Vintage Blues pictures and film

14 hours ago, bluehaze said:

In my opinion the most iconic Chelsea picture.

A great photo. And a wonderful reminder of the night. First player to score in every round of the FA Cup. Something great about games played under floodlights. Add to the atmosphere. Also something about black and white photos that create an atmosphere which colour can't.

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 12:58, bluehaze said:

33BC4B2000000578-0-image-a-63_1462181465116.jpg

Unsung heroes for me, Graham Roberts ex-Spurs thoroughbred was inspirational in getting back to the top flight (where he was cruelly exposed for pace), Kevin Wilson super sub and scored many important goals, Peter Nicholas who took a lot of stick and the only time I heard his name being sung was on exiting the Old Den after hammering Millwall as he walked calmly back to his parked car and lastly I think that is Kevin McAllister with the scarf over his head our winger that seemed to make the odd appearance.

15 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Unsung heroes for me, Graham Roberts ex-Spurs thoroughbred was inspirational in getting back to the top flight (where he was cruelly exposed for pace), Kevin Wilson super sub and scored many important goals, Peter Nicholas who took a lot of stick and the only time I heard his name being sung was on exiting the Old Den after hammering Millwall as he walked calmly back to his parked car and lastly I think that is Kevin McAllister with the scarf over his head our winger that seemed to make the odd appearance.

I think Roberts last game for us was when Liverpool beat us 5-2 in 89. They absolutely destroyed us we were having a pretty good season the game was in December and showed the gulf in class between the first and second division. Was a definite case of horses for courses with Roberts and Nicholas exactly the type of players you needed in the second division but not good enough for the first.

For me I remember us away to Bristol City in the Cup where they destroyed us and the ignominy as they were two leagues below us and Roberts looked a forlorn figure.

In thinking about Nicholas it reminded me of Matic and how in those defensive midfield roles they rarely get acknowledged although for me Makelele was an exception.

Edited by strider6004

Graham Roberts had a major bust up with Graeme Souness after the last Rangers home game of 1987/88. Souness blamed him in the dressing room for the Aberdeen winning goal. Roberts refused to accept this ' Words were exchanged' shall we say with Souness saying in reply to Roberts 'If I'm that bad sell me. ' Consider yourself sold. ' replied Souness.

Pre season 1988/89 Souness ordered Roberts to travel to the Highlands of Scotland with the Rangers reserve team,but was not to play. Souness then sold him to us.

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I think Roberts last game for us was when Liverpool beat us 5-2 in 89. They absolutely destroyed us we were having a pretty good season the game was in December and showed the gulf in class between the first and second division. Was a definite case of horses for courses with Roberts and Nicholas exactly the type of players you needed in the second division but not good enough for the first.

Got a feeling we lost at around the same time to Wimbledon 5-2 at home as well , wisey got at least one craker in the game for Wimbledon, the following summer we signed him and the rest is history as they say. Two home games in the space of a few weeks saw 14 goals, shame the aggregate was 10-4 in favour of the away teams. Thats Chelsea in the 1980's I suppose. Still better in those days though in my opinion.

I remember The Wimbledon defeat as the Shed was split between those supporting the players and those taking the piss out of Beasant. I actually thought at the time there would an off between a section of the Middle and the White Wall. That was when I first noticed that the barrel chested chaps leading the singing were not necessarily those that would get involved in any fisticuffs.

Yes Wise coming to the bridge was a great move at the time and remember him scoring on his debut. He certainly improved the side.

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Got a feeling we lost at around the same time to Wimbledon 5-2 at home as well , wisey got at least one craker in the game for Wimbledon, the following summer we signed him and the rest is history as they say. Two home games in the space of a few weeks saw 14 goals, shame the aggregate was 10-4 in favour of the away teams. Thats Chelsea in the 1980's I suppose. Still better in those days though in my opinion.

I remember Wisey's goal that day mainly because you could hear him shouting because there were no Wimbledon fans to drown it out.:smile:

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Interesting background I had forgotten Roberts played for Rangers.

He was signed in December 86 and played a vital role beside Terry Butcher in the Rangers central defence as Rangers won their first Championship since 1977/78.

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Interesting background I had forgotten Roberts played for Rangers.

When Butcher was injured with a broken leg in Nov 87. Roberts because temporary captain.

4 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

It's good we can also share a bit of banter over these photos and share a few memories, @bluehaze where were you sitting / standing on that day?

Fortunately I wasn't at either, my budding football career was in full swing!! But remember coming in changing rooms afrer and radio gave scores out, and teammates taking piss, you know the usual suspects all Liverpool and united fans but never been to a game!! My old man cut a forlorn figure when he arrived back from the bridge though that evening, remember a few weeks later going to palace on boxing day, Dixon scored in the first minute or so and then le saux in one of his first games equalised in last minute 2-2, happy days if only I was 20 again!!

14 hours ago, Scott said:

Tommy Langley '74-'80 40 some old goals

tommy-langley-of-chelsea-circa-august-19

Here's a story involving Tommy. Other than Chelsea, my other passion has always been greyhound racing. While on a visit to Aldershot greyhound track one Sunday, which was an unlicenced and a bit of a ramshackle, dilapidated gaff, I was walking down to the entrance with a dog I wanted graded in when, who was leaving the place and walking towards me? Tommy Langley, Gary Stanley both arm in arm with Miss World Mary Stavin! She must have been really impressed.

6 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

2987919762_fe947cc4f7_o.jpg

3027814103_2efcaae825_o.jpg

2915664911_566ccc4a00_o.jpg

2915643939_cf33dd36e5_b.jpg

2920260530_4e8b4ba5db_b.jpg

2941457289_6e15464ccf_o.jpg

2921828383_d706921080_b.jpg

2924575413_2d206488f4_b.jpg

2931794752_a69f8edae3_b.jpg

2938875913_0ed920a6be_b.jpg

2939968288_516492b9ab_b.jpg

2941449011_cd1e8ef5da_b.jpg

2967608710_d8fdb7561b_o.jpg

2966775117_2e79366385_o.jpg

2979460356_9668a5198c_b.jpg

2989788843_91d039f732_o.jpg

3029931667_58ac7f9054_b.jpg

3042438188_c38493d1d3_b.jpg

3041611213_88296e7fdb_b.jpg

Nice one Charles, particularly liked the one with Hughes scoring I think at Highbury in the semis against Wimbledon, a great picture seeing him jump so high in celebration with the fans in the background.

I also like the one with Hughes against Gary Neville, they may have once been team mates yet you can see from the physical exertions on the faces they were taking no prisoners in that exchange and it looks like Neville won that encounter.

4 minutes ago, Boyne said:

After Ossie had scored in the 1970 FA Cup Final Replay.

Image result for peter osgood

Myself dad and his friend went to Wembley, but only dad and his friend went to OT replay. I wasn't allowed to go to the replay, and remember crying my eyes out. I was only 8.

I watched the replay on our small colour telly, with about 8 - 10 people all huddled around it. I think it was only about 17" or 19" telly, but as we were one of the only families with a colour telly in our part of the street, the neighbours came by to watch.

For me the greatest Chelsea goal ever scored.  Drogba's equaliser against Bayern and Robbies v 'Boro are up there too but as a small kid it was out of this world.  The fact it took god knows how many years until I saw it again on TV makes it even more special.  My Dad and Uncle were at both matches as well as the earlier rounds, they came back from OT legless.