Player Ratings v Napoli

Nibs

Having slept on it and now posting rationally, sure we can all point the finger at AVB for his selection – so easy in hindsight, but as many have pointed out, as much as Cole, Essien and Lamps were all shoe-ins at their peak, now is not their peak and from what we have witnessed this season are they really any improvement on the players selected last night? Maybe? Maybe not?

My ratings anyway

Cech. Couple of good saves early on but what was he doing for that third goal? 6

Ivan. Started well and carried the ball forward brilliantly a couple of times. At one point looked like he was going to do a John Barnes vs Brazil! At fault for the 2nd and looked shakier than usual. 6

Cahill. Not terrible but not JT either. 6

Luiz. Love the bloke but it’s now been said too often. The guy has at least one mistake in him EVERY match and it doesn’t seem he is ever going to learn from that. On that basis I would play him in midfield (where we are clearly lacking) and leave the CB position to those that can be relied upon. 6

Bos. Not on long enough to earn a mark.

Cole. He didn’t start because he clearly isn’t 100%. One great goal line clearance but he still struggled. 6

Miereles. Looked exactly what he is last night. An average squad player. Lost count of the mis-placed passes and at fault for the all-important first goal to get them back in it. 4

Ramires. Just seemed off the pace. Ran about a lot and had one glorious chance which he skied. 5

Malouda. He was better than he has been but still not the kind of performance that is going to win us big games. 6

Mata. Was our MOTM but that’s not saying a lot. He is our main (only?) real bit of class currently but did chose the wrong option on a couple of occasions – one where Sturridge would have been clean through. 7

Sturridge. Frustrating again. Doesn’t show enough urgency at times and too often thinks he’s been fouled instead of getting on with the game. Needs to roll his sleaves up and fight for the cause more. BUT he is a threat and at times has great feet. 6

Drogba. Huffed and puffed without ever really getting anywhere near top gear. He wants to be everyones friend these days and takes too much time shaking opponents hands and patting them on the back. He ‘aint the Drogba of old. 5

Cech

Kept us in it with some great early saves, but completely lost the plot for their third goal. 6

Ivanovic

No where near as solid or dependable as he usually is. Still, never stopped trying. 5

Cahill

Could have got out quicker for two of the goals, still adapting I guess. 5

Luiz

Unfair to place blame solely with him. Cech gave him no option to knock it back, no shout to clear it, and Cole lost his man. 6

Cole

Great goal line clearance and generally looked good, but didn't track back for the third goal. 6

Ramires

Not his usual self, not even close. Constantly gave the ball away, created a great chance from nothing which he unfortunately wasted. 4

Miereles

Very wasteful, and looked completely out of his depth in the holding midfield role against real quality. Should not have been put in that position. 3

Malouda

A decent performance, didn't do a lot wrong, but fairly uninspiring stuff. 6

Mata

Again showed his quality and took the goal well. Can't help but shake the feeling he's still not as effective for us as he could be though. 7

Sturridge

Frustrating, wasteful and stroppy. Yet still has some real quality. His decision making, selfishness and willingness to drop to the floor and stay there needs to change. 5

Drogba

Ineffective. But unfortunately Torres didn't leave the manager with much option. Was barely involved in the game, especially in the second half. 5

Would agree with that Nibs with the exception of I would lower Ramires to a 4. He frequently and easily lost the ball in the middle of the park last night, much like Miereles (Redknapp the younger on sky seems to think he's called Morales)

When a ship is sinking I imagine the crew run around trying to look professional but panicking inside. The panic would only increase when the admiral insists on talking to the owner on phone and on wearing a uniform that is 1 size too small. Plus he's just decommissioned two of the three main lifeboats and the third has a hole in it.

That's what we looked like last night.

Cech - 6 Gives a good interview. Might form a dream management team with Frank some day. Messed up for the third goal but it can't be easy playing in goal for us these days.

Bosingwa - 1 Looked as if he didn't want to be there right from the kick off. He either faked that injury or he was shot by someone in the stands - the Chelsea end.

Cole - 6 Did his best to appear totally disinterested when getting his instructions from Admiral Brown. Not surprising given that the instructions were

"Your role in tonight's project is an effectuation of full back positionated on the port side. I have the full backing of the owner in this instruction giving scenario".

Luiz - 6 Has anyone ever said that while he's totes lovable he looks like he has a mistake in him every game?

Cahill - 6 Adequate enough if there are degrees of adequacy. Looks like he should be playing for a team like Bolton.

Ivanovic - 6 Started very well but then defended like a schoolboy, albeit a schoolboy with an enormous backside.

Miereles - 3 With all that ink in his bloodstream it's hardly surprising he has the odd bad game. Last night for the first goal he reminded me of Sir Robin in The Holy Grail

"When danger reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled"

If you sliced Frank straight down the middle his weaker side would have done better.

Ramires - 5 The other side of Frank would have sufficed here. Watching these two last night made me pine for Mikel which is a bit like pining for syphilus.

Malouda - 6 What can I say?

Mata - 8 Looks tired from carrying the entire Chelsea project on his slender shoulders.

Drogba - 7 At least the Napoli defence realised they were in a game. Has acquired an amount of gravitas maybe in comparison the the lightweights around him.

Sturridge - 7 Has anyone ever said he looks dangerous with the ball at his feet but needs to get his head up more?

The Referee - 8 Now that we're crap UEFA don't conspire against us anymore. I miss that.

Admiral Brown - 4 He's beginning to remind me of Ranieri and that's not good at all.

When a ship is sinking I imagine the crew run around trying to look professional but panicking inside. The panic would only increase when the admiral insists on talking to the owner on phone and on wearing a uniform that is 1 size too small. Plus he's just decommissioned two of the three main lifeboats and the third has a hole in it.

Cole - 6 Did his best to appear totally disinterested when getting his instructions from Admiral Brown. Not surprising given that the instructions were

"Your role in tonight's project is an effectuation of full back positionated on the port side. I have the full backing of the owner in this instruction giving scenario".

Miereles - 3 With all that ink in his bloodstream it's hardly surprising he has the odd bad game. Last night for the first goal he reminded me of Sir Robin in The Holy Grail

"When danger reared its ugly head he bravely turned his tail and fled"

If you sliced Frank straight down the middle his weaker side would have done better.

Rare gems.

Drogba. Huffed and puffed without ever really getting anywhere near top gear. He wants to be everyones friend these days and takes too much time shaking opponents hands and patting them on the back. He ‘aint the Drogba of old. 5

i noticed that too, i miss the intensity, I wanna see some bite from the old drog. shake hands after the match when youve stuck a couple in the net.

Luiz is a big frustration. For most of the match he played very well but his one poor decision cost us a crucial goal at a crucial time. Having said that, I think the rest of the defence and midfield need to take some of the blame too. Although Luiz ought to have put the ball in to row Z there was still quite a lot of poor defending before the ball went in the net. Cole for not running with Cavani. Cech for being all over the place. Whoever ought to have been tracking Lavezzi.

I wish people would f**k off saying that about Bosingwa, that's 3 people now I've seen implying he was faking injury. Seriously: f**k. Off.

Did you expect anything else blize? I'm no Bos fan but if he pulled or tore his hamstring like it looked, don't understand why we're taking the mick out of our own players. If he's training tomorrow then I'll eat my words and agree, but I doubt it.

Cech - Good saves in the first half, but in no mans land for the 3rd goal. 6

Bossy - Hard to judge him for only 10 minutes. 4

Cole - Goal line clearence gives us hope, but caught ball watching for the 3rd goal. 6

Luiz - Getting better, but needs to cut out his default setting of 1 big error per game. 6

Ivan - Caught napping for the 2nd goal, solid enough otherwise. 6

Cahill - Done ok, passing can be sloppy though. 6

Miereles - Fail to see what he brings to the team. Can't pass, can't shoot and certainly can't tackle. Surely 3 of the most important things on a midfielder's CV. 3

Ramires - Bad day at the office, passing was sloppy, ball control was poor & missed a great chance to put us back in front. He's only human i suppose - 4

Malouda - One of his better games, but not someone to roll his sleeves up when the going gets tough. - 6

Mata - Decent game and smart finish for the goal - 7

Sturridge - Dangerous, but still plays like a raw teenager, needs to run with his head up more. - 6

Drogba - Not that bad, but not that good. Feeding off scraps though. It almost don't matter who's up front anymore, they are all starved of any service. - 6

Lampard - Done ok, no better than ok though, but at least he can pass the ball and shoot straight. - 5

Essien - Steady but not spectacular, should of started IMO - 6

Edited by 2211

I wish people would f**k off saying that about Bosingwa, that's 3 people now I've seen implying he was faking injury. Seriously: f**k. Off.

He wasn't faking injury, but his inclusion must be some kind of sick Portuguese hedonism, along with that of Meireles. :-(

Agree with Liams appraisal, this so called "project" is getting me down now and all that's left is to have a sense of humour about it. :-(

Cech - Good saves in the first half, but in no mans land for the 3rd goal. 6

Bossy - Hard to judge him for only 10 minutes. 4

Cole - Goal line clearence gives us hope, but caught ball watching for the 3rd goal. 6

Luiz - Getting better, but needs to cut out his default setting of 1 big error per game. 6

Ivan - Caught napping for the 2nd goal, solid enough otherwise. 6

Cahill - Done ok, passing can be sloppy though. 6

Miereles - Fail to see what he brings to the team. Can't pass, can't shoot and certainly can't tackle. Surely 3 of the most important things on a midfielder's CV. 3

Ramires - Bad day at the office, passing was sloppy, ball control was poor & missed a great chance to put us back in front. He's only human i suppose - 4

Malouda - One of his better games, but not someone to roll his sleeves up when the going gets tough. - 6

Mata - Decent game and smart finish for the goal - 7

Sturridge - Dangerous, but still plays like a raw teenager, needs to run with his head up more. - 6

Drogba - Not that bad, but not that good. Feeding off scraps though. It almost don't matter who's up front anymore, they are all starved of any service. - 6

Lampard - Done ok, no better than ok though, but at least he can pass the ball and shoot straight. - 5

Essien - Steady but not spectacular, should of started IMO - 6

Thankyou! I keep hearing people saying put sturridge in the middle and he will score. If the people saying this actually watched us play then they would realise it dosn't matter who plays there because they get nothing all game from the midfield. The scrutiny is mostly on torres because we payed 50 million for him but the fact is drogba has been just as ineffective and I don't blame either of them. I don't remember the last time we got one of our cf in behind the opposistion defence. Torres makes the runs but is never found and drogba a couple of times last night was the same.

Liam-----------class,....... agree with nearly all but would take 2 points off both Drogs & Daniel.... Drogs, obv pushing for move to Naples in the summer, only thing left was to kiss those ugly fcukers.... Daniel, I thought he was auditioning for Saturday nights on ice, or a case of "its my ball and I'm taking it home!" AVB, why oh why did he mention a "project".........the press will ram this up his arse for the length of his Chelsea career!!!

Edited by saran75