How to get the best out of Nando

nonotnowjim

Scored a lovely goal for spain last night after some fast build up play. Quick passing from the back, a through ball for nando to run onto (started his run about 30-35 yards away from goal, outpaced the defender and finished into the corner from 10-12 yards)

This is how to get the best from him, none of this slow build up play, allowing him to get crowded out by defenders.

video of the goal here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b_4Vwbka6E

Just watched the goal myself and thought the same. That is a 4-4-2 formation play. You never get to these situations from wingplay. I think whoever takes charge has a big question in which formation Chelsea is best at. Malouda-Drogba is the wing team. Anelka-Torres can play very well 4-4-2. Is Sturridge coming in?

Whatever the coach does Torres needs to be an integral part of the plan.

BUY Bale, Modric, Arshavin, Van Der Wiel + Neymar

Play 4-2-3-1 formation

-----------------------------------CECH-------------------------

-----VAN DER WIEL-------IVANOVIC-------TERRY-------COLE------

-------------------MODRIC-----------------LUIZ------------------

-------NEYMAR---------------ARSHAVIN---------------BALE-----

--------------------------------TORRES--------------------------

BUY Bale, Modric, Arshavin, Van Der Wiel + Neymar

Play 4-2-3-1 formation

Thats a brilliant idea, im sure ive seen it somewhere else though...

He looked clueless during the slow build up. I suppose if you can't get onto the end of a pass when Iniesta and Alonso were playing, they was no chance he can get on a pass from Malouda and Lampard. He still has the vision to run into good channels through, even not at top pace. To get most out of him, we need to play and higher tempo and more direct.

How to get the best out of Nando....hmmm

Sell him to Barca?

He just can't win with some people. Scored one goal in our system since his arrival. Comes on for Spain (who play balls to the feet) and scores in minutes. Clearly the problem isn't him.

Torres doesn't want balls shot at him from our own half at blistering speed in mid air. Drogba can handle those balls not Torres. He wants balls played behind defenders for him to sprint passed, catch it and score.

haha no definatly not! I'm just saying that even if nando wasn't here I would like to see us change our general style of play. Sorry if that wasn't clear

Footballoholic, I thought that a good few months ago, I think he has developed his upper body and it isn't "fat" but still can slow you down abit. I remember a few seasons ago can't remember the coach, but in the new season the players had changed their diets and all looked very lean. I think we went on to become champions in that year, anybody else notice this? Hopefully well see the same sort of preparation for next year!

Play 4-2-3-1 formation

Is this the line up for the World All Star XI team to play Ajax in the Van der Sar testimonial? If so then I'd have Messi instead of Bale and Xavi instead of Luiz. Apart from that the team looks fine.

yes torres most effective running the channels and off the shoulder of last defender (like darren bent) but he can also have it played into feet and will chase to the corners

our build up play start of the season was sharper and varied (not just direct) and torres would have cashed in.................last couple months we've played effectively but often too slow through the middle 3 and up to anelka who came short and all too slow

torres would benefit from player wiv some guile who can play him in - benayoun if fit, or maybe josh (if he can step up) or someone new............the other midfielders we have haven't got that in their game in my view

he needs front 6 built round him - then hell be back to 25goals plus

hopefully

How to get the best out of Nando....hmmm

Sell him to Barca?

Jesus?!

He just can't win with some people. Scored one goal in our system since his arrival. Comes on for Spain (who play balls to the feet) and scores in minutes. Clearly the problem isn't him.

Torres doesn't want balls shot at him from our own half at blistering speed in mid air. Drogba can handle those balls not Torres. He wants balls played behind defenders for him to sprint passed, catch it and score.

Thanks

In case anyone didn't pick it up, I was hardly being serious. Tongue in cheek reference to the fact that he scored for Spain, and effectively, Barcelona is Spain.

Torres has had plenty of balls played in behind defences, to his feet just the way he likes them. Its just that when that's happened his touch has let him down or hes completely scuffed the shot.

I think some people are under the false impression we hoof balls up to him and that's why he hasn't scored more, perhaps watch the games again. Id argue hes had the best service any of our strikers have received since January (which isn't saying much in fairness).

Seems everybody fell in love with him the second he signed that Chelsea contract and wanted our team immediately built around him. I want to see something more from him before we do that.

I don't care how much he cost, our starting 11 should be based on merit and not price tag/superstar name. Look at united, dropped 30 mil top scorer Berbatov for the final run in simply because the mexican lad pulled his weight more for the team

Torres has had plenty of balls played in behind defences, to his feet just the way he likes them. Its just that when that's happened his touch has let him down or hes completely scuffed the shot.

I think some people are under the false impression we hoof balls up to him and that's why he hasn't scored more, perhaps watch the games again. Id argue hes had the best service any of our strikers have received since January (which isn't saying much in fairness).

Seems everybody fell in love with him the second he signed that Chelsea contract and wanted our team immediately built around him. I want to see something more from him before we do that.

I don't care how much he cost, our starting 11 should be based on merit and not price tag/superstar name. Look at united, dropped 30 mil top scorer Berbatov for the final run in simply because the mexican lad pulled his weight more for the team

This was perhaps Ancelotti's biggest failing. Not only with Torres (your point about the service he received is debatable) but notably also with Drogba and Lampard who were both in the starting line-up when clearly unfit and/or out of form. Someone made what I thought was an interesting point yesterday that Ancelotti wouldn't be interested in the Villa job, not because of the money or because Villa aren't a bg enough team, but because of his preference for working with an established group of players rather than buklding a team.

I don't expect this to go down well, but I have to say that if you want to get the best out of Torres, sacking Ancelotti was a good pace to start.

I think at Liverpool they were a bit more direct. Basically they tried to get the ball to Gerrard or Torres as quickly as possible because the rest of their players werent really on the same level. This suited torres because generally he had more space to operate and isolate defenders in situations which he was good at.

The slower build up play of last season really didnt suit him at all, it was there for all to see. If we are to get the best out of Fernando Torres then we have to either change the system or change the speed at which we play. The new manager much address this immediately in my opinion.

The reason we won the double last season were quick passing and faster build up play. This season we started to move slowly and pass the ball slowly and that was precisley why we looked very boring and found goals hard to come. Torres is basically a victim of our slower build up passing. Carlo as an experienced coach should have done something to get it corrected.

Carlo to me also did not lay the rules strictly to define the role of each player. Had he been strict with the likes of Malouda ( who drifted in ) , Lampard ( started to shoot from improbable position ) , Anelka ( dropped too deep ) , clearly Carlo would have overcome our bad slump much sooner than we did it. I' m sure a tactically shrewd coach will help Torres bang in loads of goals !