The Kompany Tackle

Davey Baby

We all saw The Kompany Tackle.

City have appealed, rightly so in my opinion.

Will they be successful? Probably not is my inkling.

What do you think? Should he be successful or not?

For me, the FA have an opportunity here.

Reject the appeal and they are saying tackling has more or less been outlawed. Where there's a 50/50 to win, you better pull out, because even if you win the ball cleanly, with a smart tackle, a tough tackle, a brave tackle, with no hint of wanting to hurt anyone, you will still be punished, and the art of tackling will have more or less vanished, a good blood and thunder tackle, the sort of tackle fans love, that we want to see our players make.

Uphold the appeal and the FA are saying Chris Foy got it wrong: There is a world of difference between a two-footed tackle, the sort that endangers the opponent, and the sort of tackle Kompany made, where he had to lift his boots off the ground, in the same way we have to raise our feet to walk. Where one foot will automatically follow the other because that is the direction in which we are going.

Even at the time it seemed like a crass decision, but Foy didn't have the benefit of replays whereas the FA do. They can slow it down they can look at it from every conceivable angle.

I think they have a responsibility to the game to uphold the appeal, otherwise it's a very dark day as far as I'm concerned. It was a high-profile game. They can make a statement. A statement about the way the game is going.

What should they do .. ?

First let me say it was a good tackle! 5 years ago he would have had all the praise. But in todays game it is not allowed.

I dont think they will be successful in their appeal, as it will open up a can of worms for two footed tackles to be reviewed

2 feet off the ground = red card.

The sooner players realise this the better.

Edited by Zola

There is actually nothing in the rules of the game that even mention two footed tackles. Only that tackles must be reckless and dangerous to be a red card.

The tackle was neither of those things.

Exactly, this 2 footed thing is a misnomer and has never been a rule. Frankly if this is to be the norm then they might as well outlaw the slide tackle completely, because its impossible to do one without having your studs showing.

dkw, I agree with most of your posts (well a few anyway) but this one to me is just plane wrong. yes you have to lift your studs off the ground to do a slide tackle but you don't and shouldn't lift both feet off the ground and pointing in the direction of your opponent.

I haven't seen Kompany's tackle and generally find him to be a fair player but if a ball is between two players facing each other then you should be staying on your feet and making a block tackle, otherwise you're stretching, leaving the floor and therefore being reckless and potentially dangerous.

dkw, I agree with most of your posts (well a few anyway) but this one to me is just plane wrong. yes you have to lift your studs off the ground to do a slide tackle but you don't and shouldn't lift both feet off the ground and pointing in the direction of your opponent.

I haven't seen Kompany's tackle and generally find him to be a fair player but if a ball is between two players facing each other then you should be staying on your feet and making a block tackle, otherwise you're stretching, leaving the floor and therefore being reckless and potentially dangerous.

:laugh2: damn you....

If a player launches into a tackle with both feet of the ground recklessly then yes, its a definite red. In this case he was pretty much stationary, he went with one foot and followed with the other, though I dont know why he felt the need to follow with the other. It didnt look reckless to me, I thought it was an excellent tackle. Maybe I`m biased with being an old school centre back, but I didnt see a lot wrong with the challenge.

I couldnt find a video of it, but this still gives you an idea (though its difficult to get a full idea from a picture)

Vincent-Kompany-Red-Card.jpg

Even if Nani hadn't evaded the tackle, I don't think he could have been hurt. It was not a tackle that endangered the opponent. Kompany did not go over the top, nor did he jump off the ground with both feet, nor did he launch at the ball with both feet. It was not a dangerous tackle it was a hard tackle. This thing about studs showing is a misnomer. If they don't want studs showing they may as well do away with studs. It's ridiculous. Having said that, the appeal will definitely be rejected.

Edit: Just seen one of dkw's posts above. I should have just said I agree with him!

Edited by Davey Baby

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xniymo_manchester-city-vs-manchester-united-kompany-red-card_sport

Speaking of Kompany, apparently he rejected a move to us when he was 18.

"Chelsea approached me one-and-a-half years ago, but I told them no," Kompany told Het Laatste Nieuws.
"On my 18th birthday I could have earned there what I had when I left Anderlecht - but I'm not crazy.
"Chelsea is a factory. If you are number 26 on their pay list, you are number 26 on the field too. I did not want to play Russian roulette with my career."

Wise move.

Here's a video - http://www.caughtoffside.com/2012/01/08/video-vincent-kompany-sent-off-for-nani-tackle-in-manchester-derby/

To be honest I think it was harsh, since he seemed to go in with two feet to attempt to control the ball with his other rather than making any sort of scissoring motion... but he still went in two footed, off the ground albeit it slightly, and it is dangerous.

I think a yellow would've sufficed, but technically it is a red card. Saying that, if the ref deemed it a fair tackle I don't think United would've felt too aggrieved, but I really don't think City stand a chance with an appeal.

Looks fine in the stills but I don't think seeing the video it was a good challenge, of course you're going to win the ball if your legs are that far apart and off the ground but there is no way you're going to avoid going through on the player. I was a defeder when I played and I think the art of tackling has been lost from the game but people rarely used to tackle with two feet back when the game was played by men and they shouldn't be doing it now.

:laugh2: damn you....

If a player launches into a tackle with both feet of the ground recklessly then yes, its a definite red. In this case he was pretty much stationary, he went with one foot and followed with the other, though I dont know why he felt the need to follow with the other. It didnt look reckless to me, I thought it was an excellent tackle. Maybe I`m biased with being an old school centre back, but I didnt see a lot wrong with the challenge.

I couldnt find a video of it, but this still gives you an idea (though its difficult to get a full idea from a picture)

Vincent-Kompany-Red-Card.jpg

I dont know anymore. When I first saw it I thought it was outrageous and, considering that he slowed WAY down going into that tackle, I thought the amount of harm he couldve done was minimal. And it really was, in full motion. But the angle he went in at was wrong, and had it been faster and caugh nani a bit sooner he couldve done a much worse job on him.

However, I can see that the FA being in a very tough spot have decided to side with the referee. Theyre making the safe play, and probably the better one from where they sit. Obviously not better to the fans that couldnt give a damn about the officials and hate them anyway.

This is a very tough call. I wonder what City fans make of it. Their next few games arent critical, but Kompany is so immense for them.

For me it wasn't even a foul. Confirmation of that is further strengthened for me by the fact the tackle was on Nani. If any player was going to make a point of this tackle being a foul and dangerous then it was him. He didn't even bat an eyelid on this occasion. In fairness to the referee though I will say it looked a dangerous challenege from the angle he was looking at but when you see the view from behind Kompany you can see the actual tackle was only with one foot. Game is played by a bunch of pansies these days. I wonder what the likes of Ron Harris makes of it all.

If it didn't even occur to NANI to make a meal of it, how can it be a red? :biggrin:

I don't think it was but Kompany should know better than using both legs in ANY tackle in todays game. Its always Russian roulette with these ridiculous refs. Condolences to City for suffering the nightmare that is Foy but thats life at the top.