it was Conte that was moaning about not having enough options. Same with Emerson.

Well, he was right. We did need more options for the wingbacks. We were relying heavily on Moses and Alonso, having European football meant we needed more options. 

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

It is a valid point. He could have used Azpi as an upgrade/option to Moses but he wanted an extra body in. What was the club to do; buy Walker, Alves or Danilo?

Azpi was first choice for the back three, it's too disruptive moving him around, better to bring in someone new to either be first choice or a squad option. 

I think the intention had been to upgrade on Moses. I think the idea being for Oxlade-Chamberlain to come in and be our first choice wingback, when he turned down the move because he wanted to play in midfield we were left looking for alternatives so instead of upgrading, we ended up buying cover instead. 

If we had been willing to spend £40m on Oxlade-Chamberlain perhaps bringing in someone like Alves on a short term deal wouldn't have been such a bad idea. 

10 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Well, he was right. We did need more options for the wingbacks. We were relying heavily on Moses and Alonso, having European football meant we needed more options. 

Azpi was first choice for the back three, it's too disruptive moving him around, better to bring in someone new to either be first choice or a squad option. 

I think the intention had been to upgrade on Moses. I think the idea being for Oxlade-Chamberlain to come in and be our first choice wingback, when he turned down the move because he wanted to play in midfield we were left looking for alternatives so instead of upgrading, we ended up buying cover instead. 

If we had been willing to spend £40m on Oxlade-Chamberlain perhaps bringing in someone like Alves on a short term deal wouldn't have been such a bad idea. 

We have to be realistic though. Why would Alves have chosen us over PSG or City? 

This is the problem with most of Conte's 'targets', so many of them have been unrealistic. 

15 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

Just because he was moaning about transfers didnt mean he wanted the club to buy bang average players. He was moaning because we wernt getting the top targets like Walker,Sandro Lukaku etc.

He moaned our squad wasn't deep enough at the end of the title winning season. We can't go out and buy 5 world class players anymore so what did he expect? 

Guest Sindre
9 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

He moaned our squad wasn't deep enough at the end of the title winning season. We can't go out and buy 5 world class players anymore so what did he expect? 

At that point he was more pointing out a fact than moaning.
We had to get a bigger squad to be ready for multiple campaigns which the squad wasn’t ready for.

We did a sh*t job at it frankly. We chased leftbacks all summer but didn’t even manage to get one in before January leaving Marcos Alonso exhausted having to play every game.

At right back we paid 28 million(!) for one of the worst right backs I have ever seen at Chelsea. No one is going to tell me we couldn’t get a better right back than Zappacosta for that price.  

5 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

We have to be realistic though. Why would Alves have chosen us over PSG or City? 

This is the problem with most of Conte's 'targets', so many of them have been unrealistic. 

I don't know if Conte wanted Alves, I was just using him as an example. 

Which targets do you think were unrealistic? 

I think that we signed players not good enough to fulfill their intended roles. Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta was £90m odd poorly invested by the club. Morata was an expensive gamble, £60m for a striker that's never been first choice in his senior career... Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you've got to wonder about that one too now. 

Bad set of transfers all round really, only Rudiger and Giroud can be considered successful.  

24 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I don't know if Conte wanted Alves, I was just using him as an example. 

Which targets do you think were unrealistic? 

I think that we signed players not good enough to fulfill their intended roles. Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta was £90m odd poorly invested by the club. Morata was an expensive gamble, £60m for a striker that's never been first choice in his senior career... Hindsight is a wonderful thing but you've got to wonder about that one too now. 

Bad set of transfers all round really, only Rudiger and Giroud can be considered successful.  

Unrealistic targets i think were:

Naingollan - said he didn't want to leave Rome yet we still chased him.

Bonucci - Was 30+ and didn't want to leave Italy.

A. Sandro - Not really unrealistic but i think it would have been silly to make our LB the most expensive player in Chelsea history. 

Was likely more but i can't really remember who we were linked to a year ago now.

Agree that we wasted large fees on average players.

I think Emerson should be added to the list of 'successful' transfers from last year and think he'll be first choice this year. 

28 minutes ago, Sindre said:

We had to get a bigger squad to be ready for multiple campaigns which the squad wasn’t ready for.

We did a sh*t job at it frankly. We chased leftbacks all summer but didn’t even manage to get one in before January leaving Marcos Alonso exhausted having to play every game.

At right back we paid 28 million(!) for one of the worst right backs I have ever seen at Chelsea. No one is going to tell me we couldn’t get a better right back than Zappacosta for that price.  

I'd argue our youth were good enough to 'expand' the squad with. https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2017/8/27/16210644/conte-calls-current-chelsea-youth-not-good-enough

Conte said our youth weren't good enough to fill holes in our squad. The youth team have been winning everything for half a decade now yet they're still not good enough. RLC, Ake, Mount etc. have all gone away and shown their talent yet they aren't good enough to play 10-15 games for us in cups and less important games?

Agree we did a sh*t job signing full backs last year but Conte wanted to sign Sandro, who's fee was beyond ridiculous. Too little too late but at least we got someone arguably as good for 1/3 of the price.

Zappacosta was a sh*t panic buy but again people on here seem to think Conte wanted Walker which we would never have been able to get and then Ox who didn't even want to play out wide.  

27 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He did have options at the beginning of the season but he chose to get rid of all of them. At the end of the season we all felt we needed 3/4 additions, but beginning of the season he keep going on about having 13-14 players and that he needed more players to compete in Europe. He is right and wrong; right in the respect of needing numbers but wrong in thinking the club would shell out £50m+ on 6-8 players.

He had Kenedy, RLC, Ake, Chalobah, Aina, Boga, Musonda & the 30+ players we have on loan as options. He could have integrated 3 from that group, and bought 3-4 quality players. Klopp did that with Trent Alexander & Gomez, and Guardiola did the same with Foden & Zinchenko. Like RIP Mourinho pointed out, you can’t have quality and quantity with current player prices.

On Mon Jun 11 2018 at 17:57, ducavis said:

He did have options at the beginning of the season but he chose to get rid of all of them. At the end of the season we all felt we needed 3/4 additions, but beginning of the season he keep going on about having 13-14 players and that he needed more players to compete in Europe. He is right and wrong; right in the respect of needing numbers but wrong in thinking the club would shell out £50m+ on 6-8 players.

He had Kenedy, RLC, Ake, Chalobah, Aina, Boga, Musonda & the 30+ players we have on loan as options. He could have integrated 3 from that group, and bought 3-4 quality players. Klopp did that with Trent Alexander & Gomez, and Guardiola did the same with Foden & Zinchenko. Like RIP Mourinho pointed out, you can’t have quality and quantity with current player prices.

Heck, when Mendy got injured, Pep played Delph at LB. 

• 2 weeks later...

Rumours persisting that he might be on his way to Inter this summer. 

Seen £17m quoted as a potential fee so looking at a £5m loss within a year.... And this is the problem when leaving it to the last day to sign people.

Got fortunate a couple of years ago with Alonso, a few eyebrows were raised about paying £23m for the former Bolton and Sunderland player but didn't repeat the trick with Zappacosta, signed a mediocre player from a mediocre side. 

On 11/06/2018 at 10:57, ducavis said:

Bang on.

3 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Sell him and have Azpi/Moses as our full backs next year. If he doesn't fancy Moses put Aina in as back up. Sarri ain't massive on rotation anyway so its £17m to spend elsewhere. 

Lots of rumours at the moment that we're close to agreeing a deal to sign Rugani from Juventus.

If we do revert to a back four next season I could see Rudiger playing at right back maybe... 

I think of all our players, Moses is the one who will suffer most if we change to a back four and he might see himself as back up for the wide positions if anything.