Is the FA cup really worth anything today?

bluedrake55

the FA cup competition is run solely to maximise earning a fortune from the fans and to show the world what a wonderful organisation the FA are. funny how fans turn up for all types of games but when it comes to the actual final, only a small percentage will get to wembley. i suppose they have to make their money from somewhere because the england team sure as hell can't!

bit of a negative view...sure it's a shame how tickets are priced and amount handed out, but given our lack of silverware for years and years at one point, I never tire of seeing us go for a trophy...what happened on sunday was magical and I will love it if we beat Liverscum too...sure it has put an extra strain on our league and champs league games too, but just don't think we can take chance of winning any silverware lightly

Not sure what your point is . The final has always been a mare to get tickets for and this goes way back with the FA giving tickets out to every team that entered ? never been any different so hardly a new thing and 45% of the ground will be fans not massive but not a small percentage ?

Its a top knockout comp, we have a great chance in a dismal season up until 2 months ago at winning a trophy,

it could be argued that all of modern football is one big money making rip off, FIFA's WC comp is the biggest with its tax free revenues deposited directly to swiss banks....but what the Fark else are we all gonna do with our free time ?

when JT goes up to lift the FA cup..........

It is worth it now we got the dippers in the final, we can't let them have a decent trophy to brag about for the next 10 years :wink:

But in all seriousness, the FA cup is still a big trophy that I would want us to go for every season and no take it easy like the Carling cup. Yes I would prefer winning the League or Champions League but it is still a great trophy to win;

No doubt that the FA Cup has been devalued this past 10 years or so but I'm really glad as a club Chelsea have always taken it very seriously.

I think it's a great competition and will always mean so much more to me than the Champions League circus. Whilst I want us to win I'm still pretty ambivalent about the game tomorrow whilst Sundays game meant the world to me. A semi final against Spurs at Wembley, yup I'll have some of that please and you can stick your Barca up your Ovrebo.

Doesnt hold the magic it once had..Especially with not travelling to Villa park or old traffford for the semis....In the early stages of the cup its only exciting if weve pulled a top named team..I personally dont feel the force till at least the QF..Or perhaps im just becomming an old fart

Living overseas the broadcasts are limited somewhat. Living in the UK as a kid the entire day was about the FA Cup Final, the lead up, breakfast with the players, etc right up until KO, not sure if they have that anymore? I think the competition has diminished somewhat for the bigger clubs, that's not to say its a lame competition like the Carling Cup far from it. Teams used to play with their first 11, now the top teams due to the number of other European competitions tend to play 2nd string players especially in the early rounds but there again the squads weren't that big when I was a kid...one sub and that was it...oh well that's progress and still a nice historic trophy for the cabinet.

Every trophy is worth something to a mid-table team like us.....

lol

But yeah, I think the FA Cup is still a great prize (certainly better than the League Cup, which we generously let Liverpool win to make their fans less bitter)

Any one who went to the game on Sunday would not be asking this question. (or watched it on TV, surely, surely you gauged just what it meant?)

Also, regarding the pricing, the (decent) tickets we had were £9 cheaper than what we paid to sit in the Shed against Wigan the week before, so really, for a semi final against Tottenham I thought it was pretty f**king reasonable. Some tickets were only £30 too.

I think winning any cup is a boost to a team.

Something I heard a Liverpool fan say about the carling cup, "it's only a mickey mouse trophy when you don't win it" and I agree.

You'll find most out there that diminish its prestige and sentiment are the ones who no longer have a chance to win it

Edited by Martin_plumb

Those of you who are complaining about the FA Cup, Europa League, League Cup not being good enough, have

a read of this

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1905326025

Everything counts in large amounts.

My era was the Vialli era, when things were still very good, albeit a lot of talk about debt, but we still

had it very good, and growing up with a lot of success, I still appreciate everything.

Call me simple, but I'm still happy when we win a Charity Shield (or Community Shield, whatever you want to call it) :smile:

Edited by Six Times

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it does allow us to get into a European league of some sort, which is significant. It also ensures that the season isn't a complete waste.

However, the UCL is much the bigger prize in this context, given that it gives us a gateway to UCL soccer/football, greater potential prize money and possibly ability to attract stars. We've also never won it, obviously.

Edited by DaRick