Michael Essien

Keiron

So we all know Bison's on the comeback trail, and i as much as anyone else was disapointed with him last season..

but having just watched a vid on youtube of him of purely last year i'm wondering if we've been a little harsh on him mainly owing to his amazing form before the infamous knee injuries.

I know youtube videos can make Bogarde look like Zidane but these clips off him are against premier league teams and i'd like to know if anyone else is excited too see him back rather than writing him off?

I love him. But I'm pessimistic, for a few reasons.

I think he'll be very slow as a result of his chronic knee problems. I'm not sure he'll fit in with AVB's style. AVB prefers pacey midfielders. And he likes one-touch passing. Essien will be slow. And for years Essien has been in the Mikel mode of accepting the ball and holding it against a physical challenge. Can he adapt his game to much quicker ball movement?

I hope so, but I think he has a lot to overcome.

I have my doubts/worries, too. But since doctors have apparently blamed his knee injuries on over developed leg muscles, maybe he'll back off the weight training a bit and focus on fitness/agility/speed, etc., instead. I realize that would rob him of his some of his trademark brute force in the midfield, but in return, it might grant him speed, health, and a prolonged career.

I love him. But I'm pessimistic, for a few reasons.

I think he'll be very slow as a result of his chronic knee problems. I'm not sure he'll fit in with AVB's style. AVB prefers pacey midfielders. And he likes one-touch passing. Essien will be slow. And for years Essien has been in the Mikel mode of accepting the ball and holding it against a physical challenge. Can he adapt his game to much quicker ball movement?

I hope so, but I think he has a lot to overcome.

Essien in Mikel mode? Hardly. He is very much in the Ramires mould if you ask me. Actually the two are very alike. Ess is slower than Rambo in running but his head has always been quick. He finds people behind lines and he can run when needed. The big question is will he heal from his injuries. I'm hopeful but I think he will be cautious and that is never good. You have to be able to go all out if you play like Essien.

We'll just have to see. Glad to see him back when he makes his debut once again.

He has just turned 29, you could argue he is in his prime.

Its going take him a handful of games to get back to his level, and he will find it hard to break into the team as it is.

However, if he has rested properly and really strengthened his knee problem there is no reason why he cant come back every bit as good as before, it will just take time and patience.

Hopefully people on here give him time and don't resort to knee jerk reactions

ahem

I'm hoping he makes it back to the player he was before his injuries. He was a monster. I always feared Madrid would take him from us. I remember how he kept Messi in his pocket during the two legs, what a legend.

Top man, and when fit probably one of the best in the world.

Essien in Mikel mode? Hardly. He is very much in the Ramires mould if you ask me.

In the matches before he re-injured himself, Essien was neither quick, nor accurate with his passing. I was becoming worried that perhaps he'd never again be the player he was... and then he went and did a knee again.

I love him. But this road back may be a long one.

I think if he plays well we sell him while his value is up. His injuries have made him too expensive to keep.

He has played 1 full season in the last four. For what I can only assume is a big wage, it is insanity to keep him, as much as that pains me to say.

Well the Ramires buy seemed a bit strange to me at the time considering what else we needed, but now it makes perfect sense with Essien's future uncertain. The tradeoff is a fair one because Rambo is turning into a sensational player (if only he had shooting boots!). If he gained a bit of muscle he'd be every bit the destroyer Essien was.

Mourning him is perfectly reasonable, and I share the sentiment, but would any of you start Essien over Ramires at the moment? Thats the consolation I'm taking out of it.