Last Movie You Watched

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Not sure I can pick a favourite QT film in truth I think all of Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill Part I, Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained are brilliant. 

Possibly one of the most consistent directors in terms of quality in modern cinema, not since the early days of Martin Scorsese has there been that level of consistency in my opinion. 

Didn't care much for Basterds. It could've done with some more editing (it's too long for what it is). Brad Pitt was just bad casting and it was probably his worst performance I've seen.

Tarantino's good at mixing and matching different genres and influences and sometimes those pastiches (pastiche mash-ups?) make for some entertaining stuff, but I wouldn't say he's anywhere near as good as Scorsese. I'm not saying Tarantino is bad, though. He makes big budget b-movies and some of them are quite entertaining.

Didn't care much for Basterds. It could've done with some more editing (it's too long for what it is). Brad Pitt was just bad casting and it was probably his worst performance I've seen.

What?!!! Basterds was superb, the opening scene on the farm alone is probably one of the best in cinema of the last 10 years.. The suspense was brilliant. 

I don't think the film was too long personally but maybe that's just because the more QT the better for me. 

I thought Pitt was great as Aldo Raine, especially when trying to pass himself as an Italian in cinema... Bon jaw no

Tarantino's good at mixing and matching different genres and influences and sometimes those pastiches (pastiche mash-ups?) make for some entertaining stuff, but I wouldn't say he's anywhere near as good as Scorsese. I'm not saying Tarantino is bad, though. He makes big budget b-movies and some of them are quite entertaining.

I think he's getting there with regards to matching Scorsese's filmography personally (who funnily enough is a director who could maybe also spend some more time in editing, Wolf of Wallstreet was good fun but 3 hours was hard work). 

Personally what I love about QT is that no one can get close to what he does, I like to view his films as love letters to their genres.. heist, cowboy, samurai, war, revenge. 

A thing about QT as well, is that his films are original screenplays. Not that it particularly takes anything away from Scorsese but a lot of his bigger films are either bio-pics (Wolf of Wall Street, Aviator, Raging Bull) or adaptations (Departed, Shutter Island, Hugo). 

I think he's getting there with regards to matching Scorsese's filmography personally.

I don't think he's made even one movie as good as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or even Goodfellas, let alone matching his filmography. One thing he does have that is almost as good as what Marty does, is picking pop/rock music for his movies. The screenplays might be his own, but sometimes he's being quite cut/paste with his influences. Reservoir Dogs is my favourite Tarantino movie, but even that's heavily borrowing from different sources ("City on Fire" for example). The difference between Scorsese and Tarantino is that Marty created his style and Tarantino has a style that largely relies on borrowing from others. I don't mind if the movie is entertaining, though. 

Kubrick was famous for not sticking to one genre, but he's responsible for making classics in pretty much all the genres he tackled. Tarantino borrows from the classics and lesser known cult movies to make his "love letters". They can be quite entertaining, though.

The opening scene in Basterds was the best thing in the whole movie and it was pretty much downhill after that. There were some good parts here and there. Christoph Waltz was great.

I caught Taxi Driver late one night on BBC2 when I was a teenager and it was the film that first got me interested in cinema. I think I've re-watched that film more than any other. However good the screenplay, music and cinematography can be in (some) QT films, none of them come close to the screenplay, soundtrack and cinematography in Taxi Driver. De Niro's performance is pretty special too.

By the way, although I enjoy QT's films a lot, I always thought the dialogue is extremely over rated. It might be quite witty but it often feels very unnatural. The dialogue in MS's early films feels extremely natural (maybe part improvised?).

Edited by bluedave

I don't think he's made even one movie as good as Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or even Goodfellas, let alone matching his filmography. One thing he does have that is almost as good as what Marty does, is picking pop/rock music for his movies. The screenplays might be his own, but sometimes he's being quite cut/paste with his influences. Reservoir Dogs is my favourite Tarantino movie, but even that's heavily borrowing from different sources ("City on Fire" for example). The difference between Scorsese and Tarantino is that Marty created his style and Tarantino has a style that largely relies on borrowing from others. I don't mind if the movie is entertaining, though. 

Kubrick was famous for not sticking to one genre, but he's responsible for making classics in pretty much all the genres he tackled. Tarantino borrows from the classics and lesser known cult movies to make his "love letters". They can be quite entertaining, though.

The opening scene in Basterds was the best thing in the whole movie and it was pretty much downhill after that. There were some good parts here and there. Christoph Waltz was great.

Clearly going to have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I'm a big Scorsese fan but I think he's made he's share of take it or leave it films. You talk about QT "borrowing" from other films for his work as if that is any different from Scorsese "borrowing" Jordan Belfort's life story to make a film. Both are drawing their influences, which is pretty much true of any form of art... The Clash "borrowed" from ska/reggae to write things like Guns of Brixton.. It doesn't matter where the influence comes from if the output is as good as what QT or The Clash are giving you. 

As for all downhill in Basterds, 99% of movies would love to have a scene as good the tavern scene which saw Fassbender become a household name shortly after. Let alone the fact that QT litters his films with stuff as good as that... Waltz in the restaurant with the girl who owns the movie theatre with the tension hanging in the air about does he or doesn't he know that she's the girl who escaped the farm at the beginning. 

I'm a big Scorsese fan but I think he's made he's share of take it or leave it films. You talk about QT "borrowing" from other films for his work as if that is any different from Scorsese "borrowing" Jordan Belfort's life story to make a film. Both are drawing their influences, which is pretty much true of any form of art...

Sure, Scorsese has made some mediocre films as well, but when you've been in the business as long as him, it's bound to happen. As far as I know Jordan Belfort's story hadn't been made into a movie before Scorsese did his take on it. That's not really the same as going through your blaxploitation dvd (or vhs) shelf and picking out your favourite bits (stylewise and even the lead actress) to make something like Jackie Brown. Adapting a book for a movie script is hardly the same thing (even though Jackie Brown's script is adapted from a book). Tarantino is good at doing that kind of genre pastiche or genre mash up, but it's a fine line between creative use of influences and being derivative.

The opening scene to Inglorius Basterds is one of the best scenes I've ever seen. The suspense is unbelievable, you really find yourself on the edge of your seat. I also loved the scene soon after with the girl and the German soldier as he explained about all the people he'd killed and she was obviously disgusted. The bit where Brad Pitt was in the tavern and they catch on to his accent as well... and the final scene! Top, top film.

Finally watched The Bridge on the River Kwai and it was as good as I expected. Excellent. 9/10.

Great Expectations, the 1946 version – 6.5/10

Ruined as soon as I saw what the 19 year old Pip looked like. Christ, John Mills was clearly in his late 30's/early 40's and after checking IMDB turns out he was 38 at the time of filming. No 19 year old looks like that, especially one who was brought up in he circumstances he was supposed to have been. Thought Martita Hunt as Miss Havisham was scary as sh*t though, great casting there.

This is one occasion where I haven't read the book before seeing the film; for the classics anyway. I think the casting of Pip has completely ruined it for me. I must admit I know nothing of John Mills, I assume he must have been a big name to get cast in this role.

Great Expectations, the 1946 version – 6.5/10

Ruined as soon as I saw what the 19 year old Pip looked like. Christ, John Mills was clearly in his late 30's/early 40's and after checking IMDB turns out he was 38 at the time of filming. No 19 year old looks like that, especially one who was brought up in he circumstances he was supposed to have been. Thought Martita Hunt as Miss Havisham was scary as sh*t though, great casting there.

This is one occasion where I haven't read the book before seeing the film; for the classics anyway. I think the casting of Pip has completely ruined it for me. I must admit I know nothing of John Mills, I assume he must have been a big name to get cast in this role.

mmmmm.....what can I say....a simply superb Dickens' adaptation from David Lean no less. Probably & easily within the 30 greatest british picture ever made. How strange.....

The opening scene to Inglorius Basterds is one of the best scenes I've ever seen. The suspense is unbelievable, you really find yourself on the edge of your seat. I also loved the scene soon after with the girl and the German soldier as he explained about all the people he'd killed and she was obviously disgusted. The bit where Brad Pitt was in the tavern and they catch on to his accent as well... and the final scene! Top, top film.

Inglourious Basterds is actually Tarantino's best film. I'm a massive fan of his work, Scorsese and QT are my favourite directors.

The opening scene in the farmer's kitchen is the best I've seen in almost any film. It starts so jovially, Waltz is talking in a friendly manner. And after a few questions he all of sudden he says "You're sheltering enemies of the state, are you not?".

I remember seeing it in the cinema for the first time and I had a massive shiver run down my spine at that moment. When the camera slowly pans down the farmer's leg and through the floorboards to reveal the girls hiding under there, my sister- who was sitting next to me- audibly gasped and clapped her hand to her mouth. I was so absorbed in the scene I was on the verge of tears!

None of QT's previous work has had such an effect on me. Then there is that wonderful scene in the beer tavern which is also extremely tense. Fassbender's character being caught out just by the way he gestured for 3 drinks with his hand in a non-German way; brilliant!

Right at the end when Aldo says "You know what, this just might be my masterpiece" I found myself nodding my head.

QT's next film, Django Unchained is almost as enjoyable, however I found Waltz not as impressive as I did in Basterds.

mmmmm.....what can I say....a simply superb Dickens' adaptation from David Lean no less. Probably & easily within the 30 greatest british picture ever made. How strange.....

I can see why, the cinematography is great and of course the story itself is original, love the shots of the marshes. I suppose my rating is harsh, just don't cast a 38 year old as a 19 year old, especially when he looks 38. I'm surprised I've not come across his name before but I haven't seen any of the films listed by Richard.

I'll change to 8.5....... it is such a good film. Martita Hunt gets 10/10 for being so haunting, fantastic.

Quite honestly, especially with regards to Best Picture winner, I think they're winner is often a bad choice. 

Are you referring to 2006's winner, Crash? When it was up against Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture?

Are you referring to 2006's winner, Crash? When it was up against Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture?

As one example. 

I'd question 12 Years a Slave and Argo as recent winners. 

The Hurt Locker beating the likes of Inglourious Basterds, District 9 and Up. 

Chicago winning in 2002 ahead of Gangs of New York and The Pianist.

Shakespeare in Love beating Saving Private Ryan? 

^

Agree with all of those. Argo winning was a joke. And Slumdog Millionaire winning too, but then again that was a poor year in terms of films.

I thought Birdman was deserving of Best Picture this year though.

Quite honestly, especially with regards to Best Picture winner, I think they're winner is often a bad choice.

Perhaps with the best picture but I seldom disagree with the actor/address winner, I've been happy with the majority of the winners from the last seven years anyway.

Perhaps with the best picture but I seldom disagree with the actor/address winner, I've been happy with the majority of the winners from the last seven years anyway.

Still a lot of patting their-selves on the back and sentiment for my liking. 

As for ol' Readyman winning... Just makes me think:

tumblr_moz0rx8lzE1sqv808o1_250.gif