Scolari: stay or go

abramovich

This is not a knee jerk reaction. I have had the same feeling ever since our first loss of a season - at home vs Scouse - the one that broke our record. At the time I was understandably upset but felt that this was inevitable and was bound to happen so I was prepared to give the new man time. What was more worrying than the result was the total inept performance with all the traits that soon became a trademark of Scolari's reign and were already on display: slow build up, lack of penetration and cutting edge upfront, shaky defending and tactical naivety, also known as lack of plan B (not that plan A was any good to begin with).

As time went by it became more and more obvious that the man in charge had a very little idea of the magnitude of the task he was facing when he signed on the dotted line. Now suddenly even small teams fancied a trip to the Bridge as for top echelon clubs we are yet to beat any to date. The manner in which we were beaten against our title rivals was depressing: capitulating against Arsenal with almost half hour to play, embarrassed by the mancs and outplayed and outfought twice by the scousers.

I do believe that core of CFC players like Scolari and want him to succeed - the reaction at the Stoke game was the proof. But I also believe he is not the right man for the job. He's a poor tactician, he is too stubborn and inflexible for his own good and in seven months he has destroyed what was built for five years prior to his arrival:winning mentality and tactical organization. The team that prides itself in its mental strength and determination is gone and in its place we have a bunch of players who suddenly lost all their qualities and a manager, who with each day looks more and more like a has been - his best days are past him, people still occasionally recognize him on a street and offer to buy him a pint and in turn he'll entertain them with a tale about the good old days when he was THE MAN.

It's a sad state of affairs and there'll be more days like this between now and the end of the season. Let's not fool ourselves, we're not winning sweet f.a. this year and as far as I'm concerned I wish this season was up tomorrow so we could turn the page and start anew. Whether Scolari should still be there when the new era starts is an open question. The more I see, the less I like what I see.

Although I don't have much faith in him from what I seen I believe that he has to be given time to puy his onlt stamp and players on the club. I don't want to be seen as a team who constantly change their managers when things seem to be starting to go wrong.

We need a bit of stability and I'd prefere him to see out his contract unless things start to go completly off the rails.

Remember Red Nose was on his last legs before he turned things around at Manure.

Goose has said it all for me,

I'd like to see what he could do with a few players of his choosing and a few of our non achieving non tryers let go.

then and only then would I feel it fair to judge what he has to offer, unless he pulls this season round and we end up with the CL or FA Cup and top two place.

if we do that I'd extend his contract till his tache is on his toes.

Abramovic, you're the one that bought him in you now need to have the balls to stand by that decision - you destroyed the best team we've ever had to bring in sexy football, the least you can do is to back the man that you thought would provide that and give him a chance to prove if he's capable!

If you're not the Abramovic, it's a bloody confusing username!

i have complete faith in scolari

it might not be pretty at the moment, but when your building something you occasionally make cock-ups and have to go back to the drawing board, maybe i would feel differently if this was his second season or we were struggling at the bottom of the league

so i'm going to be patient and give him the rest of the season, and see how it unfolds next season, hopefully by the start of next season he will have it all in place, he will have the players he wants and will have off-loaded the players he doesnt

i think we should all be patient get behind scolari and support him, this time last season we were all feeling pretty much the same about avram grant, he wasnt very tactically aware he took us to 2 cup finals and 2nd in the prem where we only just missed out, and we all thought we were going nowhere with him, and the rest is history

I think we must stick with scolari as if we're seen to get rid of a manager when things get tough we'll never attract the big name players and managers to the club again. We knew when we signed up scolari that we were going to have to sacrifice a little bit of the defensive security we once had under mourinho for the flowing football however we have only conceded 15 PL goals this season. I feel the defensive performances have improved since the Manu game and he seems to be learning from his mistakes with a man on the post. We held out Liverpool for long periods of attack against defence as when we got the ball we had no options in advanced areas. The addition of Quaresma, a new front man and another pacy winger in the summer may give us the edge as we have been playing well up to a point its just our toothless attack which is letting us down. Some scolari summer signings and the clearing of the deadwood along with the return of essien could make all the difference

Abramovic, you're the one that bought him in you now need to have the balls to stand by that decision - you destroyed the best team we've ever had to bring in sexy football, the least you can do is to back the man that you thought would provide that and give him a chance to prove if he's capable!

If you're not the Abramovic, it's a bloody confusing username!

I'm so sorry. It's LFS's mustache that did the trick. At the job interview, as he spoke of sexy football he'll implement at "Chewsya" as he called it, I was mesmerized by his facial hair movement which had a near hypnotic effect on me. How was I to know the magic mustache was the one and only good thing about him?

I'm so sorry. It's LFS's mustache that did the trick. At the job interview, as he spoke of sexy football he'll implement at "Chewsya" as he called it, I was mesmerized by his facial hair movement which had a near hypnotic effect on me. How was I to know the magic mustache was the one and only good thing about him?

I think the squad he inherited has been reduced significantly, he has been unlucky in the players he's either let go or been forced to sell and the club have let him down with his main target in Robinho.He doesn't really have the players for the formation he really wants, but is not really getting the best at his disposal. That said I still agree with most of what Abramovic has posted, for an experienced manager in world football he does make some schoolboy errors, like formations that are clearly not working and his odd choice in/or lack of substitutions. We look very one dimensional at times and our opponants have worked out how to stop us, it's quiet easy in fact, and his lack of ability to mix it up a little, or stubborness to change have cost us points this season.

I don't like the Fil we've ended up with, the one who cuddles Rafa before a game and say's they're 'more quality' afterwards. I think he has had his wings clipped by the club, which is why Wilkins was brought in, or he is not quite confident in his own grasp of English to come out and say things without them being misconstrude.

I'd like to see a bit of the Scolari we thought we were getting, the one who punches opposition players who are out of order, the one who other managers fear, the one who puts pressure on referees, the one who comes out and say's it how it is - Big Fil -the winner!

I'd like to think he'll go on to better things once his whole philosophy has been installed, with the players he wants, it's just been a bit painful watching him unravel or completely change what's been done over the past 3-5 years under different managers, rather than adding to it.

I think he's very much like Ranieri, I think he'll do an average job without winning anything, but hopefully will lay the foundations for the next manager to come in and tweak it a bit, and I'd love that bloke to be Jose after he's won everything in Milan, we'll we can dream can't we.

I'd give him til the end of next season and judge him on what he's won, but if he keeps joking and being nice to rival managers I doubt it'll be alot, remember nice guys finish second. Lets hope our nice guy doesn't end up 5th or he could be out sooner than we think.

We do not get rid of Scolari at the moment. It would be completely counterproductive. If we are in this exact situation next year, then we think about, but as for now, we sit out the season, see if Quaresma offers any change to our play, and hope he can get the boys through the Champions League knockout phases, one at a time, whilst keeping a top 4 place. We are a club in transition, Scolari is the man charged with overseeing that, and we must not do anything to ruin that at the present moment.

My opinion of Scolari shouldn't be a secret by now! I have no confidence in him as a club manager and see his future as a Chelsea manager as being short lived and lacking in the sort of success that we have now come to crave.

However I see no point in sacking him now. Any new manager coming in would need to assess the slightly shambolic state our squad is in and by the time that was sorted we would probably be staring up at a United side far too far ahead of us.

I would give him till the end of this season to prove that, contrary to evidence to date, he does have the tactical way with all to make a difference rather than 'as you were' but if we carry on playing the same predictable football with the same predictable team selections then I would let him go at the end of the season before he gets the chance to spend what money is to be made available.

I feel the same way I did with Claudio. Nice enough bloke but should he be replaced with an O'Neill, a Moyes or even a Brown, it would take the new guy a few seconds to sort out the problems.

1. Make sure everyone, and I mean everyone, knows that he's playing for his place every week

2. Up the training levels

3. Play a formation you want to play, not one you've inherited

4. Get the kids in

5. Make some big name sacrifices (bye bye Ballack).

6. Do whatever it takes to create a team spirit again

Avram must be spending this season spitting venom at the telly when he sees us...

Its strange, but I'm almost wishing us to lose nowadays, thats how much I want LFS gone from our club. He hasnt improved anything, he's made it worse.

I've not felt like this in 20 years, since we had that bin dipper in charge.

I'm not convinced by Scolari either, but the guy deserves more than half a season in charge before getting the boot.

And say we do sack him now. Not only do we have to pay off another manager, who do we bring in who's going to do a better job? Mourinho and Capello are unavailable. Lippi didn't want the job in July so I don't see why he would now. Zola doesn't even have one full season of managerial experience. Rijkaard is unemployed for a reason.

So keep him, for now at least.

I agree with much of Pat Nevin's comments in his column on today's Chelsea website.

In midfield we are operating with a group of 7 players. 3 of them are 30 plus-of those only one has consistently played well. The other 4 are a youngish Mikel still learning to play aka makalele, Malouda(???), the now absent and inconsistent Joe Cole, and Kalou as an occasional contributor. Ballack and Deco have just disappeared as weapons of mass destruction. ( Good business on the part of Barcalona.)

On top of that Anelka scores goals against weaker opposition whilst DD doesn't look as if he could even play blow football.

Scolari's tactic of attacking full-backs has not worked for a time particularly since Bosingwa play is not a patch on his earlier form and I'm not convinced he can defend in a backs to the wall fashion when it gets tough. The odd mistake apart Ashley Cole and Alex have been easily our best defenders.

Getting rid of Scolari is not the answer. Discarding those players who are not producing could and maybe should be. We need to be more agressive going forward , too much "pretty passing" has become the style which has got us nowhere against the other " big" contenders.

Quaresmo was the surprise of the window for many, we can only hope Scolari is able to harness and put his skills to maximum use and get DD fit to benefit from hoped for chances.

Time for optimism, it's our best bet

Not a fan of Filipe. JT came out during the week and said that he didn't want to judge FS yet because he felt he was still on trial, or words to that effect. When I read it in the paper, I just thought JT was trying to be polite in order to avoid saying anything negative about him.

Mez

.....really happy about Quaresma though. :D

Frankly I'm amazed that so many people are still willing to make excuses for Scolari's failings. He's only here for the relative short term, so comparison with Red Nose doesn't work. This will be his last management job; he'll be here a maximum of three years - probably less, and so it seems obvious that the purpose of his appointment was to provide short term success. To move the team forward - quickly. However, the exact opposite has happened. An apparent step forward when we were beating weaker teams - before we were found out, followed by a succession of lacklustre, toothless performances.

I don't buy the aging disintegrating squad theory either. The core of the squad isn't that old. And besides there are youngsters coming through, but Scolari has largely chosen to ignore youngsters, even when we were well on top, instead preferring to stand by his apparent favourites - the usual suspects, you know who they are - no matter how poorly these particular players performed.

There's no pace you say. Oh yes there is. Ashley Cole, Bosingwa, Stoch, Kalou, Anelka, all have pace to spare - it's the way Scolari sets the team up that gives the appearance of a one-pace (slow and slower) attack.

How can anyone use failure to sign Robinho as an excuse? A manager's job is to get the best out of the players available, and this Scolari patently has not done. With all the disappointments, departures, disruption through injuries and whatever else, I still believe that the squad has enough strengh in depth to perform at a far higher standard than the non-football that's been served up lately. The amount of chances we've managed to create in the last few months is pitiful, as is the way we've repeatedly struggled against piss-poor opposition.

I agree it would probably be folly to sack him at this stage of the season. But not necessarily so - as I've stated elsewhere, the knockon effects, financial and otherwise, of failure to qualify for next season's Champions League are likely to far exceed any compensation awarded to Scolari should he be sacked in the near future.

So should we sack him now? Only if a suitable candidate is immediately available, and so the answer is probably not.However, unless there is a dramatic improvement, not just in results, but in performances, then I hope to God he's been replaced by the start of next season.

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with Scolari at all. Since he's been here, the team spirit has delapidated, our players seem unfit and apathetic, and he continues to play incompetent/off-form players week-in, week-out without fail... if Avram would come back, I'd have him in a second. (Although I'm not sure what exactly he'd do about team spirit...)

I feel the same way I did with Claudio. Nice enough bloke but should he be replaced with an O'Neill, a Moyes or even a Brown, it would take the new guy a few seconds to sort out the problems.

1. Make sure everyone, and I mean everyone, knows that he's playing for his place every week

2. Up the training levels

3. Play a formation you want to play, not one you've inherited

4. Get the kids in

5. Make some big name sacrifices (bye bye Ballack).

6. Do whatever it takes to create a team spirit again

Avram must be spending this season spitting venom at the telly when he sees us...

Sounds like a job for you and your hat Mike.

the knockon effects, financial and otherwise, of failure to qualify for next season's Champions League are likely to far exceed any compensation awarded to Scolari should he be sacked in the near future.

If we finish in 5th place, do you think the club will sack Scolari ?

If so, that gives us a whole season with a new manager and staff to concentrate on building a team good enough to win the league and domestic cups before we venture back into the champs league.....as champs.

It's completely up to Roman. If rumour is true, he has lost his interest and cease his investment in the club, he will allow Scolari to continue on, and we will be a midtable team next year. If Roman is still keen about the club, surely he will get rid of Scolari at the end of the season (assume we go empty handed again this year).

For me, Scolari is a huge letdown. Although he didnt have any European club exerpeince, I expect someone of his calibre (at international football ) to be able to adapt , and motivate players. Scolari make Grant like a propre manager, that is scary! Even Grant pulled out a match winning move against Arsenal last season, I can't remember Scolari did anything close to that. Team selection is shocking, no need to repeat here. In terms of the players quality, we are no worse than last season. He constantly complained about strikers quality, but who was the one let Pizzaro and Sheva go?

Of course we cant let him go now, who will run the team, Wilkins or Kenyon? Come Summer, dont dream about the 'Special one' , if Rijkard, Mancini, O'Neill is available, we should jump on it. At this rate, I will settle for David Moyes.

If we finish in 5th place, do you think the club will sack Scolari ?

If so, that gives us a whole season with a new manager and staff to concentrate on building a team good enough to win the league and domestic cups before we venture back into the champs league.....as champs.

I would have thought that a top four finish would be an absolute minimum requirement for the current setup, but I honestly don't know. Finishing fifth would mean we'd already have lost the Champions League money - unless we actually manage to win the thing this season, which currently seems a pretty remote possibility - and if we truly are as strapped for cash as rumour has it, then Roman may prefer to keep Scolari until the end of his contract (end of next season?) rather than bunging him a few million in compensation, and if his patience stretches to another season or two of rebuilding.

But then who knows what could happen between now and the end of this season? I'd love to think that the Quaresma signing will belatedly kickstart the season. Doubtful maybe, but you never know. At the very least, it's a sign that Roman and the board haven't given up, which I think many of us suspected was the case.

Ok, I know, maybe it seems like I'm waffling like mad, but all I can really say is wait and see how things turn out.

We must finish in the top four. I can't understand how can anyone justify anything less than that, we may not be good enough to win the title but to finish outside of the CL spot with this squad is nothing short of total embarrassment. If this turns out to be the case Scolari should be fired at the season's end, simple as that.

We must finish in the top four. I can't understand how can anyone justify anything less than that, we may not be good enough to win the title but to finish outside of the CL spot with this squad is nothing short of total embarrassment. If this turns out to be the case Scolari should be fired at the season's end, simple as that.

I would accept 5th place, but only if it fast tracks big fil's redundancy, it would be worth giving up the £20m (or whatever it is) for reaching the CL as well. And it gives us a season to rebuild the team (with what weve got) under a new coach who is capable of making plans B,C and D through to Z.

A good manager with this squad should be able to keep us top three on player ability, the question mark hangs over what can be got from the likes of Drogba which will be a big marker to how the season pans out,

If we actually have a Drogba who is interested, Anelka and Di Santo then excuses start to get thin..add to that if we can expect reasonable form from Quaresma and Kalou stuttering along nicely with a hopeful gradual inclusion of Stoch and back up from Malouda the excuses get thinner..

Midfield wise Scolari needs to find a mix that gives us options and Lampard is the only nailed on starter, Ballack and Deco are too lazy to play together on many occasions and Mikel and Belletti are OK if we really need a holding Mid,

The defence is superb no matter what silly goals we've conceded so all in all although I will still be happy to give Scolari till the end of the season I think top 3 with this lot is a fair aim.

I believe it will happen and I would never hope it wouldn't just to change a manager I didn't rate...I would rather hope it did and be proved wrong.

I still think we'll end in front of the Scousers.

If we are not in a qualifying place come may I would be thinking another change could be for the best.

Archived