Robben

Zola

Robben's history of recurrent injuries is a major problem. He was out for most of last season at Munich with a hamstring injury. Granted when fit he's one of the best wingers in the game.

If he wasn't so injury prone I'd have no problem with signing him but it's too much of a gamble.

Have you missed your medication again Just?

You don't still love him ES? It would be madness to bring him back here, especially with all the NHS funding cuts.

I could see Wenger coming in for Robben. He could partner him with Robin Van Persie. Probably get half a dozen games a season out of both of them.

Would also have him back in a heartbeat. My Chelsea Nike trainers I designed would at least be half okay then too (Robben on the right, Duff on the left...)

Seriously quality player though, one of the few players still able to completely change a game IMO, injury prone or not, the guy is absolute world class and plays in a position we desperately need shoring up.

You don't still love him ES? It would be madness to bring him back here, especially with all the NHS funding cuts.

I could see Wenger coming in for Robben. He could partner him with Robin Van Persie. Probably get half a dozen games a season out of both of them.

I would only have Robben back if he visits the Wizard of Oz first for a strong.heart

Yeah he get injured a fair bit but last season he scored 23 in 37, and he usually gets through 35 games per season. not as bad as what people are suggesting. The only reason why I woucnt want him is because I'd rather bring in a younger player. But I'd be excited if he did comeback, he's a world class player.

On his day and his game, for me the best player in the world... when it happens for about 2 games a season in a 60 game season then I am with Just on this one

If we got him on the cheap as a bench dwelller/impact player then yes maybe

What a f...ing mercenary. The moment Bayern seem to be on the verge of missing out on CL he's starting to whore himself out to the potential buyers.

Great little player, mind. We're really desperate for that type of winger/forward with a bit of pace and trickery. He was a sicknote though when he was with us, did it change much since then?

It's changed a little bit. Madrid doctors identified that he had faulty movement patterns and had begun work to correct it until he moved to Bayern.

Caught between a homeopathic quack team doctor at Bayern (Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muller-Wohlfahrt) and a delusional arrogant twat (Raymond Verheijen) for the national team i'm surprised he's made any progress at all.

Yeah he get injured a fair bit but last season he scored 23 in 37, and he usually gets through 35 games per season. not as bad as what people are suggesting. The only reason why I woucnt want him is because I'd rather bring in a younger player. But I'd be excited if he did comeback, he's a world class player.

It's no secret I've never been a huge fan of Robben. Yes, on his day he is capable of turning a game. But his day never came often enough for me and practically never in the big games. Personally I've never particularly liked players who shirked the physical side of the game and Robben definately did that IMO. Yes it's understable given his massive injury record, but still, it left us exposed defensively on many occaisions.

Also as a forward analysing his scoring record, (as given on Wikipedia), is quite interesting.

He has a superb 33 in 50 in the Bundesliga (0.66 goals/games). A very decent 27 in 90 in the Dutch league (0.30 goals/games). An average 13 in 63 in La Liga (0.21). And a miserly 19 in 103 in the EPl with us (0.18).

It's no secret I've never been a huge fan of Robben. Yes, on his day he is capable of turning a game. But his day never came often enough for me and practically never in the big games. Personally I've never particularly liked players who shirked the physical side of the game and Robben definately did that IMO. Yes it's understable given his massive injury record, but still, it left us exposed defensively on many occaisions.

Also as a forward analysing his scoring record, (as given on Wikipedia), is quite interesting.

He has a superb 33 in 50 in the Bundesliga (0.66 goals/games). A very decent 27 in 90 in the Dutch league (0.30 goals/games). An average 13 in 63 in La Liga (0.21). And a miserly 19 in 103 in the EPl with us (0.18).

I do rate him very highly Just. When fit he is one of the best four or five players in the world. I don't agree he is a big game bottler. His performances for Bayern last season in the CL were exceptional and you only have to look at how much they have missed him this season to see how important he is for them. He was also excellent in the World Cup for Holland, despite playing injured.

I would have loved to see him stay at Chelsea. If he had been playing for us this season then I think we would have been a better side.

On the other hand he really is very fragile and I understand why we let him go. And I'm not even suggesting that we should re-sign him.

But given a choice between Robben and Scott Sinclair.....??

I lost any respect or support for him during the game with the dippers where we were struggling for players and needed someone to step up for us, yet Robben took a slight knock and was begging to be taken off. I think Jose basically told him to f**king man up and get on with it, yet he spent the rest of the game sulking and had no impact at all. That was it for me.

He crossed for the winner in the '07 Carling Cup final, scored away to Arsenal to kill their title challenge in Jose's second season (about as big a game as we had in the league that year, which is admittedly not saying much), and last year he hit multiple tie-winning wondergoals in the CL. Not as reliable in big games as Drogba or Lamps, but that's a fairly respectable record. I think the main reason you remember him as being crap in big games is that he never got the hang of Liverpool's defence at all and his spell with us came when we kept drawing them in every cup competition we entered.

The injury record and limited physicality/defensive workrate are bigger concerns for me; I wouldn't mind signing him if there's a plan in place to deal with those issues, but we definitely need a reliable backup if we're going to re-sign him.

• 1 month later...

Old thread I know but saw this on the rumour mill again. Class, class winger in my opinion even if he is injury prone. But God knows we desperately need some width and creativity to our game and he certainly does that.

I absolutely loved Robbin when he was here. Scored some spectacular goals especially in his first season and scared the life out of defenders. Him and Duff at their peak gave us the width and creativity we sadly lack now.

The trouble with Robbin is he is so injury prone. I think it would be a mistake to take him back. I'd be looking more at wide players like Bale, Adam Johnson, Ashley Young, Neymar.

Yes...That is exactly what Arsenal need...MORE WINGERS! HAHA

And a dozen out of Fabregas

Archived