Player Ratings v Newcastle

Cech 7/10 One or two smart saves. Dominant in the air. Flapped at one that could have led to a goal. Yes he was under pressure. It was still a ricket.

Ivanovic 7/10 I love this guy. If I could marry him I would. However he spurns my advances.

Cole 5/10 Poor for me. Bottled challenges, not least the one that led to Ameobi hitting the bar. Struggling for pace and stamina. Time to give up the fags.

Luiz 1/10 A shambles. Got caught out and should have been sent off. We can argue Cech might have got to it, but still, he was the last man and he hauled him down. We were very lucky. 90 minutes away to Newcastle with 10 men, we wouldn't have won. After that he looked shellshocked. A rabbit caught in the headlights. He just looked scared. His body language was appalling and I have serious worries about him. Ivanovic was seen berating him in the first-half and rightly so. That was appalling. His forays upfield were misguided, as he always got caught and we were left vulnerable to the counter. Someone clearly had a word at half-time, because he stayed back. I'm giving him one mark for that second-half performance but the truth is he is seriously indebted to his partner. Which brings me to ..

JT 9/10 It would have been a 10 but for his silly booking at the end. What a performance and I hope, for once, someone takes the time to analyse his performance on MOTD, and remind the watching millions why exactly this guy is England captain. He was flawless. Leading, cajoling, covering, blocking, winning every battle in the air, putting his head in where it hurts, and reading the game so effortlessly. He reminded us with this display that he is the only centre-half we can rely on, and he was back in his comfort zone, nearer the goal. Any of you watching this game later, keep an eye on our skipper, that's how you play the position. That's how you play football. God love him.

Romeu 7/10 Praise be. The manager has bared his teeth. Out you go Mikel and don't let the door slap your arse on the way out. The manager went up hugely in my estimation, because I didn't think he had the bottle to make this call. We can pick the bones out of Oriol's performance but he is young and he did remarkably well. He understands the position, he covers ground, he shifts the ball early, he keeps the momentum going, and he closes down. I love this kid and I love the manager even more for signing him. A position that needed addressing. He's addressed it.

Ramires 8/10 I love this guy. If I could marry him I would but Ivanovic may get jealous. I don't want to cause any dressing room rifts.

Lampard 5/10 First of all, he hit a through ball for Sturridge, first time, for all of you that say he can't. The fact that Sturridge missed it is neither here nor there. Those of you that blame Torres' performances on Lampard take note. Second of all, there was a bit of dissent coming off, which was sad, even if it was minimal. Sad because it was absolutely the right decision, as the game was passing him by, and sad because he wouldn't have done that under Guus, or Jose. He was pulling rank and the manager needs all the support he can get. These are difficult times. Anelka and Alex have put in transfer requests, Mikel won't be happy, we have a couple of players running down their contracts til the summer. AVB needs the stalwarts to stay strong and stay committed to the cause. Bad feeling can spread pretty quick. Torres and Malouda were probably taking note. Don't do it Lamps. You are not able to play every week anymore. Mereiles came on and made all the difference.

Drogba 7/10 Signs of the old Drogba but by and large poor. A bullet header and chest down in the second-half, from which he should have scored. There is no doubt he is giving it his all, that his head is right, and that's probably why he's being given the nod, but the old Drogba that used to terrorise defences has gone, probably forever. Well done AVB. Vindicated. However it was evident after 15 minutes of the second-half he couldn't run and you left it far too long to bring him off. He just cannot do 90 minutes anymore in my opinion. Not if he's giving it his all.

Mata 8/10 He's a beautiful man. Moments of sheer class. Moments which weren't so good. It doesn't matter. He's constantly moving, constantly linking up play, constantly trying to find the opening. He's busy. And he put in a shift. No-one can complain about his defending today. Rightly taken off. He was knackered. England is not Spain, in case you're wondering.

Sturridge 8/10 Guys, we have a gem on our hands. Yes he missed a few chances, yes his decision-making isn't always sound, but he's a threat, he's full of confidence and he's fast. Oh yeah, and he can't stop scoring. Made himself indispensable and he'll be leading the line before long. If he wants to play up front, he plays up front. He has done more than enough to deserve it. We just need a winger.

Subs ..

Mereiles 7/10 Very good. Energy, intelligence, composure. We were coming under the cosh until he came on. Steadied the ship. Played a through ball for Torres late on. That's right folks, the service that Torres thrives on. Torres was clear, he had half a yard on the defender, surely this was his time. No. Torres did the usual, only this time the ricochet ran his way and he was able to knock it back for ..

Kalou 7/10 Nice one AVB. A bit of originality. Say what you want about Kalou, he has an uncanny knack of scoring and setting up goals. He'll be gone in the summer so revel in it. He'll be doing it for someone else next term. And he'll also be falling over and dribbling himself into blind alleys.

Torres 4/10 Got an assist. That's the best I can say. Look laboured and that's putting it kindly. His body language wasn't great. Had a moan at Sturridge for not setting him up, when it was nigh on impossible for Sturridge to do so. Cut it out.

The manager ..

AVB 9/10 My only criticism is delaying the substitution of Drogba. Today we saw what AVB is all about. Not afraid to make decisions, which was the biggest criticism of Carlo. Mikel out. Lampard subbed. Torres once again on the bench. All of which was vindicated. Add that to the Alex and Anelka situation and progress is well and truly being made. Will be an interesting window. Also, his interview after. He didn't take any nonsense, when pressed on the Luiz incident and on the frolics on the bench. Stamping his authority, not just on his squad, but on the media. Well done.

The referee ..

10/10 Mike Dean at Newcastle, just after Gary Speed, I feared the worst. Just goes to show, football's a funny old game. Needlessly booked Terry but we'll let him off. It's been a long time coming Mike .. a long time coming. Top marks.

You my friend are a t**t! Luiz a 1? Torres a 4? You have let your obvious hatred for both players into your ratings! Luiz- Yes should of been sent off but he sorted himself out scond half and put in a few vital headers and blocks!

Torres- Looked very lively and put in a good 10 minute shift so how you can say his attitude was poor is beyond me! This guy is a team player look at the emotion he showed when kalou scored from his assist! This guy wants chelsea to win just as much as anyone else does!

10/10 Mike Dean at Newcastle, just after Gary Speed, I feared the worst. Just goes to show, football's a funny old game. Needlessly booked Terry but we'll let him off. It's been a long time coming Mike .. a long time coming. Top marks.

So... THIS is the one you're really going to marry?

Davey is always is always an interesting read and I'd agree with most of the marks given. Lamps, Cole, Torres and Luiz I would have given all of them a 6. Kalou would have got the same but the goal wins him the extra mark.

I am sure Luiz will be a superstar for us. Just not at centre-half. He has got "I really should be a midfielder" written all over him.

Davey is always is always an interesting read and I'd agree with most of the marks given. Lamps, Cole, Torres and Luiz I would have given all of them a 6. Kalou would have got the same but the goal wins him the extra mark.

I am sure Luiz will be a superstar for us. Just not at centre-half. He has got "I really should be a midfielder" written all over him.

Totally agree Just. He is NEVER a guy you want to rely on as last man. But he can tackle and nicked plenty of ball today and it's a great sight when he runs forward with the ball. I think he could do a great job in midfield. Lucky to stay on today but after that, deserves a 6.

Rest of the marks pretty accurate though.

I take it you turned the game off after Luiz`s "moment" then, as he was mostly excellent for the rest of the game.

Wouldn't call the rest of his game mostly excellent but maybe OK. His attempt to close down Ameobi's shot that hit the

bar was a joke and lacked guts. The man can't defend and I agree with Just in that his furture may be further up

the field.

Apart from the goal, drogba did very little. Like his last 2 starts, he was gone from the game early in the second half, could not run, hold the ball, and put through simple passes. Keep him on that long almost cost us the game. The kalou move was a gamble paid off for once, he actually lost the ball twice under no pressure when he came on, good for him he was ar the right place when Torres let him have a shoot. Torres can't score at moment , but at least makes right decision and put the team ahead of himself, can't say the same about few other players on the field.

His attempt to close down Ameobi's shot that hit the bar was a joke and lacked guts. The man can't defend and I agree with Just in that his furture may be further up the field.

Agreed Goose.

I am simply amazed that some of you are giving him a 6 ..

Let's start at the beginning. He entered the field, as he so often does, with sawdust in his head, rather than a brain. Those ten minutes at the start were comical. It was schoolboy, it was needless, and I'm afraid it was totally in character. He did exactly the same at the start of the game at Old Trafford last season and it cost us in a potential title-decider. Months on, things haven't progressed. In fact they have got worse. He gives away soft pens, makes rash challenges, picks up needless bookings, and gets caught out time and again. At QPR, we were a goal down and a man down because of him, and the game hadn't even started. This time, he was caught badly out of position, conceded a foul and got lucky. That should have been the wake-up call he needed, instead he almost gave a goal away a few minutes later. We are going for points, we are going for top four, all our rivals are winning, we simply can't afford to shoot ourselves in the foot, so regularly.

He gets sent off, not only are our chances of winning the game banished, the remaining 10 men for Tuesday are knackered. We lose and we go into that game lacking confidence. We lose and we fall behind all our main rivals, including Newcastle, and he gets banned for the next three games at a time when Alex has been marginalised.

I fear for Luiz at places like Tottenham and Anfield, because his record suggests he's vulnerable in hostile places, and he hasn't got the temperament for it, or the discipline.

His body language today was shocking. He just didn't want to take responsibility, and he had the perfect example beside him, in John Terry, who was more or less holding our defence together on his own at times. Luiz just looked shellshocked. He was beaten by Ba for the header that hit the post, and as you say Goose, in the second-half, he hardly busted a gut to block Ameobi's shot that hit the bar. Yes he played better that half, but that first-half performance was diabolical and it should have cost us. He didn't stand up and be counted. He looked like a goldfish playing in a shark's paradise.

6? Are you guys serious? How are we ever going to challenge for prizes if we can't rely upon our centre-half to do the basics? I've actually grown tired of all the fancy stuff, it doesn't impress me, not while he's a central defender. The best teams in this country invariably have centre-halves that can defend. That's what this league requires and it's about time he got used to it.

Valencia would have been watching that. With interest. Someone needs to have a stern word with him on Tuesday. Make sure his head's right. He just doesn't seem at the races at times. Valencia is a big game. He needs to keep his discipline.

Yes, he has fantastic ability. Yes he has outstanding games. Yes he can look genuinely world-class. But he costs us points and he has to learn the art of dependability, otherwise, as you say, he needs to move further up the field.

How far up the field we can only speculate ..

It took Ricky 2 seasons to get fully accustomed to the PL. The old board was full of posts bashing his rash decision making, and making jokes on him being always on his arse. All the problems Luiz has are in his head and can be coached out of him, it just takes time. I believe he has to get one or two full seasons under his belt before we can see what he really can do. I say trust him, stick by playing him at CB and he will get better. This may be not much, but I was impressed that he survived the last two matches with very early yellows. Regarding pushing him up further, let's not forget that the man has started out as a midfielder and was so bad that he almost gave up professional football. Then he was moved to the defence and bang, a few years later he ended up at Chelsea.

It took Ricky 2 seasons to get fully accustomed to the PL. The old board was full of posts bashing his rash decision making, and making jokes on him being always on his arse. All the problems Luiz has are in his head and can be coached out of him, it just takes time. I believe he has to get one or two full seasons under his belt before we can see what he really can do. I say trust him, stick by playing him at CB and he will get better. This may be not much, but I was impressed that he survived the last two matches with very early yellows. Regarding pushing him up further, let's not forget that the man has started out as a midfielder and was so bad that he almost gave up professional football. Then he was moved to the defence and bang, a few years later he ended up at Chelsea.

Good post mate. Carvalho was very rash sometimes and could be caught out, particularly in those early years as you say. However it was never like this. He was always switched on, mentally, unlike Luiz, who sometimes doesn't seem to realise the game has started. Luiz has been with us a year yet the diabolical errors are not being ironed out. Carvalho played a risky game and so does Luiz, and that's fine if that's their style. But you have to be cute. You have to have nous, and that's something Luiz is just not exhibiting. Any striker worth their salt would fancy their chances, because he's the opposite of the no-nonsense defender and I think he has to introduce a bit of no-nonsense into his game, if he wants to be a central defender in the English league. If not, go to Spain and ply your trade or go to midfield, where Jones is doing a fine job at Utd, having shown he can carry the ball from defence and play a bit. Luiz plays football like he's in the school playground, and that's great, for a neutral. Unfortunately, unlike the school playground, every elementary error costs us points, and the consequences are somewhat different. We're not at school anymore, this is the big boys' league, and he needs to master the basics before he goes about all the other stuff. Learn to walk before you can run, sort of thing. In terms of ability, he is streets ahead of Carvalho. In terms of defending, he can look worse than Titus Bramble. You can bet your bottom dollar words were said at half-time, which resulted in a more discipled and tuned-in performance. We go to Newcastle, in a very important game, confidence lacking and AVB under serious pressure, and he starts like he's asleep, letting all his teammates down. It's not good enough and it has to change. Not tomorrow but today. He is our first-choice partner for Terry, that comes with some responsibility.

I believe, like others, he can be an incredible defender if he just knuckles down. A year on from his signing, I would say the knuckling down side of things isn't going to plan.

Good post mate. Carvalho was very rash sometimes and could be caught out, particularly in those early years as you say. However it was never like this.

It was mate, it really was. Riccy was all over the place in his early career with us, he was just more sly with his shirt tugs, ankle biting etc...

It was mate, it really was. Riccy was all over the place in his early career with us, he was just more sly with his shirt tugs, ankle biting etc...

That is true. Not to mention that he was often caught out going forward to win a high ball, misjudging the flight of the ball and finding it sailing over his head.

Luiz is still very young, especially for a centre half and has (and needs) time to develop. I have no major long term concerns about him.

That is true. Not to mention that he was often caught out going forward to win a high ball, misjudging the flight of the ball and finding it sailing over his head.

Luiz is still very young, especially for a centre half and has (and needs) time to develop. I have no major long term concerns about him.

I can remember watching one of his first games (may have been against Bolton) and they just kept landing high balls on him, and he went to pieces. I remember wondering at the time how he was an international defender.....Shows what I knew.

I agree he was far cuter at the dark arts. I also agree his defending often left something to be desired. He rotated with Gallas at CB for much of his first season I recall.

I disagree that he was sabotaging us in quite the same way. As I recall, we conceded something like 15 Premiership goals, an all-time record (could be wrong). I'm not giving him all the credit for that, far from it, just pointing out that silly mistakes that led to goals, if any, were few and far between.

Luiz has already conceded 3 pens as far as I recall, and it could be more. Totally needless ones. How many games has he played for us? I don't think Carvalho was making quite the same schoolboy errors, and certainly not with such frequency. I'm talking about jaw-dropping stupidity.

Still, I agree Luiz can be a top defender, I have far more hope for him than I have for Torres, and he has the perfect partner alongside him to learn from, but learn he must, a lot more quickly.

Edited by Davey Baby

I agree he was far cuter at the dark arts. I also agree his defending often left something to be desired. He rotated with Gallas at CB for much of his first season I recall.

I disagree that he was sabotaging us in quite the same way. As I recall, we conceded something like 15 Premiership goals, an all-time record (could be wrong). I'm not giving him all the credit for that, far from it, just pointing out that silly mistakes that led to goals, if any, were few and far between.

And none of the Premiership goals we conceded came with JT & Gallas playing together in central defense, if I remember correctly. The only time they were beaten all year was by Giggs in the Carling Cup semi. Carvalho wasn't awful, but he was the weakest player of our defensive core by a mile that season (the rest being Cech, JT, Gallas, and Maka all having some of their best years for the club).

Another thing to keep in mind - Carvalho was 26 when we signed him. Luiz was 23. It's completely predictable that Carvalho would be more polished at the same stage of their Chelsea careers. Luiz does have a lot of developing still to do, but if he adapts to the league the way Riccy did he'll do just fine.

And none of the Premiership goals we conceded came with JT & Gallas playing together in central defense, if I remember correctly. The only time they were beaten all year was by Giggs in the Carling Cup semi. Carvalho wasn't awful, but he was the weakest player of our defensive core by a mile that season (the rest being Cech, JT, Gallas, and Maka all having some of their best years for the club).

Another thing to keep in mind - Carvalho was 26 when we signed him. Luiz was 23. It's completely predictable that Carvalho would be more polished at the same stage of their Chelsea careers. Luiz does have a lot of developing still to do, but if he adapts to the league the way Riccy did he'll do just fine.

Fair enough. I do recall Gallas and Terry having a formidable record that season, and I still regard them as the best centre-back pairing we've ever had.

Yes, Luiz is worse defensively than Carvalho was in his first season, and yes, age may have something to do with that, but he has been with us almost a year, and though 23 is still young, it is old enough to know better. We do not have a cat in hell's chance of winning something if he's going to continue with the comedy capers, and I'm sure we didn't spend 25 million on an international for that. Does he have an appetite to learn the basics? That's the question. So much comes down to attitude. If he has a thirst for learning to defend he'll be fine, if not, time to move further upfield.

Does he have an appetite to learn the basics? That's the question. So much comes down to attitude. If he has a thirst for learning to defend he'll be fine, if not, time to move further upfield.

Yep - he has the potential to become a great defender, we just have to hope he works hard enough and settles well enough to reach that potential.

Ahhh but we had one thing then we dont have now.... GALLAS...

what a player. For the record, I love Luiz

Player Ratings only serve let people know that they see what they want to see, and to engage in some quality revisionism.

Torres a 4 and Luiz a 1- completely unjustifiable. It seems like you've gone into the match with a number of pre conceptions and cherry picked evidence to suit your views.

It seems like you've gone into the match with a number of pre conceptions and cherry picked evidence to suit your views.

Luiz is one of the few players I said we should keep at all costs in a recent thread. I'm judging him solely by his performance on Saturday and I stick to my view. We were very lucky he didn't cost us the game. He completely bottled the first-half after that, and that's unforgiveable. He needed his teammates to have a word with him. He just seemed to be all at sea.

Now, had he been sent-off, or had his diabolical error soon after cost us, or had Ba scored from his header, or had Ameobi scored from that shot, I don't think people would be giving him a 6. He was a very lucky boy but that shouldn't alter our perception of his performance. The consequences were potentially awful, as they are tomorrow, and let me tell you, if he does it again tomorrow, and we pay, you can bet there'll be a few harsh words on these boards.

Playing for a big club means big games come thick and fast. Every game is a must-win and you have to be switched on. There are consequences to mistakes and you have to minimise them, particularly if you play in defence. In short, there's responsibility.

We won and I guess people tend to be more forgiving, but not me. One thing needed addressing after Saturday and one thing only ..

I agree to a certain extent, Luiz has so much potential, a fantastic footballer going forward. Exciting to watch

However at the back he has several moments where he is rough and a bit rash. That clumsiness needs to be taken care of ASAP.

He will win you games and lose you games.

Edited by Zola